beginner on image procesing

hi
i have posted this message in the c beginners secito, but maybe this the right place for it. the question is the next: how can i load an image into a variable in c? i suppose this variable must be an array, which dimensions depend on the type of image. i do not know either this can be done by using a standard c library. if this is not the case, any suggestion about how to start working?

thanks

cacaramba

Comments

• : hi
    : i have posted this message in the c beginners secito, but maybe this the right place for it. the question is the next: how can i load an image into a variable in c? i suppose this variable must be an array, which dimensions depend on the type of image. i do not know either this can be done by using a standard c library. if this is not the case, any suggestion about how to start working?
    :
    : thanks
    :
    : cacaramba
    :
    Well, you can use memory also to do this instead of an array. But this also depends on you use DOS or Win32. Anyway, here's a link for some C graphs library that may help you out:
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/app/search/search.aspx?SearchMode=1&SearchTxt=c+library+graphics

If you want to develop your own graph lib, you need to know some formats, this is a link to a File Format Encyclopedia:
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/Download.asp?FileID=923

An array in this case does not need to be multidimensional, just a twodimensional array. But this is only if you need a constant size image, such as 100x100.
    [code]
    int image[100][100]
    [/code]
    But, remember that you can also store image in memory.

Or, you could just load the file directly onto the screen.

Hope this lil info helps you out.
    Any questions? Just ask!

:-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)

• : : hi
    : : i have posted this message in the c beginners secito, but maybe this the right place for it. the question is the next: how can i load an image into a variable in c? i suppose this variable must be an array, which dimensions depend on the type of image. i do not know either this can be done by using a standard c library. if this is not the case, any suggestion about how to start working?
    : :
    : : thanks
    : : cacaramba
    : Well, you can use memory also to do this instead of an array. But this also depends on you use DOS or Win32. Anyway, here's a link for some C graphs library that may help you out:
    : http://www.programmersheaven.com/app/search/search.aspx?SearchMode=1&SearchTxt=c+library+graphics
    :
    : If you want to develop your own graph lib, you need to know some formats, this is a link to a File Format Encyclopedia:
    : http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/Download.asp?FileID=923
    :
    : An array in this case does not need to be multidimensional, just a twodimensional array. But this is only if you need a constant size image, such as 100x100.
    : [code]
    : int image[100][100]
    : [/code]
    : But, remember that you can also store image in memory.
    :
    : Or, you could just load the file directly onto the screen.
    :
    : Hope this lil info helps you out.
    : ****************
    : Any questions? Just ask!
    :
    : :-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)
    :
    :
    :
    i also want to know how this is done. in your example, how do you assign a 100x100 bmp file for example named "trial.bmp" to the 2 dimensional array variable image. im very confused in this part. tnx!
  • [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2006-2-3 18:32:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : hi
    : : : i have posted this message in the c beginners secito, but maybe this the right place for it. the question is the next: how can i load an image into a variable in c? i suppose this variable must be an array, which dimensions depend on the type of image. i do not know either this can be done by using a standard c library. if this is not the case, any suggestion about how to start working?
    : : :
    : : : thanks
    : : : cacaramba
    : : Well, you can use memory also to do this instead of an array. But this also depends on you use DOS or Win32. Anyway, here's a link for some C graphs library that may help you out:
    : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/app/search/search.aspx?SearchMode=1&SearchTxt=c+library+graphics
    : : If you want to develop your own graph lib, you need to know some formats, this is a link to a File Format Encyclopedia:
    : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/Download.asp?FileID=923
    : : An array in this case does not need to be multidimensional, just a twodimensional array. But this is only if you need a constant size image, such as 100x100.
    : : [code]
    : : int image[100][100]
    : : [/code]
    : : But, remember that you can also store image in memory.
    : : Or, you could just load the file directly onto the screen.
    : : Hope this lil info helps you out.
    : : ****************
    : : Any questions? Just ask!
    : : :-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)
    : i also want to know how this is done. in your example, how do you assign a 100x100 bmp file for example named "trial.bmp" to the 2 dimensional array variable image. im very confused in this part. tnx!
    :
    [blue]
    Just loop it. Example..[/blue][code]
    const int iWidth = 100, [green]//image width/height[/green]
    iHeight = 100;

char* image; [green]// your loaded image[/green]

int pixels[iHeight][iWidth]; [green]// destination (assuming 24 bpp image)[/green]

[green]// copy the image[/green]
    for ( int y = 0; y< iHeight; y++)
    for ( int x=0; x<iWidth; x++)
    pixels [y][x] = image [x+y*iWidth];[/code]
    [blue]
    The formula [b]x+y*iWidth[/b] can be used to retrieve an element
    (in this case, pixel) at an x/y location in linear memory.

