A theory

I was thinking, and is this true? I think the three things that make computers different from any other machine and able to do what they do are these

input
output
conditional execution

I was thinking about interrupts as well, but it can partially fall uder conditional execution.

Well, thanx
{2}rIng

Comments

• : I was thinking, and is this true? I think the three things that make computers different from any other machine and able to do what they do are these
    :
    : input
    : output
    : conditional execution
    :
    : I was thinking about interrupts as well, but it can partially fall uder conditional execution.
    :
    : Well, thanx
    : {2}rIng
    :
    There's a lot of machines that can do the same, and they aren't called computers.
    The human brain could then be called a computer, becouse it takes input, from all your sences, and gives output to the muscels of the body, and between there has to be some conditional testing.

The computer is those three parts, but isn't definded by them.

Happy coding wishes
    the one and only
    [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]

• [b][red]This message was edited by Gregry2 at 2006-3-4 4:27:8[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I was thinking, and is this true? I think the three things that make computers different from any other machine and able to do what they do are these
    : :
    : : input
    : : output
    : : conditional execution
    : : I was thinking about interrupts as well, but it can partially fall uder conditional execution.
    : : Well, thanx
    : : {2}rIng
    : There's a lot of machines that can do the same, and they aren't called computers.
    : The human brain could then be called a computer, becouse it takes input, from all your sences, and gives output to the muscels of the body, and between there has to be some conditional testing.
    :
    : The computer is those three parts, but isn't definded by them.
    :
    : Happy coding wishes
    : the one and only
    : [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]
    :
    :

Yeah, you actually are right. Almost all machines can do that( and some very much like computers, like the early mechanical calculators) on a very abstract level, only computers mainly do it with information.

I guess what makes them special is how they store it and what they output/input it as: electricity...is this right now?

{2}rIng

• : [b][red]This message was edited by Gregry2 at 2006-3-4 4:27:8[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : I was thinking, and is this true? I think the three things that make computers different from any other machine and able to do what they do are these
    : : :
    : : : input
    : : : output
    : : : conditional execution
    : : : I was thinking about interrupts as well, but it can partially fall uder conditional execution.
    : : : Well, thanx
    : : : {2}rIng
    : : There's a lot of machines that can do the same, and they aren't called computers.
    : : The human brain could then be called a computer, becouse it takes input, from all your sences, and gives output to the muscels of the body, and between there has to be some conditional testing.
    : : The computer is those three parts, but isn't definded by them.
    : : Happy coding wishes
    : : the one and only
    : : [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]
    :
    : Yeah, you actually are right. Almost all machines can do that( and some very much like computers, like the early mechanical calculators) on a very abstract level, only computers mainly do it with information.
    :
    : I guess what makes them special is how they store it and what they output/input it as: electricity...is this right now?
    :
    : {2}rIng
    :

Most machines takes input from their sencors as elecrisity and gives output as elecrisity too.

I would say a computer is something that has a processor, memmory and some other components.

Maybe the processor is the key, every computer has to have a processor, right?
  • : Most machines takes input from their sencors as elecrisity and gives output as elecrisity too.
    :
    : I would say a computer is something that has a processor, memmory and some other components.
    :
    : Maybe the processor is the key, every computer has to have a processor, right?
    :

Hmm...may be, but what makes the processor special? The ability of conditional execution and well and other control...

We're back at square one...may be a computer is just like everything else, just different body...

{2}rIng
  • [blue]What makes it special is a the ability of a processor to 'know' where next command begins, so it can execute commands from a stream, one by one.

Of course, how is it then different from some letter sorting machine in the post office factory? Ah, ... the stream of command is taken from memory, which can contain anything humans may imagine. It is flexible in its command stream, that what makes the computers so cool!

The very first computers did not have a compiler, but the 'lower' computers were used to build a compiler for the next ('higher') computer and so on - and look where are we now!

Soon, the code will be written by speech interface, but that will, probably, suck fun out of programming. :-)[/blue]
  • : [blue]What makes it special is a the ability of a processor to 'know' where next command begins, so it can execute commands from a stream, one by one.
    :
    : Of course, how is it then different from some letter sorting machine in the post office factory? Ah, ... the stream of command is taken from memory, which can contain anything humans may imagine. It is flexible in its command stream, that what makes the computers so cool!
    :

But it can change that, like

cmp ax,bx
    je there
    jne here

so, it can know something different, making the next instruction, where IP on the x86, different, this, conditional execution...ahh!!!

Just as niklas said, other machines can do that...

: The very first computers did not have a compiler, but the 'lower' computers were used to build a compiler for the next ('higher') computer and so on - and look where are we now!
    :
    : Soon, the code will be written by speech interface, but that will, probably, suck fun out of programming. :-)[/blue]
    :

I so agree :-). For all we know, VB will be "low level" then!

I'm sure for new achitectures, low level programming will still be around, and people will use simple I/O first for to write a, say, compiler, using text to speech would be too much to program just to give input.

Computer Scientists are slowly becoming users...
    {2]rIng

• :
    : But it can change that, like
    :
    : cmp ax,bx
    : je there
    : jne here
    :
    : so, it can know something different, making the next instruction, where IP on the x86, different, this, conditional execution...ahh!!!
    :
    : Just as niklas said, other machines can do that...
    :
    :
    : I so agree :-). For all we know, VB will be "low level" then!
    :
    : I'm sure for new achitectures, low level programming will still be around, and people will use simple I/O first for to write a, say, compiler, using text to speech would be too much to program just to give input.
    :
    : Computer Scientists are slowly becoming users...
    : {2]rIng
    :
    :

IMHO what really defines a computer is the model of the Universal Turing Machine: A machine that can interpret itself.

What defines TODAY'S computer is the model propposed by Von Neumman: a dispositive with input, output, processing unit and memory.

And don't forget that we don't need electricity to make a computer... The Germans made the first computer with gears a long time ago, and, AFAIK, the first computer prototype, the Babbage Machine, was mechanical too...
    Homero C. de Almeida

[italic]There's no dishonour in failure. For we aren't allowed to know wheter we'll achieve success or not. There is only one final shame, the cowardice of not trying.[/italic]