what's with different cersion of basic?

Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?

Comments

• : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    :

You don`t need notepad for basic.
    If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
  • : : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    : :
    :
    : You don`t need notepad for basic.
    : If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
    :
    Different versions of BASIC are like dialects of BASIC. The only difference could be just one command, some are backwards compitable.
    Qbasic 1.1 is very nice to start with I think. It exist in a lot of versions. I got the swedish one as I'm swedish. 4.5 is compitable with 1.1
    I haven't tried 7 yet, but I'm not a basic programmer.
  • : : : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    : : :
    : : You don`t need notepad for basic.
    : : If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
    : Different versions of BASIC are like dialects of BASIC. The only difference could be just one command, some are backwards compitable.
    : Qbasic 1.1 is very nice to start with I think. It exist in a lot of versions. I got the swedish one as I'm swedish. 4.5 is compitable with 1.1
    : I haven't tried 7 yet, but I'm not a basic programmer.
    :
    There seems to be some important differences between QB 1.1 and 4.5.

when i tried an "example program" it didnt compile in QB 4.5 because it said END instead of END IF. Annoying...

And I also saw in the help files that there are some commands like

SIGNAL Keyword

The SIGNAL keyword is reserved for future use.

[hr][hr]
    Don't write pH, write Ph!

• : : : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    : : You don`t need notepad for basic.
    : : If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
    : Different versions of BASIC are like dialects of BASIC. The only difference could be just one command, some are backwards compitable.
    : Qbasic 1.1 is very nice to start with I think. It exist in a lot of versions. I got the swedish one as I'm swedish. 4.5 is compitable with 1.1
    : I haven't tried 7 yet, but I'm not a basic programmer.
    :
    awsome, thanks. now i have another more noobish question. say i type some code. what would i have to do between typing the code and using the program? i've heard of some compiling doo-wacky but have no idea what it is.
  • : : : : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    : : : :
    : : : You don`t need notepad for basic.
    : : : If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
    : : Different versions of BASIC are like dialects of BASIC. The only difference could be just one command, some are backwards compitable.
    : : Qbasic 1.1 is very nice to start with I think. It exist in a lot of versions. I got the swedish one as I'm swedish. 4.5 is compitable with 1.1
    : : I haven't tried 7 yet, but I'm not a basic programmer.
    : awsome, thanks. now i have another more noobish question. say i type some code. what would i have to do between typing the code and using the program? i've heard of some compiling doo-wacky but have no idea what it is.
    :
    Hit F5, and it will run. If you want to make it an .exe, you'll have to compile it.
  • : : : : : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    : : : : :
    : : : : You don`t need notepad for basic.
    : : : : If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
    : : : Different versions of BASIC are like dialects of BASIC. The only difference could be just one command, some are backwards compitable.
    : : : Qbasic 1.1 is very nice to start with I think. It exist in a lot of versions. I got the swedish one as I'm swedish. 4.5 is compitable with 1.1
    : : : I haven't tried 7 yet, but I'm not a basic programmer.
    : : awsome, thanks. now i have another more noobish question. say i type some code. what would i have to do between typing the code and using the program? i've heard of some compiling doo-wacky but have no idea what it is.
    : Hit F5, and it will run. If you want to make it an .exe, you'll have to compile it.
    :

I like to hit Shift+F5 instead. That makes the program restart from the first line.

To compile means to make the sourcecode into machine code (an EXE file).
    [hr][hr]

• : : : : : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    : : : : You don`t need notepad for basic.
    : : : : If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
    : : : Different versions of BASIC are like dialects of BASIC. The only difference could be just one command, some are backwards compitable.
    : : : Qbasic 1.1 is very nice to start with I think. It exist in a lot of versions. I got the swedish one as I'm swedish. 4.5 is compitable with 1.1
    : : : I haven't tried 7 yet, but I'm not a basic programmer.
    : : awsome, thanks. now i have another more noobish question. say i type some code. what would i have to do between typing the code and using the program? i've heard of some compiling doo-wacky but have no idea what it is.
    : Hit F5, and it will run. If you want to make it an .exe, you'll have to compile it.
    :
    sweet, that's just what i was looking for. so to program, you just need a basic text editor (like notepad) and a compiler?
  • [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-3-29 0:53:8[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : You don`t need notepad for basic.
    : : : : : If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
    : : : : Different versions of BASIC are like dialects of BASIC. The only difference could be just one command, some are backwards compitable.
    : : : : Qbasic 1.1 is very nice to start with I think. It exist in a lot of versions. I got the swedish one as I'm swedish. 4.5 is compitable with 1.1
    : : : : I haven't tried 7 yet, but I'm not a basic programmer.
    : : : awsome, thanks. now i have another more noobish question. say i type some code. what would i have to do between typing the code and using the program? i've heard of some compiling doo-wacky but have no idea what it is.
    : : Hit F5, and it will run. If you want to make it an .exe, you'll have to compile it.
    : sweet, that's just what i was looking for. so to program, you just need a basic text editor (like notepad) and a compiler?
    :
    [b]You dont need Notepad. You need QBasic. Write youre programs in QBasic and press SHift+F5 to run them, or Make EXE in Run menu to make an executable file (compile it)[/b]

But if you want to use Notepad to edit or create your programs (thats DIFFICULT) , make sure that you save your programs in QBasic in "Text mode". If not they will just be rubbish in Notepad.

