which language to learn?

The main application for my programming (at this point in time) would be for data analysis, mathematical manipulation of data, fitting of models and most likely the concurrent visual display of that data and models whilst everything is going on. I would be required to create the GUIs for the programs as well as create file formats for the data. There may also be the potential of some instrument interfacing as well, but that will 99% be done with Labview.

I would like to get away with learning just one langauge at this point in time. My experience with programming so far is a fortran unit in university (~7 yrs ago) and an intro java course completed about a month ago.

What should I go for? Should I go for C++? or move into the visual area with VB / VC#? Should I get involved in .net?

I know that I'm asking a lot here, but any responses would be appreciated.

Comments

• VC# may be a good language to use.

c# is very similar to Java and inherits some things indirectly from Fortran. Also, Microsoft Visual Studio makes visual development quick and easy. The visual environment for developing user interfaces should be similar enough to Labview that you can make use of it quickly.

Borland C# Builder is another product similar to Visual C# in that it also has a great visual development environment and a similar programming language.

http://www.borland.com/us/products/cbuilder/

: The main application for my programming (at this point in time) would be for data analysis, mathematical manipulation of data, fitting of models and most likely the concurrent visual display of that data and models whilst everything is going on. I would be required to create the GUIs for the programs as well as create file formats for the data. There may also be the potential of some instrument interfacing as well, but that will 99% be done with Labview.
    :
    : I would like to get away with learning just one langauge at this point in time. My experience with programming so far is a fortran unit in university (~7 yrs ago) and an intro java course completed about a month ago.
    :
    : What should I go for? Should I go for C++? or move into the visual area with VB / VC#? Should I get involved in .net?
    :
    :
    : I know that I'm asking a lot here, but any responses would be appreciated.
    :
    :
    :

• Just learn C# with Asp.net