and quality. Maybe they are the BEST languages there

are...

Comments

• : I can't find as much support for Pascal (or any other

: implementation of it, like Delphi) as for C or C++

: (even when I just look for one of them!!!). Maybe I

: should say that Pascal is a dead language... (although

: I don't want to, because I like it)

Pascal is a learning language. It introduces a programmer to programming concepts like loops and printing out your results, etc. It's very good at that because it is easy to learn and execute.

Delphi is mostly to create Win32 Apps without having to deal with the Microsoft Foundation Classes, and other such Windows libraries that Microsoft so overzealously made more complicated than should be. Think of it as a good step above Visual Basic for creating fast easy Win32 Apps without having to go through the trouble of setting up your complicated Callback loop, etc. Delphi is pretty easy to learn and make programs with, that's why there isn't a whole lot of documentation on it.

However Delphi is not a good language for much else. C/C++ is best for programming graphics and games. It is a bit more cryptic, but once you learn the methods you will appreciate the "crypticness" of the language (it is really easy to do things). C/C++ has a lot of documentation because it can do a lot more and is a bit harder to learn than Pascal. Also it is more widely used and accepted on practically ALL platforms (Unix, Windows, DOS, BeOS, Linux, etc.), whereas Delphi can only be used on Win32 based systems like Win95/98 and NT.

: I still think I should switch from Pascal to C/C++,

: because they do have a lot of support, documentation

: and quality. Maybe they are the BEST languages there

: are...

Well it is probably a good thing to learn C/C++, it is really more useful. However if you want to make Win32 Apps quickly and easily, use Delphi.

-Xotor-

• Thanks Xotor =), you have helped me to make a

choise. I think I will learn C and C++...

hope to hear from you,

BTM :)

• : Pascal is a learning language. It introduces a programmer to programming concepts like loops and printing out your results, etc. It's very good at that because it is easy to learn and execute.

I'm detecting just a bit of bias here... Pascal is the equivalent of C, and was meant to take it's place.

It is functionally identical to C in all areas (including overloading with more recent versions), and was in

fact one of the first languages to include OOP.

Almost all statements in Pascal have a corresponding command in C. Pascal also boasts the advantage of being

more readible. While C is more popular, and currently Pascal lacks the equivalent of Visual C++, it

is still used for many games, 3D engines, and other modern applications.

It suffers from being less popular than C, and therefore suffers from a lack of support. However, in terms of

compilers and such, it is well supported (see P32 and TMT Pascal). However, if you do plan to make a LIVING

doing programming, this will usually entail working with a group, who will probably (by sheer odds) be using C++.

So there's your choice right there.

: Delphi is mostly to create Win32 Apps without having to deal with the Microsoft Foundation Classes, and other such Windows libraries that Microsoft so overzealously made more complicated than should be. Think of it as a good step above Visual Basic for creating fast easy Win32 Apps without having to go through the trouble of setting up your complicated Callback loop, etc. Delphi is pretty easy to learn and make programs with, that's why there isn't a whole lot of documentation on it.

: However Delphi is not a good language for much else. C/C++ is best for programming graphics and games. It is a bit more cryptic, but once you learn the methods you will appreciate the "crypticness" of the language (it is really easy to do things). C/C++ has a lot of documentation because it can do a lot more and is a bit harder to learn than Pascal. Also it is more widely used and accepted on practically ALL platforms (Unix, Windows, DOS, BeOS, Linux, etc.), whereas Delphi can only be used on Win32 based systems like Win95/98 and NT.

This is correct.

: Well it is probably a good thing to learn C/C++, it is really more useful. However if you want to make Win32 Apps quickly and easily, use Delphi.

I'm not disputing this, it's just not a "learning language" any more than C is. Try BASIC.

: -Xotor-

URL:http://acheronx.resnet.tamu.edu/home/

• : : Pascal is a learning language. It introduces a programmer to programming concepts like loops and printing out your results, etc. It's very good at that because it is easy to learn and execute.

: I'm detecting just a bit of bias here... Pascal is the equivalent of C, and was meant to take it's place.

: It is functionally identical to C in all areas (including overloading with more recent versions), and was in

: fact one of the first languages to include OOP.

