Careers in C/C++

Forgive me for this post as I know this sort of thing is spam and evil.

I have a task, given to me by school, that requires interviewing someone of a profession I am interested in. Rather than wasting the assignment and interviewing someone like a teacher or I.T. Technician I decided that I wanted to interview a software engineer, unfortunately however I do not know any software engineers personally and therefore decided to send emails to several computing firms, namely microsoft, JadeLiquid and Novell. However unfortunately so far I lack a reply from every place I've emailed and therefore have turned to this good old trusty website as a last resort for this project.

I would appreciate it if any one employed as a programmer would considering answering some of the folllowing questions.

What sort of environment does a programmer work in, eg. do you work in an office cubical, from home etc?

On average, how many days a week do programmers work?

Is working as a programmer stressful?

What sort of pay bracket do programmers recieve?

Do people, working as programmers, get to travel in their work and if so to what extent?

How long is the average programmers holiday?

What gets you job in software engineering?, ie. university degrees, technical college degrees, apprenticeships etc.

What sort of work does a programmer preform?

Is there a social element within software engineering?

Are qualified software engineers highly sort after?

That's a few questions really. Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions or even reading.

Cheers.

Comments

• : Forgive me for this post as I know this sort of thing is spam and evil.
    :
    : I have a task, given to me by school, that requires interviewing someone of a profession I am interested in. Rather than wasting the assignment and interviewing someone like a teacher or I.T. Technician I decided that I wanted to interview a software engineer, unfortunately however I do not know any software engineers personally and therefore decided to send emails to several computing firms, namely microsoft, JadeLiquid and Novell. However unfortunately so far I lack a reply from every place I've emailed and therefore have turned to this good old trusty website as a last resort for this project.
    :
    : I would appreciate it if any one employed as a programmer would considering answering some of the folllowing questions.
    :
    : What sort of environment does a programmer work in, eg. do you work in an office cubical, from home etc?
    :
    [blue]I worked in all of these conditions. Offices are rare. I was lucky once to have an office for 5 yrs. From home is rare too. Mostly - cubicles.[/blue]

: On average, how many days a week do programmers work?

[blue]5 days on average, rare 6 and 7. I am on 60-hour week since November 2005. Sad... have to fix my car...[/blue]

: Is working as a programmer stressful?

[blue]I say, depends on your management. If your manager is good - can properly plan work and assess the situation - then no stress. Otherwise, when plans go south - wait for trouble.[/blue]
    :
    : What sort of pay bracket do programmers recieve?

[blue]That's varies from country to country. I am in Canada, so here if you are full time - 50,000-100,000 a year or so. Contractors can make 40-80 dollars an hour or so. Depends on skills.[/blue]
    :
    : Do people, working as programmers, get to travel in their work and if so to what extent?

[blue]I say traveling is rare.[/blue]
    :
    : How long is the average programmers holiday?
    [blue]Here, in Canada - 2 weeks. I heard, in Europe - 3 weeks or more. [/blue]
    :
    : What gets you job in software engineering?, ie. university degrees, technical college degrees, apprenticeships etc.
    [blue]Degrees are important, but I say that if you have skills and can prove it on an interview - you have a chance even without a degree.[/blue]
    :
    : What sort of work does a programmer preform?
    [blue]Depends on management again. Basically, the programmer should have specification on a part of a system or whole system and he/she should provide that functionality in code.[/blue]
    :
    : Is there a social element within software engineering?
    [blue]Obviously. Very rare - the programmer is a single individual who writes code. Almost everywhere - there are teams of programmers, so you need to be able to socialize and communicate with others.[/blue]
    :
    : Are qualified software engineers highly sort after?
    [blue]I did not get that question... sorry.[/blue]
    :
    : That's a few questions really. Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions or even reading.
    :
    : Cheers.
    :

