How do I make a Form access a database?

Comments

• Can you give some more information as your question has many solutions, and it's difficult to say wich way is best

• I'm making a student information program for my EAST Lab facilitator, and I want to make it where the student will fil out the open form, and sbumit it. From there, I want it to go to a database that my facilitator can access from his computer only. I've yet to design the form that the students will see, but I will for sure have a btnSubmit for the action of sending the form to the database. My problem is what code do I need to use? Thanks for your help!

~Compuwizjr

• : I'm making a student information program for my EAST Lab facilitator, and I want to make it where the student will fil out the open form, and sbumit it. From there, I want it to go to a database that my facilitator can access from his computer only. I've yet to design the form that the students will see, but I will for sure have a btnSubmit for the action of sending the form to the database. My problem is what code do I need to use? Thanks for your help!
    :
    : ~Compuwizjr
    :
    :
    I don't think I would use databinding, you could verify the data and fill the SQL code with the real values when the student clicks on the SUBMIT button...
  • : I'm making a student information program for my EAST Lab facilitator, and I want to make it where the student will fil out the open form, and sbumit it. From there, I want it to go to a database that my facilitator can access from his computer only. I've yet to design the form that the students will see, but I will for sure have a btnSubmit for the action of sending the form to the database. My problem is what code do I need to use? Thanks for your help!
    :
    :
    :
    I have a question for you, have you tried purchasing programming books for VB.net database and etc. One or two good books will answer all of these kind of questions. There are times when I have run into more specialize problems and if my experience in programming and the books didn't help, I posed the problem here. You will be suprised how much fundamental knowledge these books will add to your skill level. What code you need to write may be none, if you learn how to use VB.net correctly the form and the code may be generated automatically for you. If you are using 2003 VB.net, "think" Dataform or better yet try it and see what you get. We have no idea what your database is about you give that info to .net it will work for you.
  • : : I'm making a student information program for my EAST Lab facilitator, and I want to make it where the student will fil out the open form, and sbumit it. From there, I want it to go to a database that my facilitator can access from his computer only. I've yet to design the form that the students will see, but I will for sure have a btnSubmit for the action of sending the form to the database. My problem is what code do I need to use? Thanks for your help!
    : :
    : : ~Compuwizjr
    : I have a question for you, have you tried purchasing programming books for VB.net database and etc. One or two good books will answer all of these kind of questions. There are times when I have run into more specialize problems and if my experience in programming and the books didn't help, I posed the problem here. You will be suprised how much fundamental knowledge these books will add to your skill level. What code you need to write may be none, if you learn how to use VB.net correctly the form and the code may be generated automatically for you. If you are using 2003 VB.net, "think" Dataform or better yet try it and see what you get. We have no idea what your database is about you give that info to .net it will work for you.
    :
    I would have to agree, a good book or two can go a long way...
  • Okay, now I have a Question for you. How do I create a server SQL database?

~Compuwizjr

• : Okay, now I have a Question for you. How do I create a server SQL database?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    What database application were you planning to use?
  • What database application are there to choose from?

~Compuwizjr

• : : Okay, now I have a Question for you. How do I create a server SQL database?
    : : ~Compuwizjr
    : What database application were you planning to use?
    :
    You can use Access, SQL etc.... what is more important is how much you already know. Are you good with Access? That is good basic starting point. Do you have any exp. with SQL and its servers like MSDE, 2000 or the new 2005 Express etc. Are you good with DBase that can also be used as your database. Have you used any of these? You tell us what you know... And what are you trying to do with this application you are building....
  • I'm planning on using Access. I know how to make a normal table in Access, but I've been told that creating a database for normal uses and creating one for programming is slightly different. Is this true?

~Compuwizjr

• : I'm planning on using Access. I know how to make a normal table in Access, but I've been told that creating a database for normal uses and creating one for programming is slightly different. Is this true?
    :
    :
    :
    From what I remember it was fairly simple, the problems I ran into was with permissions... you will need some basic knowledge of SQL statements for selecting, inserting, updating and deleting "datarows". If you use Visual Studio to create the objects instead coding them manual it is alot easier to work with. I still recommend you get a book as the SQL statements are a little different than traditional. You might want to consider MYSQL or MSDE for the database as they allow multiple connections easier.

• I don't recall there being any real difference, however if you wish you can make a Access DB in the ODBC manager for windows. Just make a new system or user DSN and you will have a option to select DB format and create DB. This will not add any objects to the DB.

~rlc
  • [b][red]This message was edited by jbassmanp at 2005-11-23 7:32:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : I don't recall there being any real difference, however if you wish you can make a Access DB in the ODBC manager for windows. Just make a new system or user DSN and you will have a option to select DB format and create DB. This will not add any objects to the DB.
    :
    : ~rlc
    :
    I have found that if you have the access database in tact aready bring it into VB using OleDB works great. As mentioned earlier if you use the Dataform option it will do almost all of the work for you. It will setup the fields on the form for you (you may desire to move them around a little to new locations). It will create all of the code for you(add, delete, udpate and cancel, the only thing you will need is specalized coding. Try it I beleve you will like it...