Text based console games...

I need a library that provides the following:
o Text based graphics control (cursor placement, etc)
o Keyboard scanning (without echo or stopping the program to wait for input)
o Bonus points for portability
o Bonus points for rudimentary sound control (Beeps and tweets are fine)

The ones that I know of are:
curses.h - UNIX only, posts exits for windows but they seem flakey. I've tried using then and been disapointed.
conio.h - Borland only, but I understand that VC++ has something similar (anybody know what it is/how it works?)

Does anyone else have sugestions?

Comments

• : I need a library that provides the following:
    : o Text based graphics control (cursor placement, etc)
    : o Keyboard scanning (without echo or stopping the program to wait for input)
    : o Bonus points for portability
    : o Bonus points for rudimentary sound control (Beeps and tweets are fine)
    :
    : The ones that I know of are:
    : curses.h - UNIX only, posts exits for windows but they seem flakey. I've tried using then and been disapointed.
    : conio.h - Borland only, but I understand that VC++ has something similar (anybody know what it is/how it works?)
    :
    : Does anyone else have sugestions?
    :

[blue]
    Hello, Guesst, I could give you a hint on creating a system for your keyboard, which does not echo and gives you key values at a realtime rate and a set of functions that give you access to the video memory where the characters of the screen and their attributes (color and blinking/highlight), but only in C/C++ for DOS. (that's the only system I know)
    Also you can use Joystick in your game (though not much use in a text based adventure game...). The functions for the PC-speaker in Borlands' C++ are [green]sound([red]freq[/red]); delay([red]del_factor[/red]); nosound();[/green].
    If you want me to help Post a Reply.

[b]AddyK[/b]
    [/blue]

• : [blue]
    : Hello, Guesst, I could give you a hint on creating a system for your keyboard, which does not echo and gives you key values at a realtime rate and a set of functions that give you access to the video memory where the characters of the screen and their attributes (color and blinking/highlight), but only in C/C++ for DOS. (that's the only system I know)
    : Also you can use Joystick in your game (though not much use in a text based adventure game...). The functions for the PC-speaker in Borlands' C++ are [green]sound([red]freq[/red]); delay([red]del_factor[/red]); nosound();[/green].
    : If you want me to help Post a Reply.
    :
    : [b]AddyK[/b]
    : [/blue]

Hmmm, actually I'm having a hard time getting sound, delay, and nosound to work in the latest version of the free BCC32. Does anyone know why this is? Does VC++ have anything to fix this?
  • :
    : : [blue]
    : : Hello, Guesst, I could give you a hint on creating a system for your keyboard, which does not echo and gives you key values at a realtime rate and a set of functions that give you access to the video memory where the characters of the screen and their attributes (color and blinking/highlight), but only in C/C++ for DOS. (that's the only system I know)
    : : Also you can use Joystick in your game (though not much use in a text based adventure game...). The functions for the PC-speaker in Borlands' C++ are [green]sound([red]freq[/red]); delay([red]del_factor[/red]); nosound();[/green].
    : : If you want me to help Post a Reply.
    : :
    : : [b]AddyK[/b]
    : : [/blue]
    :
    : Hmmm, actually I'm having a hard time getting sound, delay, and nosound to work in the latest version of the free BCC32. Does anyone know why this is? Does VC++ have anything to fix this?
    :
    [blue]
    Ok, I think I know why it doesn't work with VC++. I think it may be because sound, nosound, delay, were made only to be used in C/C++ for MS-DOS and not Windows or any Windows-Console aplication.
    I only know how to work in MS-DOS. I suggest using Borland C/C++ v3.1 or Watcom C/C++. [green](Borland for 16 bit coding, Watcom for 32 bit coding)[/green]
    If you think about sticking to Windows programming(VC++) you better find another set of functions for sound or the equivalent.
    If you think about going MS-DOS-ish [b]:)[/b] I might be able to answer some questions (maybe a lot of questions). I think it's even easyier than VC++.
    Send reply if you want me to help.

[b]AddyK[/b]
    [/blue]

• : If you think about sticking to Windows programming(VC++) you better find another set of functions for sound or the equivalent.
    : If you think about going MS-DOS-ish [b]:)[/b] I might be able to answer some questions (maybe a lot of questions). I think it's even easyier than VC++.
    : Send reply if you want me to help.
    :
    : [b]AddyK[/b]
    : [/blue]
    No, I have nothing against MS-Dos programming. Heavens knows that's my roots, heaven's knows. But my major issue lately has been keeping code portability and compatibility across the board as much as possible. If it turns out that I can't do that with console apps I may just have to forego the ASCII graphics and go with OpenGL, or the like. We'll just have to see.