• :
    : : Are qualified software engineers highly sort after?
    : [blue]I did not get that question... sorry.[/blue]
    [green]I think he meant [italic]sought[/italic] after...{2}rIng[/green]
  • : : Forgive me for this post as I know this sort of thing is spam and evil.
    : :
    : : I have a task, given to me by school, that requires interviewing someone of a profession I am interested in. Rather than wasting the assignment and interviewing someone like a teacher or I.T. Technician I decided that I wanted to interview a software engineer, unfortunately however I do not know any software engineers personally and therefore decided to send emails to several computing firms, namely microsoft, JadeLiquid and Novell. However unfortunately so far I lack a reply from every place I've emailed and therefore have turned to this good old trusty website as a last resort for this project.
    : : I would appreciate it if any one employed as a programmer would considering answering some of the folllowing questions.
    : : What sort of environment does a programmer work in, eg. do you work in an office cubical, from home etc?
    : [blue]I worked in all of these conditions. Offices are rare. I was lucky once to have an office for 5 yrs. From home is rare too. Mostly - cubicles.[/blue]
    [red][italic]I'm from the Netherlands, Europe....[/italic][/red]
    [red]I nearly always worked in an office, for several different employers. Occasionaly from home.[/red]
    :
    : : On average, how many days a week do programmers work?
    :
    : [blue]5 days on average, rare 6 and 7. I am on 60-hour week since November 2005. Sad... have to fix my car...[/blue]
    [red]I work parttime for the past 8 years, 32 hours by contract, 36 hours on average. Getting a parttime job in the Netherlands is relatively easy.[/red]
    :
    : : Is working as a programmer stressful?
    :
    : [blue]I say, depends on your management. If your manager is good - can properly plan work and assess the situation - then no stress. Otherwise, when plans go south - wait for trouble.[/blue]
    [red]Agree, maybe depends also on the branch you work in. I've had many stressfull periods, but more non-stressfull.[/red]

: : What sort of pay bracket do programmers recieve?
    :
    : [blue]That's varies from country to country. I am in Canada, so here if you are full time - 50,000-100,000 a year or so. Contractors can make 40-80 dollars an hour or so. Depends on skills.[/blue]
    [red]I make about 46,000 euro's a year, for the 32-hour week. But that's far above average here. I'd say an experienced programmer would make 35,000 - 45,000 fulltime on average.[/red]

: : Do people, working as programmers, get to travel in their work and if so to what extent?
    :
    : [blue]I say traveling is rare.[/blue]
    [red]Agree.[/red]

: : How long is the average programmers holiday?
    : [blue]Here, in Canada - 2 weeks. I heard, in Europe - 3 weeks or more. [/blue]
    [red]In the Netherlands, the minimum number of holidays is 20, by law. That's 4 weeks. On average, it is about 25 days. I get 26 days a year (because I'm over 35 years old).
    [/red]
    : : What gets you job in software engineering?, ie. university degrees, technical college degrees, apprenticeships etc.
    : [blue]Degrees are important, but I say that if you have skills and can prove it on an interview - you have a chance even without a degree.[/blue]
    [red]I'd say proven skills are even more important than degrees.
    I once got rejected at a website-building company for not having enough degrees. When I sent them the url to a site I made, they let me have an interview after all. (didn't get the job, though, for other reasons).
    [/red]
    : : What sort of work does a programmer preform?
    : [blue]Depends on management again. Basically, the programmer should have specification on a part of a system or whole system and he/she should provide that functionality in code.[/blue]
    [red]They program. I.m.o. there's a difference between a developer and a programmer. A developer is highly involved in the creation of the functional and technical specs, and a programmer just programs the functionality.
    [/red]

: : Is there a social element within software engineering?
    : [blue]Obviously. Very rare - the programmer is a single individual who writes code. Almost everywhere - there are teams of programmers, so you need to be able to socialize and communicate with others.[/blue]
    [red]A good programmer is almost by definition a loner :)[/red]
    : : Are qualified software engineers highly sort after?
    : [blue]I did not get that question... sorry.[/blue]
    : : That's a few questions really. Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions or even reading.
    : : Cheers.
    :
    :

Greets,
    Eric Goldstein
    http://www.gvh-maatwerk.nl

• : : : Forgive me for this post as I know this sort of thing is spam and evil.
    : : :
    : : : I have a task, given to me by school, that requires interviewing someone of a profession I am interested in. Rather than wasting the assignment and interviewing someone like a teacher or I.T. Technician I decided that I wanted to interview a software engineer, unfortunately however I do not know any software engineers personally and therefore decided to send emails to several computing firms, namely microsoft, JadeLiquid and Novell. However unfortunately so far I lack a reply from every place I've emailed and therefore have turned to this good old trusty website as a last resort for this project.
    : : : I would appreciate it if any one employed as a programmer would considering answering some of the folllowing questions.
    : : : What sort of environment does a programmer work in, eg. do you work in an office cubical, from home etc?
    : : [blue]I worked in all of these conditions. Offices are rare. I was lucky once to have an office for 5 yrs. From home is rare too. Mostly - cubicles.[/blue]
    : [red][italic]I'm from the Netherlands, Europe....[/italic][/red]
    : [red]I nearly always worked in an office, for several different employers. Occasionaly from home.[/red]

[green]I'm from Sweden, Europe. I work at an office / laboratory. Since the job involves testing the program on hardware, it is usually not meaningful to work from home.

