Encryption program works differently in Virtual Pascal for Win32?

Hi!

I have a question about this source code:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/4123/download.aspx

I've downloaded it for use in a game I've made. It's purpose is to encrypt the hi-score file. It works perfectly in the DOS version of the game, but I'm now porting the game to Win32 and I've run into a problem.
The encryption works as it should within the Win32 version of the game, but when I try to use a hi-score file made with the DOS version in the Win32 version, the decryption comes out completely messed up -- despite the fact that I've used the exact same code key in both versions! Why is that?!

Comments

• : Hi!
    :
    : I have a question about this source code:
    :
    : http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/4123/download.aspx
    :
    : I've downloaded it for use in a game I've made. It's purpose is to encrypt the hi-score file. It works perfectly in the DOS version of the game, but I'm now porting the game to Win32 and I've run into a problem.
    : The encryption works as it should within the Win32 version of the game, but when I try to use a hi-score file made with the DOS version in the Win32 version, the decryption comes out completely messed up -- despite the fact that I've used the exact same code key in both versions! Why is that?!
    :
    It could be that the endianness is different between the two. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_endian for info about endianness.
    Most often encryptions are based on bit scrambling. If the endianness is different, then the unscrambling goes wrong.
  • : : Hi!
    : :
    : : I have a question about this source code:
    : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/4123/download.aspx
    : : I've downloaded it for use in a game I've made. It's purpose is to encrypt the hi-score file. It works perfectly in the DOS version of the game, but I'm now porting the game to Win32 and I've run into a problem.
    : : The encryption works as it should within the Win32 version of the game, but when I try to use a hi-score file made with the DOS version in the Win32 version, the decryption comes out completely messed up -- despite the fact that I've used the exact same code key in both versions! Why is that?!
    : It could be that the endianness is different between the two. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_endian for info about endianness.
    : Most often encryptions are based on bit scrambling. If the endianness is different, then the unscrambling goes wrong.
    :

