simple statistical problem... or not?

[b][red]This message was edited by vort3X at 2006-6-26 5:35:57[/red][/b][hr]
I would like to find out the total standard deviation by two independant events. e.g. a car travels from A to B with an avg of 5 mins and S.D of 1 min, then travels from B to C with an avg of 8 mins and S.D of 2 mins. The avg for the total trip is (obviously) the sum = 13 mins since it is linear. S.D. is not linear, so how do I calculate the total standard deviation for the trip A-B-C?

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by vort3X at 2006-6-26 5:35:57[/red][/b][hr]
    : I would like to find out the total standard deviation by two independant events. e.g. a car travels from A to B with an avg of 5 mins and S.D of 1 min, then travels from B to C with an avg of 8 mins and S.D of 2 mins. The avg for the total trip is (obviously) the sum = 13 mins since it is linear. S.D. is not linear, so how do I calculate the total standard deviation for the trip A-B-C?
    :
    :
    :
    And what is S.D ?
  • : : [b][red]This message was edited by vort3X at 2006-6-26 5:35:57[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I would like to find out the total standard deviation by two independant events. e.g. a car travels from A to B with an avg of 5 mins and S.D of 1 min, then travels from B to C with an avg of 8 mins and S.D of 2 mins. The avg for the total trip is (obviously) the sum = 13 mins since it is linear. S.D. is not linear, so how do I calculate the total standard deviation for the trip A-B-C?
    : :
    : And what is S.D ?
    :
    Singular in Something