In Sweden I'd say cubicles are rare, most programmers have their own office.
    [/green]

: : : On average, how many days a week do programmers work?
    : : [blue]5 days on average, rare 6 and 7. I am on 60-hour week since November 2005. Sad... have to fix my car...[/blue]
    : [red]I work parttime for the past 8 years, 32 hours by contract, 36 hours on average. Getting a parttime job in the Netherlands is relatively easy.[/red]

[green]40 hours per week. It is no problem getting a parttime job in Sweden either.[/green]

: : : Is working as a programmer stressful?
    : : [blue]I say, depends on your management. If your manager is good - can properly plan work and assess the situation - then no stress. Otherwise, when plans go south - wait for trouble.[/blue]
    : [red]Agree, maybe depends also on the branch you work in. I've had many stressfull periods, but more non-stressfull.[/red]

[green]Same here. It usually only get stressful when getting close to a deadline.[/green]

: : : What sort of pay bracket do programmers recieve?
    : : [blue]That's varies from country to country. I am in Canada, so here if you are full time - 50,000-100,000 a year or so. Contractors can make 40-80 dollars an hour or so. Depends on skills.[/blue]
    : [red]I make about 46,000 euro's a year, for the 32-hour week. But that's far above average here. I'd say an experienced programmer would make 35,000 - 45,000 fulltime on average.[/red]

[green]More or less the same payment here.[/green]

:
    : : : Do people, working as programmers, get to travel in their work and if so to what extent?
    : : [blue]I say traveling is rare.[/blue]
    : [red]Agree.[/red]

[green]I travel to visit customers perhaps 2-3 times per year, and maybe visiting a trade fair now and then as well.[/green]

: : : How long is the average programmers holiday?
    : : [blue]Here, in Canada - 2 weeks. I heard, in Europe - 3 weeks or more. [/blue]
    : [red]In the Netherlands, the minimum number of holidays is 20, by law. That's 4 weeks. On average, it is about 25 days. I get 26 days a year (because I'm over 35 years old).
    : [/red]

[green]In Sweden we have 5 weeks, reglated by law.[/green]

: : : What gets you job in software engineering?, ie. university degrees, technical college degrees, apprenticeships etc.
    : : [blue]Degrees are important, but I say that if you have skills and can prove it on an interview - you have a chance even without a degree.[/blue]
    : [red]I'd say proven skills are even more important than degrees.
    : I once got rejected at a website-building company for not having enough degrees. When I sent them the url to a site I made, they let me have an interview after all. (didn't get the job, though, for other reasons).

[green]The degree is there to show that you are serious and have the ability to learn, everyone knows that people fresh from school really don't have a clue about the work itself :-). To get a decent job as programmer, you would need a degree and work experience as well.[/green]

: : : What sort of work does a programmer preform?
    : : [blue]Depends on management again. Basically, the programmer should have specification on a part of a system or whole system and he/she should provide that functionality in code.[/blue]
    : [red]They program. I.m.o. there's a difference between a developer and a programmer. A developer is highly involved in the creation of the functional and technical specs, and a programmer just programs the functionality.

[green]Yep... since I work with product development, I do a lot of things not at all related to programming: electronics , mechanical etc. Though I try to shovel that on someone else since it is not something I'm particulary good at... :-)
    [/green]

:
    : : : Is there a social element within software engineering?
    : : [blue]Obviously. Very rare - the programmer is a single individual who writes code. Almost everywhere - there are teams of programmers, so you need to be able to socialize and communicate with others.[/blue]
    : [red]A good programmer is almost by definition a loner :)[/red]

[green]I don't think it is much different from any other administative work. I'd say that "the programmer sitting alone in a basement" is a myth.[/green]

: : : Are qualified software engineers highly sort after?
    : : [blue]I did not get that question... sorry.[/blue]

[green]Highly sought after? Yes, it is easy to get a job if you are qualified. And it is easier to get a job in the embedded branch where I work than as a desktop/PC programmer, since there's way less people to compete with per job available.[/green]

• This isn't exactly answering bluj91 (since I obviously cant), but Lundin and tsagld, you two work only parttime? May i ask if you hold another job or jobs while your programming job?