[hr][hr]

• : [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-3-29 0:53:8[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : : Hi, i decided i'm gonna learn basic so i'll be able to program stuff. i read something about different versions of basic. what exactly are those? are there just different commands (or whatever the stuff you type is called) or what? also , aside fro notepad, is there any addition software needed to program?
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : You don`t need notepad for basic.
    : : : : : : If you use qbasic, I suggest you to use ver 4.5 or 7, because 1.1 cannot compile executables.
    : : : : : Different versions of BASIC are like dialects of BASIC. The only difference could be just one command, some are backwards compitable.
    : : : : : Qbasic 1.1 is very nice to start with I think. It exist in a lot of versions. I got the swedish one as I'm swedish. 4.5 is compitable with 1.1
    : : : : : I haven't tried 7 yet, but I'm not a basic programmer.
    : : : : awsome, thanks. now i have another more noobish question. say i type some code. what would i have to do between typing the code and using the program? i've heard of some compiling doo-wacky but have no idea what it is.
    : : : Hit F5, and it will run. If you want to make it an .exe, you'll have to compile it.
    : : sweet, that's just what i was looking for. so to program, you just need a basic text editor (like notepad) and a compiler?
    : [b]You dont need Notepad. You need QBasic. Write youre programs in QBasic and press SHift+F5 to run them, or Make EXE in Run menu to make an executable file (compile it)[/b]
    :
    : But if you want to use Notepad to edit or create your programs (thats DIFFICULT) , make sure that you save your programs in QBasic in "Text mode". If not they will just be rubbish in Notepad.
    :
    : OK i get it now, you need Qbasic to write Qbasic. sorry if i was a bit newbish about that. thanks for the help :)
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• : OK i get it now, you need Qbasic to write Qbasic. sorry if i was a bit newbish about that. thanks for the help :)

The qbasic editor is so good that it's no use writting in notepad.
    I've never seen an IDE that is more integrated to the language than the QBASIC editor.
  • Hi,

You might like to try JustBASIC as it is FREE? :-)

See http://www.justbasic.com/ for details.

Regards,

Dr M.

• [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-4-1 15:50:36[/red][/b][hr]

• [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-3-31 3:46:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi,
    : : You might like to try JustBASIC as it is FREE? :-)
    : : See http://www.justbasic.com/ for details.
    : : Regards,
    : : Dr M.
    : What are you talking about??? Everything is free. QBasic is also free and it RULES! (i use version 4.5)
    : [hr][hr]
    : Don't write pH, write Ph!
    :
    :

======================================================================

Everything isn't Free!! Try getting a Ferrari for FREE!!

If you use pirated software you risk installing spyware on your computer ( or a virus ) and giving your personal details away to others.
    Thieves could get your money this way....you have been warned!!

Dr M.

• [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-3-31 4:39:47[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-3-31 4:38:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-3-31 3:46:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Hi,
    : : : You might like to try JustBASIC as it is FREE? :-)
    : : : See http://www.justbasic.com/ for details.
    : : : Regards,
    : : : Dr M.
    : : What are you talking about??? Everything is free. QBasic is also free and it RULES! (i use version 4.5)
    : : [hr][hr]
    : : Don't write pH, write Ph!
    :
    :
    : ======================================================================
    :
    : Everything isn't Free!! Try getting a Ferrari for FREE!!
    :
    : If you use pirated software you risk installing spyware on your computer ( or a virus ) and giving your personal details away to others.
    : Thieves could get your money this way....you have been warned!!
    :
    : Dr M.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Isn't QBasic 4.5 free???? The site (qbasic.com) didn't say anything about that.

I usually dont use illegal software and I didn't think a did now either.
    [hr][hr]

• : [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-3-31 4:39:47[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-3-31 4:38:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-3-31 3:46:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : Hi,
    : : : : You might like to try JustBASIC as it is FREE? :-)
    : : : : See http://www.justbasic.com/ for details.
    : : : : Regards,
    : : : : Dr M.
    : : : What are you talking about??? Everything is free. QBasic is also free and it RULES! (i use version 4.5)
    : : : [hr][hr]
    : : : Don't write pH, write Ph!
    : : ======================================================================
    : : Everything isn't Free!! Try getting a Ferrari for FREE!!
    : : If you use pirated software you risk installing spyware on your computer ( or a virus ) and giving your personal details away to others.
    : : Thieves could get your money this way....you have been warned!!
    : : Dr M.
    : Isn't QBasic 4.5 free???? The site (qbasic.com) didn't say anything about that.
    :
    : I usually dont use illegal software and I didn't think a did now either.
    : [hr][hr]
    : Don't write pH, write Ph!
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    And also, when i tried once it didn't work at all.
    But now when i make own programs they have Copyleft so anyone can download them, copy them, modify them, sell them;-)...
    [hr][hr]