confussion

Are c sharp and c# same thing?

Comments

• : Are c sharp and c# same thing?
    :
    :
    Yes, they are. '#' being sharp, from the symbol in music. Otherwise, it'd be like "C hash" or something.

why did microsoft use that symbol? i dont know.
    {2}rIng
  • : : Are c sharp and c# same thing?
    : :
    : Yes, they are. '#' being sharp, from the symbol in music. Otherwise, it'd be like "C hash" or something.
    :
    : why did microsoft use that symbol? i dont know.
    : {2}rIng
    :
    i havent looked into it much but isnt c# supposed to be for for .net
    apps?
  • : : : Are c sharp and c# same thing?
    : : :
    : : Yes, they are. '#' being sharp, from the symbol in music. Otherwise, it'd be like "C hash" or something.
    : : why did microsoft use that symbol? i dont know.
    : : {2}rIng
    : i havent looked into it much but isnt c# supposed to be for for .net
    : apps?
    :
    Yes, that's why it's named C#.net

• : : i havent looked into it much but isnt c# supposed to be for for .net
    : : apps?
    : Yes, that's why it's named C#.net
    :
    ok smart a** ;)
  • :
    : : : i havent looked into it much but isnt c# supposed to be for for .net
    : : : apps?
    : : Yes, that's why it's named C#.net
    : ok smart a** ;)
    :

the "++" in C++ made sense, but the # doesn't...Its not even an operator in C or normal math...may be in certain script languages, its the start of a comment line...

And you can't say, "Well, Microsoft wanted to be unique and make their own name, not one that states any evolution of some kind...". I read somewhere that they claimed C# was the "natural" evolution of the language. C# is a good language in itself, but the loss of power makes it into just another (but good) C/C++-based language, but not a successor.

Thats my opinion at least...

{2}rIng
  • : the "++" in C++ made sense, but the # doesn't...Its not even an operator in C or normal math...may be in certain script languages, its the start of a comment line...
    :
    : And you can't say, "Well, Microsoft wanted to be unique and make their own name, not one that states any evolution of some kind...". I read somewhere that they claimed C# was the "natural" evolution of the language. C# is a good language in itself, but the loss of power makes it into just another (but good) C/C++-based language, but not a successor.
    :

I don't agree with what you say, C# is the best langauge on the .net platform. C++.net is messy, and VB.NET is bad, and then C# is the only one left.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by Gregry2 at 2006-8-27 6:32:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : : the "++" in C++ made sense, but the # doesn't...Its not even an operator in C or normal math...may be in certain script languages, its the start of a comment line...
    : : And you can't say, "Well, Microsoft wanted to be unique and make their own name, not one that states any evolution of some kind...". I read somewhere that they claimed C# was the "natural" evolution of the language. C# is a good language in itself, but the loss of power makes it into just another (but good) C/C++-based language, but not a successor.
    :
    : I don't agree with what you say, C# is the best langauge on the .net platform. C++.net is messy, and VB.NET is bad, and then C# is the only one left.
    :

Sorry, I didn't put my emphasis well. I didn't really say C# was bad or anything. I just said it isn't a good successor to C++, thats all.

I like Java a bit better, but thats only 'cause I'm used to it. C# has operator overloading and other things like...I forgot what you call it, special state variables in classes, properties, thats it; as well as more familiar syntax and keywords...

It is a good language, don't get me wrong, and most undoubtably the best language on .NET. But for me, I don't like .NET ONLY because its restricted to Win-ish types(there are some things trying to get it on Unix types, but its obviously not popular). Other than that, theres no reason to see it as evil compared to Java.

{2}rIng

P.S., has anyone programmed in J++, I'm curious to know what its like...

• [blue]If you look closely, it is just a graphic trick - clever too, I might add.The # is the same ++ - just pluses are shifted, so their areas overlap and you get #. Nice![/blue]
  • : : : the "++" in C++ made sense, but the # doesn't...Its not even an operator in C or normal math...may be in certain script languages, its the start of a comment line...
    : : : And you can't say, "Well, Microsoft wanted to be unique and make their own name, not one that states any evolution of some kind...". I read somewhere that they claimed C# was the "natural" evolution of the language. C# is a good language in itself, but the loss of power makes it into just another (but good) C/C++-based language, but not a successor.
    : : I don't agree with what you say, C# is the best langauge on the .net platform. C++.net is messy, and VB.NET is bad, and then C# is the only one left.
    :
    : Sorry, I didn't put my emphasis well. I didn't really say C# was bad or anything. I just said it isn't a good successor to C++, thats all.
    :
    : I like Java a bit better, but thats only 'cause I'm used to it. C# has operator overloading and other things like...I forgot what you call it, special state variables in classes, properties, thats it; as well as more familiar syntax and keywords...
    :
    : It is a good language, don't get me wrong, and most undoubtably the best language on .NET. But for me, I don't like .NET ONLY because its restricted to Win-ish types(there are some things trying to get it on Unix types, but its obviously not popular). Other than that, theres no reason to see it as evil compared to Java.

[blue]
    I would say that C# is the successor of C++ on the .net platform, but successors don't always have to be better. I think the whole .net platform is crap.

It's basicly a new Java platform for windows, but a lot slower and a lot worse. I think they wrote it so all people who can't learn java(VBers) could pretend to write platfrom independent, or even worse, they wrote it so they could write in a easy language for an easy platform. That way they don't have to learn anything.
    [/blue]

:
    :
    : P.S., has anyone programmed in J++, I'm curious to know what its like...
    :
    :
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by Gregry2 at 2006-8-27 6:32:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : the "++" in C++ made sense, but the # doesn't...Its not even an operator in C or normal math...may be in certain script languages, its the start of a comment line...
    : : : And you can't say, "Well, Microsoft wanted to be unique and make their own name, not one that states any evolution of some kind...". I read somewhere that they claimed C# was the "natural" evolution of the language. C# is a good language in itself, but the loss of power makes it into just another (but good) C/C++-based language, but not a successor.
    : : I don't agree with what you say, C# is the best langauge on the .net platform. C++.net is messy, and VB.NET is bad, and then C# is the only one left.
    :
    : Sorry, I didn't put my emphasis well. I didn't really say C# was bad or anything. I just said it isn't a good successor to C++, thats all.
    :
    : I like Java a bit better, but thats only 'cause I'm used to it. C# has operator overloading and other things like...I forgot what you call it, special state variables in classes, properties, thats it; as well as more familiar syntax and keywords...
    :
    : It is a good language, don't get me wrong, and most undoubtably the best language on .NET. But for me, I don't like .NET ONLY because its restricted to Win-ish types(there are some things trying to get it on Unix types, but its obviously not popular). Other than that, theres no reason to see it as evil compared to Java.
    :
    :
    : P.S., has anyone programmed in J++, I'm curious to know what its like...
    :

C# is the successor of Java, not C++. They just named it something C:ish to fool everyone. MS made it because Sun wouldn't allow them to make their own Java standard (J++).