{2}rIng
  • : This isn't exactly answering bluj91 (since I obviously cant), but Lundin and tsagld, you two work only parttime? May i ask if you hold another job or jobs while your programming job?
    :
    : {2}rIng
    :

No, I work full-time which is 40 hours per week. I just said it is easy to get a job parttime here if you wish.
  • : : This isn't exactly answering bluj91 (since I obviously cant), but Lundin and tsagld, you two work only parttime? May i ask if you hold another job or jobs while your programming job?
    : : {2}rIng
    :
    :
    : No, I work full-time which is 40 hours per week. I just said it is easy to get a job parttime here if you wish.
    :
    oops, my number logic was wrong, sorry about that.
    {2}rIng
  • : Forgive me for this post as I know this sort of thing is spam and evil.
    :
    : I have a task, given to me by school, that requires interviewing someone of a profession I am interested in. Rather than wasting the assignment and interviewing someone like a teacher or I.T. Technician I decided that I wanted to interview a software engineer, unfortunately however I do not know any software engineers personally and therefore decided to send emails to several computing firms, namely microsoft, JadeLiquid and Novell. However unfortunately so far I lack a reply from every place I've emailed and therefore have turned to this good old trusty website as a last resort for this project.
    :
    : I would appreciate it if any one employed as a programmer would considering answering some of the folllowing questions.
    :
    : What sort of environment does a programmer work in, eg. do you work in an office cubical, from home etc?
    :
    : On average, how many days a week do programmers work?
    :
    : Is working as a programmer stressful?
    :
    : What sort of pay bracket do programmers recieve?
    :
    : Do people, working as programmers, get to travel in their work and if so to what extent?
    :
    : How long is the average programmers holiday?
    :
    : What gets you job in software engineering?, ie. university degrees, technical college degrees, apprenticeships etc.
    :
    : What sort of work does a programmer preform?
    :
    : Is there a social element within software engineering?
    :
    : Are qualified software engineers highly sort after?
    :
    : That's a few questions really. Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions or even reading.
    :
    : Cheers.
    :
    Thanks for answering my questions.
  • This isn't really an answer but an extension to the discussion.

Im studying mechatronic engineering in australia and some of my friends are software engineers but according to them software engineers and programmers are quite different in terms of the work they do. I've also heard this from some of my lecturers. Apparently software engineers do more of the design (algorithms, etc) whereas programmers do the actual work of building the application.

For those of you working in the field, is this true?
  • : This isn't really an answer but an extension to the discussion.
    :
    : Im studying mechatronic engineering in australia and some of my friends are software engineers but according to them software engineers and programmers are quite different in terms of the work they do. I've also heard this from some of my lecturers. Apparently software engineers do more of the design (algorithms, etc) whereas programmers do the actual work of building the application.
    :
    : For those of you working in the field, is this true?
    :

Nah. A software engineer is someone with a degree, while a programmer could be anyone, it is a more vauge title. Since they teach engineers how to do program design in school (object-oriented modelling, design patterns etc), chances are higher that they will end up doing that.

Think of "programmer" as the abstract base class inherited by "software engineer" :-) A software engineer is a programmer, but at programmer isn't necessarily a software engineer.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by tsagld at 2006-9-4 5:45:32[/red][/b][hr]
    : This isn't exactly answering bluj91 (since I obviously cant), but Lundin and tsagld, you two work only parttime? May i ask if you hold another job or jobs while your programming job?
    :
    : {2}rIng
    :
    No. I take care of my 3-year-old son on my day off. How modern I am....

Greets,
    Eric Goldstein
    http://www.gvh-maatwerk.nl

• [blue]So, if I am implementing my own design, then I am an engineer!
    So happy!..
    [/blue]
  • : [blue]So, if I am implementing my own design, then I am an engineer!
    : So happy!..
    : [/blue]
    :

Eh... not sure where you got that from. Read my post next time?