This will [b]only[/b] work if "image" and "pixels" are
    the same bit depth. If they are not, you will need to
    convert it.

Hope this helps!
    ~mt2002[/blue]

• : [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2006-2-3 18:32:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : hi
    : : : : i have posted this message in the c beginners secito, but maybe this the right place for it. the question is the next: how can i load an image into a variable in c? i suppose this variable must be an array, which dimensions depend on the type of image. i do not know either this can be done by using a standard c library. if this is not the case, any suggestion about how to start working?
    : : : :
    : : : : thanks
    : : : : cacaramba
    : : : Well, you can use memory also to do this instead of an array. But this also depends on you use DOS or Win32. Anyway, here's a link for some C graphs library that may help you out:
    : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/app/search/search.aspx?SearchMode=1&SearchTxt=c+library+graphics
    : : : If you want to develop your own graph lib, you need to know some formats, this is a link to a File Format Encyclopedia:
    : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/Download.asp?FileID=923
    : : : An array in this case does not need to be multidimensional, just a twodimensional array. But this is only if you need a constant size image, such as 100x100.
    : : : [code]
    : : : int image[100][100]
    : : : [/code]
    : : : But, remember that you can also store image in memory.
    : : : Or, you could just load the file directly onto the screen.
    : : : Hope this lil info helps you out.
    : : : ****************
    : : : Any questions? Just ask!
    : : : :-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)
    : : i also want to know how this is done. in your example, how do you assign a 100x100 bmp file for example named "trial.bmp" to the 2 dimensional array variable image. im very confused in this part. tnx!
    : [blue]
    : Just loop it. Example..[/blue][code]
    : const int iWidth = 100, [green]//image width/height[/green]
    : iHeight = 100;
    :
    : char* image; [green]// your loaded image[/green]
    :
    : int pixels[iHeight][iWidth]; [green]// destination (assuming 24 bpp image)[/green]
    :
    :
    : [green]// copy the image[/green]
    : for ( int y = 0; y< iHeight; y++)
    : for ( int x=0; x
    #include

[green]/* definition of both bitmaps height and width */[/green]
    #define BITMAPX 352
    #define BITMAPY 292

[green]/* structure to contain data for one pixel */[/green]
    typedef struct {
    float r,g,b; [green]/* color data varies for each color from 0-255 */[/green]
    }RGB; [green]/* they are floats just for convinience */[/green]

[green]/* two 352x292x24 bit bitmaps containing about to be compared images */[/green]
    RGB bitmap1[BITMAPX][BITMAPY],bitmap2[BITMAPX][BITMAPY];

[green]/* variables to hold number of pixels, current pixel and match so far */
    /* and match for current pixel */[/green]
    float pixels=BITMAPX*BITMAPY,current_pixel=0;
    float match=0,currentmatch=0;

main()
    {

[green]/* now we start looping through all pixels in our bitmaps comparing */
    /* according pixels to each other */[/green]
    int posx, posy, currentpixel;
    for(posx=0;posx<BITMAPX;posx++){
    for(posy=0;posy<BITMAPY;posy++){
    currentpixel++;

[green]/* this is where actual comparison takes place */
    /* given that all three basic colors are on different axis */
    /* match between them can be calculated using */
    /* vector length equation */[/green]
    currentmatch=sqrt(pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].r-bitmap2[posx][posy].r,2)+pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].g-bitmap2[posx][posy].g,2)+pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].b-bitmap2[posx][posy].b,2));

match=((match*currentpixel)+currentmatch)/(currentpixel);
    }
    }

match=100-match/2.56;

printf("%f",match);
    }
    [/code]

