Testing RAM

I want to write an application to test RAM. The program should take into consideration about the paging mechanism of any OS.
How to proceed further. Can anybody out there help me?

-Thanks in advance
-Tom

Comments

• : I want to write an application to test RAM. The program should take into consideration about the paging mechanism of any OS.
    : How to proceed further. Can anybody out there help me?

IMO, DOS is the best OS for creating such a program. Put the CPU into flat real mode and all the memory is there for the poking without any hardware or software tricks getting in your way.

Somewhere else in this forum I discussed some memory testing methods with another user. Maybe you can dig them up with a search.

-jeff!

• Thanx jeff,
    But I dont want to go for 16 bit app. I want to build app in 32 bit & later extend it to 64 bit.
    Can you please point me exavct loction where you have discussed about this in this forum.

Thankx
    -Tom
    : : I want to write an application to test RAM. The program should take into consideration about the paging mechanism of any OS.
    : : How to proceed further. Can anybody out there help me?
    :
    : IMO, DOS is the best OS for creating such a program. Put the CPU into flat real mode and all the memory is there for the poking without any hardware or software tricks getting in your way.
    :
    : Somewhere else in this forum I discussed some memory testing methods with another user. Maybe you can dig them up with a search.
    :
    : -jeff!
    :
    :
    :

• : Thanx jeff,
    : But I dont want to go for 16 bit app. I want to build app in 32 bit & later extend it to 64 bit.

well, good luck with that! Sorry I can't you then. O/Ses only get in the way when you want to talk directly to the hardware like this. The more O/S installed when you're testing memory, the more areas you have to avoid testing to keep it from crashing...

: Can you please point me exavct loction where you have discussed about this in this forum.

it's on page 2 of this forum. This link should take you there.

http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=19&MsgID=287487&Setting=A9999F0002

-jeff!