setjmp and longjmp

Has anybody tried using setjmp and longjmp in their codes..I am trying to use them. I am aware that they are not very much preferred except for exceptional situations...Has anyone had experience using it.. had any problems with it...??Pls let me know.
Thanks

Comments

• : Has anybody tried using setjmp and longjmp in their codes..I am trying to use them. I am aware that they are not very much preferred except for exceptional situations...Has anyone had experience using it.. had any problems with it...??Pls let me know.
    : Thanks
    :

I used them occasionally in MS-DOS 16-bit c programs. They cannot be used at all in c++ programs. I never recall having any problems with them, just have to make sure that setjmp() is called before attempting to do a longjmp().
  • : : Has anybody tried using setjmp and longjmp in their codes..I am trying to use them. I am aware that they are not very much preferred except for exceptional situations...Has anyone had experience using it.. had any problems with it...??Pls let me know.
    : : Thanks
    : :
    :
    :
    : I used them occasionally in MS-DOS 16-bit c programs. They cannot be used at all in c++ programs. I never recall having any problems with them, just have to make sure that setjmp() is called before attempting to do a longjmp().
    :
    Thanks for your message.. I am trying to use them to recover from core dumps that happen occasionally... I am trying to use it in C programs in AIX platform.. Have u had luck using it for similar situations??
  • : :
    : Thanks for your message.. I am trying to use them to recover from core dumps that happen occasionally... I am trying to use it in C programs in AIX platform.. Have u had luck using it for similar situations??
    :

No, but you should correct the problem that causes the core dumps instead of applying a band-aid solution that will probably bite you in the a$$ something in the future.
  • : : :
    : : Thanks for your message.. I am trying to use them to recover from core dumps that happen occasionally... I am trying to use it in C programs in AIX platform.. Have u had luck using it for similar situations??
    : :
    :
    :
    : No, but you should correct the problem that causes the core dumps instead of applying a band-aid solution that will probably bite you in the a$$ something in the future.
    :
    Yes, I know that this is not preferred.. We are trying to catch the core dumps from a third party product which we have no control over.. And a great deal of thought had gone in, before this option was even considered...
  • : :
    : Yes, I know that this is not preferred.. We are trying to catch the core dumps from a third party product which we have no control over.. And a great deal of thought had gone in, before this option was even considered...
    :

I don't think setjmp and longjmp is going to help you correct bugs in 3d party programs. Go back to them, b1tch-slap them a few times, and tell them to fix their bugs :-)