Whats the best editor to create java apps?

Hi guys,
Whats the best editor to create Java Applications?
cheers

Comments

• : Hi guys,
    : Whats the best editor to create Java Applications?
    : cheers
    :
    notepad...jk

Editor only? I use an IDE called JCreator, its real nice. If you donwload the Java API, you can tell JCreator its location and you can view the pages and search them from it. Its real useful.

Netbeans is also very popular, i don't use it though.

When i don't want to open up the IDE, i use Notepad++, its a nice editor that supports quite a few langs.

Well, there, thats my list. Still, u can still use notepad and javac, works fine!

{2}rIng
    :

There is no "best". But, I prefer Ecplipse. It is completely free, is extensible in ways most other java IDE are not, including the ability to use it to build apps in other languages, like c or c++. There are free add-ons for nearly anything imaginable. It also makes it easy to set compiler warning and error levels, which makes it easier to find code tht does nothing or could potentially cause trouble. What I like best is that it compiles automatically as you go so you know, nearly instantly when you made an error that draws a compiler error or warning.

All the well known ones are fine, try em all out and see what you like.
    [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]

:

I used Netbeans for a few years before I discovered Eclipse. Now I use Eclipse - I love it! :D

/* No Comment */

• : : Hi guys,
    : : Whats the best editor to create Java Applications?
    : : cheers
    : :
    :
    : I used Netbeans for a few years before I discovered Eclipse. Now I use Eclipse - I love it! :D
    :
    : /* No Comment */
    :
    :

Eclipse? Hmm...

Constantly compiling?!?!!?, more like analyzing, if that is correct terminology...it wouldn't constantly generate code and overwrite the output class, could it?

Anyhow, it seems like it would take much CPU power...constantly...now i have a lightning speed computer, but i tend to be conservative still...so there.

Eclipse sounds intresting still though. Tell me more info...developer, site...other stuff
    cool
    {2}rIng
  • : Eclipse? Hmm...
    :
    : Constantly compiling?!?!!?, more like analyzing, if that is correct terminology...it wouldn't constantly generate code and overwrite the output class, could it?
    :
    : Anyhow, it seems like it would take much CPU power...constantly...now i have a lightning speed computer, but i tend to be conservative still...so there.
    :
    : Eclipse sounds intresting still though. Tell me more info...developer, site...other stuff
    : cool
    : {2}rIng
    :

http://www.eclipse.org

/* No Comment */

• : : : Hi guys,
    : : : Whats the best editor to create Java Applications?
    : : : cheers
    : : :
    : : I used Netbeans for a few years before I discovered Eclipse. Now I use Eclipse - I love it! :D
    : : /* No Comment */
    :
    : Eclipse? Hmm...
    :
    : Constantly compiling?!?!!?, more like analyzing, if that is correct terminology...it wouldn't constantly generate code and overwrite the output class, could it?
    :
    : Anyhow, it seems like it would take much CPU power...constantly...now i have a lightning speed computer, but i tend to be conservative still...so there.
    :
    : Eclipse sounds intresting still though. Tell me more info...developer, site...other stuff
    : cool
    : {2}rIng
    :

Perhaps not constant, but every time a save is done, which for me is very often, close enough to constant. Yes, it does recompile into .class files except when a syntax error is found. It is very handy and helps to speed things up.
    [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]

• Go for Netbeans. Eclipse and netbeans do almost all the same things (early error warnings, etc etc etc...)
    I've found netbeans for GUI design to be much more stable and faster. It doen't mess up the GUI design when you touch it and doesn't dump code in odd places. (Once ecplise dumped a handler in commented code)
    Netbeans stores seperate form files that describe the GUI stuff and these work wonderfully if you use some or other VCS, built-in or external for editing by more than one person at the same time.

Worked on a project a while ago with 3 friends (Univeristy project) and one used Eclipse. There were constant bickerings about which is better so... as I like netbeans for many reasons, here's a biased but true view:

Ecplise has 'this' feature. :P
    Oh... oh wait, here it is in netbeans under some other menu. :)

Eclipse: Sorry, just a few minutes, I'm synchronising. (not on slow PC)
    Netbeans: Fine. I'll design the next form so long.

Netbeans: Alright, I'm done and opened the other project. Run the server.
    Eclpise: Just waiting for response. CPU is being hogged. I plan on rebooting.

Ecplise is supported by so and so company for development.
    Netbeans is from Sun, Java is from Sun... Ra ra ra!

Also, easy switching between active projects in netbeans, one of which was mobile phone app.

BUT, if you're going for either of these, get all the free RAM you can get. It runs via Java which is inherently memory craving. Quite often the java process (running netbeans, and I believe ecplise was the same) uses almost 300MB memory after a half day's coding.

Netbeans can also put resources in the .jar file like ecplise, but the way of doing this is different so just click around any time you think some feature does not exist. The only exception we found was the 'quick fix' in eclipse. This is not really that bad and the safe part of 'fix imports' is present in netbeans at least.

And lastly, Netbeans is just pretty.
  • I think all of these IDE's are really great, but for a person who is iniciating himself in java, the should have IDE is BlueJ, because it has an UML class diagram generator, and it really helps to understand the relationship between all the classes,interfaces, and abstract classes of the projects.
    I do think eclipse and netbeans are IDE's for more advanced programmers, not for newbies.
    One more thing I like to add is that, the fact that netbeans is extremely great for making GUI's isn't a good thing for the person who uses the IDE, well first because it strangles the person to the IDE, making for the person impossible to make GUI's in another IDE, or mainly on the notebook, why? Because, it makes the person unaware of how to do GUI's(Well... the netbeans will do the work for me)... that is not good programming.
    I must confess I never tryed that much netbeans, but I for a fact have it on my computer, maybe someday it would be usefull, but in the battle Eclipse vs Netbeans, I would definetly choose Eclipse, simple because it is more straightforward than Netbeans, it hasn't that extended options that netbeans has, and it was made by IBM :)