Ugh.. I remember trying OOP in Pascal.. boy that was a bit of work. In C/C++ it's easy.. well for me that is. Pascal may have been made to replace C/C++ with its less cryptic syntax and rules (like not having to worry about case). I made some good games in Pascal. However since I've started programming in C/C++ it seems to be a lot faster and easier to program things. For instance I don't have to type "begin" and "end", only { and }. Also I like the fact that I can make a while statement out of a for statement like this: for (;i<10;) {} and also other things like the useful printf();. I do miss how easy it was to write functions to either modify the data or not (the var keyword).<p>
    However if we are to argue which language should replace the rest, I'd vow for Perl, since it does so many things so easily and without worry. However it is really cryptic..

: Almost all statements in Pascal have a corresponding command in C. Pascal also boasts the advantage of being

: more readible. While C is more popular, and currently Pascal lacks the equivalent of Visual C++, it

: is still used for many games, 3D engines, and other modern applications.

Actually C/C++ is very readable if the programmer makes good use of tabs, comments, and useful variable names. Almost any language is. Also if you follow a certain style of programming (like the Microsoft one or others), the reading can be easy.

: I'm not disputing this, it's just not a "learning language" any more than C is. Try BASIC.

Ugh, BASIC.. I made an old game with a friend with Visual Basic (for DOS, we never used any "visual" stuff, just the compiler), it takes so much work. Also it puts you into habits that aren't supported in other languages (declaring a global variable inside a function). I would more call it a scripting language now than a programming language even though you can compile it.

As for Pascal, it is indeed a learning language. All, well practically all, schools teach Pascal before C/C++. It is a lot easier to learn because it isn't as cryptic.

-Xotor-

• I must say this:

The program I was most impressed with was a compiler for Pascal WRITTEN in Pascal. I had never seen such a feat of nature. Now THAT'S good programming (hell I had trouble even making a script parser in Pascal, let alone a compiler).

-Xotor-

• : : : Pascal is a learning language. It introduces a programmer to programming concepts like loops and printing out your results, etc. It's very good at that because it is easy to learn and execute.

: : I'm detecting just a bit of bias here... Pascal is the equivalent of C, and was meant to take it's place.

: : It is functionally identical to C in all areas (including overloading with more recent versions), and was in

: : fact one of the first languages to include OOP.

: Ugh.. I remember trying OOP in Pascal.. boy that was a bit of work. In C/C++ it's easy.. well for me that is. Pascal may have been made to replace C/C++ with its less cryptic syntax and rules (like not having to worry about case). I made some good games in Pascal. However since I've started programming in C/C++ it seems to be a lot faster and easier to program things. For instance I don't have to type "begin" and "end", only { and }. Also I like the fact that I can make a while statement out of a for statement like this: for (;i<10;) {} and also other things like the useful printf();. I do miss how easy it was to write functions to either modify the data or not (the var keyword).<p>
    : However if we are to argue which language should replace the rest, I'd vow for Perl, since it does so many things so easily and without worry. However it is really cryptic..

: : Almost all statements in Pascal have a corresponding command in C. Pascal also boasts the advantage of being

: : more readible. While C is more popular, and currently Pascal lacks the equivalent of Visual C++, it

: : is still used for many games, 3D engines, and other modern applications.

: Actually C/C++ is very readable if the programmer makes good use of tabs, comments, and useful variable names. Almost any language is. Also if you follow a certain style of programming (like the Microsoft one or others), the reading can be easy.

: : I'm not disputing this, it's just not a "learning language" any more than C is. Try BASIC.

: Ugh, BASIC.. I made an old game with a friend :with Visual Basic (for DOS, we never used any :"visual" stuff, just the compiler), it takes so :much work. Also it puts you into habits that :aren't supported in other languages (declaring a :global variable inside a function). I would :more call it a scripting language now than a :programming language even though you can compile :it.

A VB program is just like any other program, well the PE header is. The only other thing that in the header it makes a reference to msvb5vm.dll, vb40032.dll, or vb40016.dll. Near the end of the .exe file (or maybe in the data section of the vb .exe file) is your Visual Basic code. This is what makes visual basic and its programs so slow. This is also what made me start programming in C++. :)

: As for Pascal, it is indeed a learning language. All, well practically all, schools teach Pascal before C/C++. It is a lot easier to learn because it isn't as cryptic.

: -Xotor-

Space Warp