C from the Harware....next step?

Hi!

Let's say that we have a hardware based on x86 for example but nothing else.

Then how to start?

how to implement a compiler, a text editor.....?

I would be grateful to get some links or informations,

Thanks a lot!

Angeltpp

Comments

• : Hi!
    :
    : Let's say that we have a hardware based on x86 for example but nothing else.
    :
    : Then how to start?
    :
    : how to implement a compiler, a text editor.....?
    :
    : I would be grateful to get some links or informations,
    :
    : Thanks a lot!
    :
    : Angeltpp
    :
    :

First write an operating system, such as MS-DOS or Linux, which will occupy you for the first 10-20 years. BTW: you will have to write it on another computer with a running os, compiler, text editor, etc. After you get the os running, use the same compiler to write a compiler for the os. That will take another 10 or so years. By the end of that you will probably be eligible for social security and retire in some old farts home :-)

• : : Hi!
    : :
    : : Let's say that we have a hardware based on x86 for example but nothing else.
    : : Then how to start?
    : : how to implement a compiler, a text editor.....?
    : : I would be grateful to get some links or informations,
    : : Thanks a lot!
    : : Angeltpp
    :
    :
    : First write an operating system, such as MS-DOS or Linux, which will occupy you for the first 10-20 years. BTW: you will have to write it on another computer with a running os, compiler, text editor, etc. After you get the os running, use the same compiler to write a compiler for the os. That will take another 10 or so years. By the end of that you will probably be eligible for social security and retire in some old farts home :-)
    :
    :

nah, way back when, people wrote their own OS's all the time. It doesn't have to be a full featured OS, just enough to get some functionality you need.

I think the question was more like, if you have no access to anything but that hardware, how do you start? It is not like the first OS was actually written on another because it did not exist!

[italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]

• [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2006-3-5 16:56:5[/red][/b][hr]
    : nah, way back when, people wrote their own OS's all the time.

I doubt it. computers in those times took up several stories of a building and consisted of miles upon miles of vacuum tubes. I know because I've seen them (in 1963)! Computer programmers hardwired the programs -- terminals and punchcard machines didn't exist at first.

http://www.osdata.com/kind/history.htm

Of course today we do have good operating systems. If you want to design your own os that is truly unique in today's world you have to design it on some other computer, there is no other choice. And that's one reason we have cross-compilers. The timeline I mentioned was toung-in-cheeck. Afterall Bill Gates has been working on his operating systems since about 1980, but his first version of MS-DOS 1.0 was probably released in just a few years.

• reply: Hi,

thanks a lot,

Yes, it seems true, but you will agree that it would be great to have all the freedom to develop new concepts and so on, based on pure hardware.
    ==> Also, pretty soon, nanotechnologies will bring new concepts in electronics, using bio-materials and then it will become absolutely urgent to deal with new OS.

It doesn't mean that we should forget and not even enhance today technologies but other sides should be considered!

Angeltpp

: [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2006-3-5 16:56:5[/red][/b][hr]
    : : nah, way back when, people wrote their own OS's all the time.
    :
    : I doubt it. computers in those times took up several stories of a building and consisted of miles upon miles of vacuum tubes. I know because I've seen them (in 1963)! Computer programmers hardwired the programs -- terminals and punchcard machines didn't exist at first.
    :
    : http://www.osdata.com/kind/history.htm
    :
    : Of course today we do have good operating systems. If you want to design your own os that is truly unique in today's world you have to design it on some other computer, there is no other choice. And that's one reason we have cross-compilers. The timeline I mentioned was toung-in-cheeck. Afterall Bill Gates has been working on his operating systems since about 1980, but his first version of MS-DOS 1.0 was probably released in just a few years.
    :
    :
    :

• well, have a look at my reply to strober about new nano-technologies.
    New concepts will necessary have to be considered.
    Well, discussion is open!!

Angeltpp

: : : Hi!
    : : :
    : : : Let's say that we have a hardware based on x86 for example but nothing else.
    : : : Then how to start?
    : : : how to implement a compiler, a text editor.....?
    : : : I would be grateful to get some links or informations,
    : : : Thanks a lot!
    : : : Angeltpp
    : : First write an operating system, such as MS-DOS or Linux, which will occupy you for the first 10-20 years. BTW: you will have to write it on another computer with a running os, compiler, text editor, etc. After you get the os running, use the same compiler to write a compiler for the os. That will take another 10 or so years. By the end of that you will probably be eligible for social security and retire in some old farts home :-)
    :
    : nah, way back when, people wrote their own OS's all the time. It doesn't have to be a full featured OS, just enough to get some functionality you need.
    :
    : I think the question was more like, if you have no access to anything but that hardware, how do you start? It is not like the first OS was actually written on another because it did not exist!
    :
    : [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :