Programming a Sound Blaster audigy SE

[b][red]This message was edited by pablowheel at 2006-8-1 12:13:53[/red][/b][hr]
Hi,

I'm trying to program a Sound Blaster audigy SE card (24 bits). I've found lots of documents on the web which explain how to program a Sound Blaster 16 card.
There two main differences between this cards. First the number of bits they work with and then the slot type (ISA vs. PCI).

Can anyone tell me if they're compatible between them? I mean, can I use the available information about Sound Blaster 16 to program de audigy? Are the IO ports the same?

From already thank you very much

Pablo Dichenzo
Rosario
Argentina

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    For one, the Audigy series are PnP, and while the SB16 also had PCI versions of the card, I do remember being able to manually set the IO port on the card using jumpers. Also, once you're in Windows, DirectX and/or DirectSound has control of the card, so it would be faster and easier to use the DX API to control it. If you're programming under Linux or DOS, or even some other OS, I'm not sure what to tell you.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• Thanks for your answer, i'll explain what i'm desinging.
    I'm doing my thesys of Electronic Engineer and I must desing a system wich emits a senoidal signal of diferents frecuencies and amplitudes, this is called audiometer.
    Well, this equipment mustn't depend on a computer, so I have to desing a system with a microcontroller (PIC family) conected to the sound card.

PIC ==== Interface ===== Sound Blaster (24 bits minumum)

I've already obtained the PCI protocol from the web, i know how to program a PIC but i can't get any information about this sound card. Once i get it, i'll be able to finish my project, till then...

Any sugestions will be well receibed.

(Sorry for my incorrect use of English)

: For one, the Audigy series are PnP, and while the SB16 also had PCI versions of the card, I do remember being able to manually set the IO port on the card using jumpers. Also, once you're in Windows, DirectX and/or DirectSound has control of the card, so it would be faster and easier to use the DX API to control it. If you're programming under Linux or DOS, or even some other OS, I'm not sure what to tell you.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    From what I understand, You have an Audigy soundcard that is not installed in a computer and you want to use it outside the computer. That is well beyond my experience. However, if you wish to use the soundcard IN a computer, then DirectSound or OpenAL would be the way to go. This does not limit you in any way, and even allows the use of other soundcards should the need ever arise. Using OpenAL would even allow the software to run on almost any major OS around.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]