Thanks for your reply! I've now read the wikipedia info on endianess and while I understand the concept I'll be damned if I know how to apply this to my program -- or if I can at all! I guess it isn't a problem with the source code as it doesn't change, but must be how the code is compiled in Borland Pascal versus Virtual Pascal?
  • : : : Hi!
    : : :
    : : : I have a question about this source code:
    : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/4123/download.aspx
    : : : I've downloaded it for use in a game I've made. It's purpose is to encrypt the hi-score file. It works perfectly in the DOS version of the game, but I'm now porting the game to Win32 and I've run into a problem.
    : : : The encryption works as it should within the Win32 version of the game, but when I try to use a hi-score file made with the DOS version in the Win32 version, the decryption comes out completely messed up -- despite the fact that I've used the exact same code key in both versions! Why is that?!
    : : It could be that the endianness is different between the two. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_endian for info about endianness.
    : : Most often encryptions are based on bit scrambling. If the endianness is different, then the unscrambling goes wrong.
    :
    :
    : Thanks for your reply! I've now read the wikipedia info on endianess and while I understand the concept I'll be damned if I know how to apply this to my program -- or if I can at all! I guess it isn't a problem with the source code as it doesn't change, but must be how the code is compiled in Borland Pascal versus Virtual Pascal?
    :
    You can remedy this by forcing both compilers to use a single storage method using a compiler directive, or by rewriting the file IO to make sure the order of the bytes is identical.
  • : : : : Hi!
    : : : :
    : : : : I have a question about this source code:
    : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/4123/download.aspx
    : : : : I've downloaded it for use in a game I've made. It's purpose is to encrypt the hi-score file. It works perfectly in the DOS version of the game, but I'm now porting the game to Win32 and I've run into a problem.
    : : : : The encryption works as it should within the Win32 version of the game, but when I try to use a hi-score file made with the DOS version in the Win32 version, the decryption comes out completely messed up -- despite the fact that I've used the exact same code key in both versions! Why is that?!
    : : : It could be that the endianness is different between the two. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_endian for info about endianness.
    : : : Most often encryptions are based on bit scrambling. If the endianness is different, then the unscrambling goes wrong.
    : : Thanks for your reply! I've now read the wikipedia info on endianess and while I understand the concept I'll be damned if I know how to apply this to my program -- or if I can at all! I guess it isn't a problem with the source code as it doesn't change, but must be how the code is compiled in Borland Pascal versus Virtual Pascal?
    : You can remedy this by forcing both compilers to use a single storage method using a compiler directive, or by rewriting the file IO to make sure the order of the bytes is identical.
    :
    Hi !
    Doesn't the problem reside in the length of the Word type ?
    It's 16-bit long in Borland Pascal 32-bit in Virtual Pascal.
    You can either use the [b]SmallWord[/b] type instead of Word or use the {&Use32-} directive.
  • : : : : : Hi!
    : : : : :
    : : : : : I have a question about this source code:
    : : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/4123/download.aspx
    : : : : : I've downloaded it for use in a game I've made. It's purpose is to encrypt the hi-score file. It works perfectly in the DOS version of the game, but I'm now porting the game to Win32 and I've run into a problem.
    : : : : : The encryption works as it should within the Win32 version of the game, but when I try to use a hi-score file made with the DOS version in the Win32 version, the decryption comes out completely messed up -- despite the fact that I've used the exact same code key in both versions! Why is that?!
    : : : : It could be that the endianness is different between the two. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_endian for info about endianness.
    : : : : Most often encryptions are based on bit scrambling. If the endianness is different, then the unscrambling goes wrong.
    : : : Thanks for your reply! I've now read the wikipedia info on endianess and while I understand the concept I'll be damned if I know how to apply this to my program -- or if I can at all! I guess it isn't a problem with the source code as it doesn't change, but must be how the code is compiled in Borland Pascal versus Virtual Pascal?
    : : You can remedy this by forcing both compilers to use a single storage method using a compiler directive, or by rewriting the file IO to make sure the order of the bytes is identical.
    : Hi !
    : Doesn't the problem reside in the length of the Word type ?
    : It's 16-bit long in Borland Pascal 32-bit in Virtual Pascal.
    : You can either use the [b]SmallWord[/b] type instead of Word or use the {&Use32-} directive.
    :
    I never considered that, because as a TP7, 16-bit Delphi, and 32-bit Delphi programmer I've never seen a [b]word[/b] being anything else than a 16-bit unsigned integer. But that's a good point, and worth looking into for PP2005.
  • : : : : : : Hi!
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : I have a question about this source code:
    : : : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/4123/download.aspx
    : : : : : : I've downloaded it for use in a game I've made. It's purpose is to encrypt the hi-score file. It works perfectly in the DOS version of the game, but I'm now porting the game to Win32 and I've run into a problem.
    : : : : : : The encryption works as it should within the Win32 version of the game, but when I try to use a hi-score file made with the DOS version in the Win32 version, the decryption comes out completely messed up -- despite the fact that I've used the exact same code key in both versions! Why is that?!
    : : : : : It could be that the endianness is different between the two. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_endian for info about endianness.
    : : : : : Most often encryptions are based on bit scrambling. If the endianness is different, then the unscrambling goes wrong.
    : : : : Thanks for your reply! I've now read the wikipedia info on endianess and while I understand the concept I'll be damned if I know how to apply this to my program -- or if I can at all! I guess it isn't a problem with the source code as it doesn't change, but must be how the code is compiled in Borland Pascal versus Virtual Pascal?
    : : : You can remedy this by forcing both compilers to use a single storage method using a compiler directive, or by rewriting the file IO to make sure the order of the bytes is identical.
    : : Hi !
    : : Doesn't the problem reside in the length of the Word type ?
    : : It's 16-bit long in Borland Pascal 32-bit in Virtual Pascal.
    : : You can either use the [b]SmallWord[/b] type instead of Word or use the {&Use32-} directive.
    : I never considered that, because as a TP7, 16-bit Delphi, and 32-bit Delphi programmer I've never seen a [b]word[/b] being anything else than a 16-bit unsigned integer. But that's a good point, and worth looking into for PP2005.
    :

Thanks for the input, Alcatiz! I tried changing all the word types in my encryption unit to smallword, but that didn't change anything. Neither does using the {&Use32-} compiler directive, so I guess the problem isn't in the word type.

