Array Subscript Size

why doesnt C allow variable subcripts for array.

Is there a way to do this.

Comments

• : why doesnt C allow variable subcripts for array.
    :
    : Is there a way to do this.
    :
    :
    :

I think compilers that are ISO C99 compliant to allow it. That is something relatively new to the standards so not may compilers are yet up-to-speed.
  • when we declare an array....coz it has fixed size.....can i assume that the memory is used from the code segment....

: : why doesnt C allow variable subcripts for array.
    : :
    : : Is there a way to do this.
    :
    : I think compilers that are ISO C99 compliant to allow it. That is something relatively new to the standards so not may compilers are yet up-to-speed.
    :

• : when we declare an array....coz it has fixed size.....can i assume that the memory is used from the code segment....
    :
    :

No you cannot. The memory is not allocated from the code segment. It is either allocated on the stack or the heap
    [code]
    char array[255]; // memory is allocated on the stack

char* ptr = malloc(255); // memory is allocate from the heap
    [/code]

• : : when we declare an array....coz it has fixed size.....can i assume that the memory is used from the code segment....
    :
    : No you cannot. The memory is not allocated from the code segment. It is either allocated on the stack or the heap
    : [code]
    : char array[255]; // memory is allocated on the stack
    :
    : char* ptr = malloc(255); // memory is allocate from the heap
    : [/code]
    :

Unless the array is const, because then it is most likely allocated in the code segment.