but i cant seem to load the image properly to the two dimensional arrays that I declared. how can I for example load an image named "try.bmp" to bitmap1 and "try1.bmp" to bitmap2. thanks!
  • : : [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2006-2-3 18:32:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : hi
    : : : : : i have posted this message in the c beginners secito, but maybe this the right place for it. the question is the next: how can i load an image into a variable in c? i suppose this variable must be an array, which dimensions depend on the type of image. i do not know either this can be done by using a standard c library. if this is not the case, any suggestion about how to start working?
    : : : : :
    : : : : : thanks
    : : : : : cacaramba
    : : : : Well, you can use memory also to do this instead of an array. But this also depends on you use DOS or Win32. Anyway, here's a link for some C graphs library that may help you out:
    : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/app/search/search.aspx?SearchMode=1&SearchTxt=c+library+graphics
    : : : : If you want to develop your own graph lib, you need to know some formats, this is a link to a File Format Encyclopedia:
    : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/Download.asp?FileID=923
    : : : : An array in this case does not need to be multidimensional, just a twodimensional array. But this is only if you need a constant size image, such as 100x100.
    : : : : [code]
    : : : : int image[100][100]
    : : : : [/code]
    : : : : But, remember that you can also store image in memory.
    : : : : Or, you could just load the file directly onto the screen.
    : : : : Hope this lil info helps you out.
    : : : : ****************
    : : : : Any questions? Just ask!
    : : : : :-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)
    : : : i also want to know how this is done. in your example, how do you assign a 100x100 bmp file for example named "trial.bmp" to the 2 dimensional array variable image. im very confused in this part. tnx!
    : : [blue]
    : : Just loop it. Example..[/blue][code]
    : : const int iWidth = 100, [green]//image width/height[/green]
    : : iHeight = 100;
    : : char* image; [green]// your loaded image[/green]
    : : int pixels[iHeight][iWidth]; [green]// destination (assuming 24 bpp image)[/green]
    : : [green]// copy the image[/green]
    : : for ( int y = 0; y< iHeight; y++)
    : : for ( int x=0; x
    : #include
    :
    : [green]/* definition of both bitmaps height and width */[/green]
    : #define BITMAPX 352
    : #define BITMAPY 292
    :
    : [green]/* structure to contain data for one pixel */[/green]
    : typedef struct {
    : float r,g,b; [green]/* color data varies for each color from 0-255 */[/green]
    : }RGB; [green]/* they are floats just for convinience */[/green]
    :
    : [green]/* two 352x292x24 bit bitmaps containing about to be compared images */[/green]
    : RGB bitmap1[BITMAPX][BITMAPY],bitmap2[BITMAPX][BITMAPY];
    :
    :
    : [green]/* variables to hold number of pixels, current pixel and match so far */
    : /* and match for current pixel */[/green]
    : float pixels=BITMAPX*BITMAPY,current_pixel=0;
    : float match=0,currentmatch=0;
    :
    :
    : main()
    : {
    :
    : [green]/* now we start looping through all pixels in our bitmaps comparing */
    : /* according pixels to each other */[/green]
    : int posx, posy, currentpixel;
    : for(posx=0;posx<BITMAPX;posx++){
    : for(posy=0;posy<BITMAPY;posy++){
    : currentpixel++;
    :
    : [green]/* this is where actual comparison takes place */
    : /* given that all three basic colors are on different axis */
    : /* match between them can be calculated using */
    : /* vector length equation */[/green]
    : currentmatch=sqrt(pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].r-bitmap2[posx][posy].r,2)+pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].g-bitmap2[posx][posy].g,2)+pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].b-bitmap2[posx][posy].b,2));
    :
    : match=((match*currentpixel)+currentmatch)/(currentpixel);
    : }
    :
    : match=100-match/2.56;
    :
    : printf("%f",match);
    : [/code]
    :
    : but i cant seem to load the image properly to the two dimensional arrays that I declared. how can I for example load an image named "try.bmp" to bitmap1 and "try1.bmp" to bitmap2. thanks!
    :
    [blue]
    Do you have a bitmap loader? If so, load the bitmap to heap
    memory, and copy it to the array (as I posted).

If you dont have a loader, making one is easy. The Win32 API
    makes it even easier. Im assuming you dont have a loader
    (according to your code). If so, check out
    http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1966.asp

