.NET Framework Problems

I have written many programs in the past two years using C# and the pograms have run without problem. I am now getting reports that the programs will no longer run after updating the .NET framework.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• : I have written many programs in the past two years using C# and the pograms have run without problem. I am now getting reports that the programs will no longer run after updating the .NET framework.
    :
    : Any suggestions?
    :
    :

I ahd this problem, it was somthing silly like .NET framework had installed framework 1.1 amd 2.0.
    Think i uninstalled one of them. Not totally sure - wait for someone to reply.
  • : I have written many programs in the past two years using C# and the pograms have run without problem. I am now getting reports that the programs will no longer run after updating the .NET framework.
    :
    : Any suggestions?
    :
    :

It should be backwards compatible.

However, upgrading .NET does not overwrite the old version, it creates another Framework folder side-by-side w/ your old version. Your original apps can still point to the old framework.
  • : : I have written many programs in the past two years using C# and the pograms have run without problem. I am now getting reports that the programs will no longer run after updating the .NET framework.
    : :
    : : Any suggestions?
    :
    : It should be backwards compatible.
    :
    : However, upgrading .NET does not overwrite the old version, it creates another Framework folder side-by-side w/ your old version. Your original apps can still point to the old framework.
    :
    How do I do that?

• First off, installing a newer version of the Framework automatically installs the version side-by-side w/ your old version. So nothing gets overwritten. You can verify this by going to this folder:

C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework

Inside you will see a folder for each .NET version you have installed.

Pointing your app to a particular version depends on the app type.

If it's a ASP.NET web app, then you can go into IIS (web server) and change the file extension mappings like so:

1. Open IIS
    2. Right click on web or virtual directoy -> Click Properties
    3. Under the Directory tab, click the Configuration button
    4. Edit each ASp.NET extension and make sure they point to the correct aspnet_isapi.dll located in the .NET Framework folder version folder:

[code]
    C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework[italic]version[/italic]
    [/code]

ex.

[code]
    C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322
    [/code]

If it's a desktop application:

You can add this to the app.config file:

[code]

[/code]

This tells which Fremwork version should ru the code. Go here for more info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gnconSupportedRuntimeElement.asp

I'm speculating that this would work inside an ASP.NET pages Web.Config file as well.

• : First off, installing a newer version of the Framework automatically installs the version side-by-side w/ your old version. So nothing gets overwritten. You can verify this by going to this folder:
    :
    : C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework
    :
    : Inside you will see a folder for each .NET version you have installed.
    :
    : Pointing your app to a particular version depends on the app type.
    :
    : If it's a ASP.NET web app, then you can go into IIS (web server) and change the file extension mappings like so:
    :
    : 1. Open IIS
    : 2. Right click on web or virtual directoy -> Click Properties
    : 3. Under the Directory tab, click the Configuration button
    : 4. Edit each ASp.NET extension and make sure they point to the correct aspnet_isapi.dll located in the .NET Framework folder version folder:
    :
    : [code]
    : C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework[italic]version[/italic]
    : [/code]
    :
    : ex.
    :
    : C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322
    :
    : If it's a desktop application:
    :
    : You can add this to the app.config file:
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : This tells which Fremwork version should ru the code. Go here for more info:
    :
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gnconSupportedRuntimeElement.asp
    :
    : I'm speculating that this would work inside an ASP.NET pages Web.Config file as well.
    :
    :
    :

• : : First off, installing a newer version of the Framework automatically installs the version side-by-side w/ your old version. So nothing gets overwritten. You can verify this by going to this folder:
    : : C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework
    : : Inside you will see a folder for each .NET version you have installed.
    : : Pointing your app to a particular version depends on the app type.
    : : If it's a ASP.NET web app, then you can go into IIS (web server) and change the file extension mappings like so:
    : : 1. Open IIS
    : : 2. Right click on web or virtual directoy -> Click Properties
    : : 3. Under the Directory tab, click the Configuration button
    : : 4. Edit each ASp.NET extension and make sure they point to the correct aspnet_isapi.dll located in the .NET Framework folder version folder:
    : : [code]
    : : C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework[italic]version[/italic]
    : : [/code]
    : : ex.
    : : C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322
    : : If it's a desktop application:
    : : You can add this to the app.config file:
    : : This tells which Fremwork version should ru the code. Go here for more info:
    : : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gnconSupportedRuntimeElement.asp
    : : I'm speculating that this would work inside an ASP.NET pages Web.Config file as well.
    :
    :
    Okey I have an app called MP3player.exe but when I search for MP3player.config no file is found.

Dir /s mp3player.config

Where would it be stored. Or perhaps there is none for this app.