Can Anyone.......

Can anyone give me some tips, hints, or any kind of help for vb.net?
sbogert

Comments

• lol.... General questions usually don't get answered. But I am feeling nice tonight! Here are a few things to keep in mind.

- Use Try,Catch,Finally statements for error handling throughout your code.

- Use the Debug and Trace classes if your application is complex, or will require troubleshooting after implementation.

- Avoid late binding it KILLS performance (you may have to google that if you dont know what late binding is).

- Even if your just learning, make a design document. It can be as simple as a dataflow, and business logic. But it is a very good habit to make them before you start then update as necessary. If you want to do it right I HIGHLY recommend creating UIDs for all objects, process, etc... in design and commenting the UID in the code to relate it to the doc.

-Oh yeah comment everywhere, good habit, saves time in the future makes code. Doesn't have to explain the sytaxj ust what the goal of the line(s) is.

-use some naming convention for the variables, many people still use the Hungarian notation which is fine. However it is based on prefixing with the data type, which in VB.NET is not as useful since you should be using well defined objects. I personally use a scope prefix which to me is infinitely more useful.... Whatever you do be diligent to keep it uniform in your code.

prefix" Used for:
    g_ Global
    m_ Class,structure,interface member
    p_ Public Property on class,struc,interface
    l_ local member declared in a Sub or Funciton
    v_ local Parameter passed by Value into a sub or function
    r_ local parameter passed by reference into a sub of function

-Make all class members private and create Public properties if they need to accessed by another object.

~rlc
  • : Can anyone give me some tips, hints, or any kind of help for vb.net?
    : sbogert
    :

Read the book Professional Visual Basic.NET by Francesco Balena. It is prob. the best book on the VB.NET language itself, touching base on every important aspect of the .NET Framwork.
  • That is great book, have it myself, if you are making more complex or commercial software check out "Designing Enterprise Applications w/ ms vb.net" by Robert Ian Oliver. Goes over alot of useful things, not a beginners book, but not overly complex either.

~rlc
  • : : Can anyone give me some tips, hints, or any kind of help for vb.net?
    : : sbogert
    : :
    :
    : Read the book Professional Visual Basic.NET by Francesco Balena. It is prob. the best book on the VB.NET language itself, touching base on every important aspect of the .NET Framwork.
    :
    : Where can I get the book?