Hope this helps!
    ~mt2002[/blue]
  • : : : [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2006-2-3 18:32:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : hi
    : : : : : : i have posted this message in the c beginners secito, but maybe this the right place for it. the question is the next: how can i load an image into a variable in c? i suppose this variable must be an array, which dimensions depend on the type of image. i do not know either this can be done by using a standard c library. if this is not the case, any suggestion about how to start working?
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : thanks
    : : : : : : cacaramba
    : : : : : Well, you can use memory also to do this instead of an array. But this also depends on you use DOS or Win32. Anyway, here's a link for some C graphs library that may help you out:
    : : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/app/search/search.aspx?SearchMode=1&SearchTxt=c+library+graphics
    : : : : : If you want to develop your own graph lib, you need to know some formats, this is a link to a File Format Encyclopedia:
    : : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/Download.asp?FileID=923
    : : : : : An array in this case does not need to be multidimensional, just a twodimensional array. But this is only if you need a constant size image, such as 100x100.
    : : : : : [code]
    : : : : : int image[100][100]
    : : : : : [/code]
    : : : : : But, remember that you can also store image in memory.
    : : : : : Or, you could just load the file directly onto the screen.
    : : : : : Hope this lil info helps you out.
    : : : : : ****************
    : : : : : Any questions? Just ask!
    : : : : : :-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)
    : : : : i also want to know how this is done. in your example, how do you assign a 100x100 bmp file for example named "trial.bmp" to the 2 dimensional array variable image. im very confused in this part. tnx!
    : : : [blue]
    : : : Just loop it. Example..[/blue][code]
    : : : const int iWidth = 100, [green]//image width/height[/green]
    : : : iHeight = 100;
    : : : char* image; [green]// your loaded image[/green]
    : : : int pixels[iHeight][iWidth]; [green]// destination (assuming 24 bpp image)[/green]
    : : : [green]// copy the image[/green]
    : : : for ( int y = 0; y< iHeight; y++)
    : : : for ( int x=0; x
    : : #include
    : : [green]/* definition of both bitmaps height and width */[/green]
    : : #define BITMAPX 352
    : : #define BITMAPY 292
    : : [green]/* structure to contain data for one pixel */[/green]
    : : typedef struct {
    : : float r,g,b; [green]/* color data varies for each color from 0-255 */[/green]
    : : }RGB; [green]/* they are floats just for convinience */[/green]
    : : [green]/* two 352x292x24 bit bitmaps containing about to be compared images */[/green]
    : : RGB bitmap1[BITMAPX][BITMAPY],bitmap2[BITMAPX][BITMAPY];
    : : [green]/* variables to hold number of pixels, current pixel and match so far */
    : : /* and match for current pixel */[/green]
    : : float pixels=BITMAPX*BITMAPY,current_pixel=0;
    : : float match=0,currentmatch=0;
    : : main()
    : : {
    : : [green]/* now we start looping through all pixels in our bitmaps comparing */
    : : /* according pixels to each other */[/green]
    : : int posx, posy, currentpixel;
    : : for(posx=0;posx<BITMAPX;posx++){
    : : for(posy=0;posy<BITMAPY;posy++){
    : : currentpixel++;
    : : [green]/* this is where actual comparison takes place */
    : : /* given that all three basic colors are on different axis */
    : : /* match between them can be calculated using */
    : : /* vector length equation */[/green]
    : : currentmatch=sqrt(pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].r-bitmap2[posx][posy].r,2)+pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].g-bitmap2[posx][posy].g,2)+pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].b-bitmap2[posx][posy].b,2));
    : : match=((match*currentpixel)+currentmatch)/(currentpixel);
    : : }
    : : match=100-match/2.56;
    : : printf("%f",match);
    : : [/code]
    : : but i cant seem to load the image properly to the two dimensional arrays that I declared. how can I for example load an image named "try.bmp" to bitmap1 and "try1.bmp" to bitmap2. thanks!
    : Do you have a bitmap loader? If so, load the bitmap to heap
    : memory, and copy it to the array (as I posted).
    :
    : If you dont have a loader, making one is easy. The Win32 API
    : makes it even easier. Im assuming you dont have a loader
    : (according to your code). If so, check out
    : http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1966.asp
    :
    : Hope this helps!
    : ~mt2002[/blue]
    :