Zibadian: I've looked for compiler directives for setting a single storage method, but haven't found any. Do you have any idea what it's called? I'm afraid that rewriting the file IO is a bit beyond my programming capabilities... :o(
  • : : : : : : : Hi!
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : I have a question about this source code:
    : : : : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/4123/download.aspx
    : : : : : : : I've downloaded it for use in a game I've made. It's purpose is to encrypt the hi-score file. It works perfectly in the DOS version of the game, but I'm now porting the game to Win32 and I've run into a problem.
    : : : : : : : The encryption works as it should within the Win32 version of the game, but when I try to use a hi-score file made with the DOS version in the Win32 version, the decryption comes out completely messed up -- despite the fact that I've used the exact same code key in both versions! Why is that?!
    : : : : : : It could be that the endianness is different between the two. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_endian for info about endianness.
    : : : : : : Most often encryptions are based on bit scrambling. If the endianness is different, then the unscrambling goes wrong.
    : : : : : Thanks for your reply! I've now read the wikipedia info on endianess and while I understand the concept I'll be damned if I know how to apply this to my program -- or if I can at all! I guess it isn't a problem with the source code as it doesn't change, but must be how the code is compiled in Borland Pascal versus Virtual Pascal?
    : : : : You can remedy this by forcing both compilers to use a single storage method using a compiler directive, or by rewriting the file IO to make sure the order of the bytes is identical.
    : : : Hi !
    : : : Doesn't the problem reside in the length of the Word type ?
    : : : It's 16-bit long in Borland Pascal 32-bit in Virtual Pascal.
    : : : You can either use the [b]SmallWord[/b] type instead of Word or use the {&Use32-} directive.
    : : I never considered that, because as a TP7, 16-bit Delphi, and 32-bit Delphi programmer I've never seen a [b]word[/b] being anything else than a 16-bit unsigned integer. But that's a good point, and worth looking into for PP2005.
    :
    :
    : Thanks for the input, Alcatiz! I tried changing all the word types in my encryption unit to smallword, but that didn't change anything. Neither does using the {&Use32-} compiler directive, so I guess the problem isn't in the word type.
    :
    : Zibadian: I've looked for compiler directives for setting a single storage method, but haven't found any. Do you have any idea what it's called? I'm afraid that rewriting the file IO is a bit beyond my programming capabilities... :o(
    :
    In Delphi I cannot fins it either, but I found the Swap() function.
    This kind of reading/writing is actually quite simple. The code below shows one way of copying the value of a word into an array:
    [code]
    type
    TMyWord = array[0..1] of byte;
    var
    SomeWord: word;
    SomeMyWord: TMyWord;
    begin
    Move(SomeWord, SomeMyWord, SizeOf(SomeWord));
    end;
    [/code]
    Then you can directly control the order of the bytes inthe writing part:
    [code]
    // Same endianness
    write(f, SomeMyWord[0], SomeMyWord[1]);
    // Different endianness
    write(f, SomeMyWord[1], SomeMyWord[0]);
    [/code]
    Reading it is quite similar:
    [code]
    // Same endianness
    read(f, SomeMyWord[0], SomeMyWord[1]);
    // Different endianness
    read(f, SomeMyWord[1], SomeMyWord[0]);
    Move(SomeMyWord, SomeWord, SizeOf(SomeWord));
    [/code]
    You can expand these to include all multi-byte types as you see fit.
  • : In Delphi I cannot fins it either, but I found the Swap() function.
    : This kind of reading/writing is actually quite simple. The code below shows one way of copying the value of a word into an array:
    : [code]
    : type
    : TMyWord = array[0..1] of byte;
    : var
    : SomeWord: word;
    : SomeMyWord: TMyWord;
    : begin
    : Move(SomeWord, SomeMyWord, SizeOf(SomeWord));
    : end;
    : [/code]
    : Then you can directly control the order of the bytes inthe writing part:
    : // Same endianness
    : write(f, SomeMyWord[0], SomeMyWord[1]);
    : // Different endianness
    : write(f, SomeMyWord[1], SomeMyWord[0]);
    : Reading it is quite similar:
    : // Same endianness
    : read(f, SomeMyWord[0], SomeMyWord[1]);
    : // Different endianness
    : read(f, SomeMyWord[1], SomeMyWord[0]);
    : Move(SomeMyWord, SomeWord, SizeOf(SomeWord));
    : You can expand these to include all multi-byte types as you see fit.
    :

I'll try this. Thanks for you help!