Visual Basic Programming (Reading and displaying an value from RS232)

I am woindering if i can use visual basic to be able to read an input from a serial port and then display the value sent in a real time graph.

My circuit contains a PIC16F876 connected to a digital thermoneter i will be reading the value from the digital thermoneter in a set delay and then wanted to output this value to the computer via RS232 using a MAX232 at the start, then using a RS232 radio (ER400TRS) link, both of witch will be feed into the serial port of the computer. what i wanted to know will i be able to read the value coming in from my sensor circuit and display it value in a graph in real time using visual basic.

if you know of any places where i can get information to do this it will be greatly appericated

many thanks webby15

Comments

• : I am woindering if i can use visual basic to be able to read an input from a serial port

Yes. Add a MSComm control to your form. It's more or less intended for use with modems, but can communicate with anything connected to a specified COM port. Just have the right settings fed to the control.

Hope I helped,
    Nikolay Semov

• : I am woindering if i can use visual basic to be able to read an input from a serial port and then display the value sent in a real time graph.
    :

You absolutely can do this!

: My circuit contains...

It doesn't much matter what the external hardware is, as long as it produces proper RS-232 output to your computer.
    :
    : if you know of any places where i can get information to do this it will be greatly appericated
    :
    Take a look at the MSTERM example program included with VB6. Also, consider this (from one of my many previous posts on this subject!):

1) Use a terminal program such as HyperTerm. If you can't make it work there, then cabling, handshaking, or protocol is the problem. If the terminal program won't work, VB will never work.

2) Practice sending commands in HyperTerm and receiving the data back. Once this is working, duplicate the process in VB.

3) Look back on my previous posts on serial communications for more ideas.

Post here and let us know how you do.

: many thanks webby15

You're welcome!

[purple]Melissa[/purple]