btw is there any conflict if i'm going to use this program on a linux platform because im using bmp images. would you recommend using a different image format then?
  • : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2006-2-3 18:32:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : : hi
    : : : : : : : i have posted this message in the c beginners secito, but maybe this the right place for it. the question is the next: how can i load an image into a variable in c? i suppose this variable must be an array, which dimensions depend on the type of image. i do not know either this can be done by using a standard c library. if this is not the case, any suggestion about how to start working?
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : thanks
    : : : : : : : cacaramba
    : : : : : : Well, you can use memory also to do this instead of an array. But this also depends on you use DOS or Win32. Anyway, here's a link for some C graphs library that may help you out:
    : : : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/app/search/search.aspx?SearchMode=1&SearchTxt=c+library+graphics
    : : : : : : If you want to develop your own graph lib, you need to know some formats, this is a link to a File Format Encyclopedia:
    : : : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/Download.asp?FileID=923
    : : : : : : An array in this case does not need to be multidimensional, just a twodimensional array. But this is only if you need a constant size image, such as 100x100.
    : : : : : : [code]
    : : : : : : int image[100][100]
    : : : : : : [/code]
    : : : : : : But, remember that you can also store image in memory.
    : : : : : : Or, you could just load the file directly onto the screen.
    : : : : : : Hope this lil info helps you out.
    : : : : : : ****************
    : : : : : : Any questions? Just ask!
    : : : : : : :-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)
    : : : : : i also want to know how this is done. in your example, how do you assign a 100x100 bmp file for example named "trial.bmp" to the 2 dimensional array variable image. im very confused in this part. tnx!
    : : : : [blue]
    : : : : Just loop it. Example..[/blue][code]
    : : : : const int iWidth = 100, [green]//image width/height[/green]
    : : : : iHeight = 100;
    : : : : char* image; [green]// your loaded image[/green]
    : : : : int pixels[iHeight][iWidth]; [green]// destination (assuming 24 bpp image)[/green]
    : : : : [green]// copy the image[/green]
    : : : : for ( int y = 0; y< iHeight; y++)
    : : : : for ( int x=0; x
    : : : #include
    : : : [green]/* definition of both bitmaps height and width */[/green]
    : : : #define BITMAPX 352
    : : : #define BITMAPY 292
    : : : [green]/* structure to contain data for one pixel */[/green]
    : : : typedef struct {
    : : : float r,g,b; [green]/* color data varies for each color from 0-255 */[/green]
    : : : }RGB; [green]/* they are floats just for convinience */[/green]
    : : : [green]/* two 352x292x24 bit bitmaps containing about to be compared images */[/green]
    : : : RGB bitmap1[BITMAPX][BITMAPY],bitmap2[BITMAPX][BITMAPY];
    : : : [green]/* variables to hold number of pixels, current pixel and match so far */
    : : : /* and match for current pixel */[/green]
    : : : float pixels=BITMAPX*BITMAPY,current_pixel=0;
    : : : float match=0,currentmatch=0;
    : : : main()
    : : : {
    : : : [green]/* now we start looping through all pixels in our bitmaps comparing */
    : : : /* according pixels to each other */[/green]
    : : : int posx, posy, currentpixel;
    : : : for(posx=0;posx<BITMAPX;posx++){
    : : : for(posy=0;posy<BITMAPY;posy++){
    : : : currentpixel++;
    : : : [green]/* this is where actual comparison takes place */
    : : : /* given that all three basic colors are on different axis */
    : : : /* match between them can be calculated using */
    : : : /* vector length equation */[/green]
    : : : currentmatch=sqrt(pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].r-bitmap2[posx][posy].r,2)+pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].g-bitmap2[posx][posy].g,2)+pow(bitmap1[posx][posy].b-bitmap2[posx][posy].b,2));
    : : : match=((match*currentpixel)+currentmatch)/(currentpixel);
    : : : }
    : : : match=100-match/2.56;
    : : : printf("%f",match);
    : : : [/code]
    : : : but i cant seem to load the image properly to the two dimensional arrays that I declared. how can I for example load an image named "try.bmp" to bitmap1 and "try1.bmp" to bitmap2. thanks!
    : : [blue]
    : : Do you have a bitmap loader? If so, load the bitmap to heap
    : : memory, and copy it to the array (as I posted).
    : : If you dont have a loader, making one is easy. The Win32 API
    : : makes it even easier. Im assuming you dont have a loader
    : : (according to your code). If so, check out
    : : http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1966.asp
    : : Hope this helps!
    : : ~mt2002[/blue]
    :
    : btw is there any conflict if i'm going to use this program on a linux platform because im using bmp images. would you recommend using a different image format then?
    :
    [blue]
    I dont know, but it shouldnt cause any conflict..As long as you
    write your loader from scratch (ie; dont use Win32) it should
    still be okay.[/blue]
  • [code]
    : const int iWidth = 100, [green]//image width/height[/green]
    : iHeight = 100;
    :
    : char* image; [green]// your loaded image[/green]
    :
    : int pixels[iHeight][iWidth]; [green]// destination (assuming 24 bpp image)[/green]
    :
    :
    : [green]// copy the image[/green]
    : for ( int y = 0; y< iHeight; y++)
    : for ( int x=0; x<iWidth; x++)
    : pixels [y][x] = image [x+y*iWidth];[/code]
    : The formula [b]x+y*iWidth[/b] can be used to retrieve an element
    : (in this case, pixel) at an x/y location in linear memory.
    :
    : This will [b]only[/b] work if "image" and "pixels" are
    : the same bit depth. If they are not, you will need to
    : convert it.
    :
    : Hope this helps!
    : ~mt2002[/blue]
    :
    :
    Won't it be possible to do something like this:

[code]
    const int iWidth = 100, [green]//image width/height[/green]
    iHeight = 100;

char* image; [green]// your loaded image[/green]

char pixels[iHeight][iWidth];

pixel = image;
    [/code]
    Another way would be to copy the whole array. Then you get chars instead if ints, but does that matter?

Happy coding wishes
    the one and only
    [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]