I'm thinking about re-learning pascal. I haven't used it since my freshman year in high school 14 years ago. is that dumb? what use does it have today? don't know why i feel the need to do this, but i want to.

Comments

• : I'm thinking about re-learning pascal. I haven't used it since my freshman year in high school 14 years ago. is that dumb? what use does it have today? don't know why i feel the need to do this, but i want to.
    :
    Pascal still has uses, because it is much simpler to learn than C++, yet just as powerful. As seen with Delphi and FreePascal the Pascal language is still growing, and fully compatible with the 32bit operating systems of today.
    If you don't intend to do some programming in the future, it would be a waste of time to relearn it. Otherwise it is always helpful to start as early as possible.
  • i want to start programming recreationally. i'm busy but uber intrigued by it. i have a mac. do i need a mac friendly compiler to experiment? i know it may be useless to me, but i do believe it's personally valuable to just know it and work on it on your own if it's interesting enough. the last dumb thing i worked on was a version of king's quest. antiquated, i know, but what do i need to do to start?

: : I'm thinking about re-learning pascal. I haven't used it since my freshman year in high school 14 years ago. is that dumb? what use does it have today? don't know why i feel the need to do this, but i want to.
    : :
    : Pascal still has uses, because it is much simpler to learn than C++, yet just as powerful. As seen with Delphi and FreePascal the Pascal language is still growing, and fully compatible with the 32bit operating systems of today.
    : If you don't intend to do some programming in the future, it would be a waste of time to relearn it. Otherwise it is always helpful to start as early as possible.
    :

• : i want to start programming recreationally. i'm busy but uber intrigued by it. i have a mac. do i need a mac friendly compiler to experiment? i know it may be useless to me, but i do believe it's personally valuable to just know it and work on it on your own if it's interesting enough. the last dumb thing i worked on was a version of king's quest. antiquated, i know, but what do i need to do to start?
    :
    : : : I'm thinking about re-learning pascal. I haven't used it since my freshman year in high school 14 years ago. is that dumb? what use does it have today? don't know why i feel the need to do this, but i want to.
    : : :
    : : Pascal still has uses, because it is much simpler to learn than C++, yet just as powerful. As seen with Delphi and FreePascal the Pascal language is still growing, and fully compatible with the 32bit operating systems of today.
    : : If you don't intend to do some programming in the future, it would be a waste of time to relearn it. Otherwise it is always helpful to start as early as possible.
    : :
    :
    :
    You do need a mac-compatible compiler or interpreter to be able to run your code. Another way is to use a virtual machine and run your programs in there, but you still need a compiler or interpreter for that machine (unless of course that virtual machine has the interpreter built in).