console cursor postition

Hi, I'm trying to move the cursor (not mouse cursor) within the console window. As I understand I can use a function in conio.h called gotoxy(). I cant get this to work. Does anyone know how I can move the cursor so I can print text anyware in the console window I want.

I would really like to print a menu of options and above that, I would like the user to enter their selection.

And I DONT want to use MFC or anything that calls windows.h

Right now, I'm using Dev-C++ 4 as a compiler.

~Eric

Comments

• : Hi, I'm trying to move the cursor (not mouse cursor) within the console window. As I understand I can use a function in conio.h called gotoxy(). I cant get this to work. Does anyone know how I can move the cursor so I can print text anyware in the console window I want.
    :
    : I would really like to print a menu of options and above that, I would like the user to enter their selection.
    :
    : And I DONT want to use MFC or anything that calls windows.h
    :
    : Right now, I'm using Dev-C++ 4 as a compiler.
    :
    : ~Eric
    :

Well guess what, there is no way to do things like that in standard C/C++.

You're working on Windows so there's nothing wrong with using windows.h and other windows specific header files to do your console manipulations.

If you're trying to write a cross-platform program then you'll need to either use OS specific code for each platform's build or you'll need to use a cross-platform library that does what you need.

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• : : Hi, I'm trying to move the cursor (not mouse cursor) within the console window. As I understand I can use a function in conio.h called gotoxy(). I cant get this to work. Does anyone know how I can move the cursor so I can print text anyware in the console window I want.
    : :
    : : I would really like to print a menu of options and above that, I would like the user to enter their selection.
    : : And I DONT want to use MFC or anything that calls windows.h
    : : Right now, I'm using Dev-C++ 4 as a compiler.
    : : ~Eric
    :
    : Well guess what, there is no way to do things like that in standard C/C++.
    :
    : You're working on Windows so there's nothing wrong with using windows.h and other windows specific header files to do your console manipulations.
    :
    : If you're trying to write a cross-platform program then you'll need to either use OS specific code for each platform's build or you'll need to use a cross-platform library that does what you need.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

or you could work around wiht fancy macros

#define a macro like changeCursor(x,y)
    and make it a wrapper(is that correct terminology?)

[code]
    #define changeCursor(x,y)
    winchangecur(x,y)
    [/code]

winchangecur is the real function(or macro, i dont think you need a function for that)

then use only changeCursor in ur code, but as u port the program, write a new function and place it there in changeCursor's definition instead of winchangcur

by the way, i would like to know how you do that using only the API, not MFC, non C++

thanx you two
    {2}rIng
  • : : : Hi, I'm trying to move the cursor (not mouse cursor) within the console window. As I understand I can use a function in conio.h called gotoxy(). I cant get this to work. Does anyone know how I can move the cursor so I can print text anyware in the console window I want.
    : : :
    : : : I would really like to print a menu of options and above that, I would like the user to enter their selection.
    : : : And I DONT want to use MFC or anything that calls windows.h
    : : : Right now, I'm using Dev-C++ 4 as a compiler.
    : : : ~Eric
    : : Well guess what, there is no way to do things like that in standard C/C++.
    : : You're working on Windows so there's nothing wrong with using windows.h and other windows specific header files to do your console manipulations.
    : : If you're trying to write a cross-platform program then you'll need to either use OS specific code for each platform's build or you'll need to use a cross-platform library that does what you need.
    : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    : or you could work around wiht fancy macros
    :
    : #define a macro like changeCursor(x,y)
    : and make it a wrapper(is that correct terminology?)
    :
    : [code]
    : #define changeCursor(x,y)
    : winchangecur(x,y)
    : [/code]
    :
    : winchangecur is the real function(or macro, i dont think you need a function for that)
    :
    : then use only changeCursor in ur code, but as u port the program, write a new function and place it there in changeCursor's definition instead of winchangcur
    :
    : by the way, i would like to know how you do that using only the API, not MFC, non C++
    :
    : thanx you two
    : {2}rIng
    :

Using macros to wrap OS specific code is the same as what I already mentioned when I said "use OS specific code for each platform's build"

For Windows, look for SetConsoleCursorPosition()
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/console_functions.asp

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• : : : : Hi, I'm trying to move the cursor (not mouse cursor) within the console window. As I understand I can use a function in conio.h called gotoxy(). I cant get this to work. Does anyone know how I can move the cursor so I can print text anyware in the console window I want.
    : : : :
    : : : : I would really like to print a menu of options and above that, I would like the user to enter their selection.
    : : : : And I DONT want to use MFC or anything that calls windows.h
    : : : : Right now, I'm using Dev-C++ 4 as a compiler.
    : : : : ~Eric
    : : : Well guess what, there is no way to do things like that in standard C/C++.
    : : : You're working on Windows so there's nothing wrong with using windows.h and other windows specific header files to do your console manipulations.
    : : : If you're trying to write a cross-platform program then you'll need to either use OS specific code for each platform's build or you'll need to use a cross-platform library that does what you need.
    : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : or you could work around wiht fancy macros
    : : #define a macro like changeCursor(x,y)
    : : and make it a wrapper(is that correct terminology?)
    : : [code]
    : : #define changeCursor(x,y)
    : : winchangecur(x,y)
    : : [/code]
    : : winchangecur is the real function(or macro, i dont think you need a function for that)
    : : then use only changeCursor in ur code, but as u port the program, write a new function and place it there in changeCursor's definition instead of winchangcur
    : : by the way, i would like to know how you do that using only the API, not MFC, non C++
    : : thanx you two
    : : {2}rIng
    :
    :
    : Using macros to wrap OS specific code is the same as what I already mentioned when I said "use OS specific code for each platform's build"
    :
    :
    : For Windows, look for SetConsoleCursorPosition()
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/console_functions.asp
    :
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :
    Here is a good site with tutes on console windows:

http://www.adrianxw.dk/SoftwareSite/index.html
  • wow, this site is really cool: http://www.adrianxw.dk/SoftwareSite/index.html thanks for all the information. i didnt realize there was a windows.h file that comes with dev-c++. i really like that site b/c it allows you to draw things on a console window.

thanks everyone!
    Eric