Does anyone know if it is possible to re-program a printer?

[b][red]This message was edited by Charlie1138 at 2006-10-12 14:33:36[/red][/b][hr]
Hi there, I am doing a project where I want to make my printer into a type of robot. If possible I would like to re-program it so I don't have to buy new curcuit boards to control the motors. i would also like to use the control system it uses because it has a very accurate positioning system. The printer is just a standard inkjet HP 882C.

What kind of programming language does it use? Can it be hacked?

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by Charlie1138 at 2006-10-12 14:33:36[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi there, I am doing a project where I want to make my printer into a type of robot. If possible I would like to re-program it so I don't have to buy new curcuit boards to control the motors. i would also like to use the control system it uses because it has a very accurate positioning system. The printer is just a standard inkjet HP 882C.
    :
    : What kind of programming language does it use? Can it be hacked?
    :
    : If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!
    :
    :
    :

the machine code of your printer is completely unrelated to the machine code of you pc. Therefore, normal compilers will be unable to generate machine code for your printer. Futhermore, any programming language can exist for any device so long as the makers of that device write a compiler/libraries for it. Last of all, I do not think that it would be easy to rewrite the program of your printer, it's probably stored in some form of ROM. Finally, your rject sounds obscure.
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by Charlie1138 at 2006-10-12 14:33:36[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi there, I am doing a project where I want to make my printer into a type of robot. If possible I would like to re-program it so I don't have to buy new curcuit boards to control the motors. i would also like to use the control system it uses because it has a very accurate positioning system. The printer is just a standard inkjet HP 882C.
    :
    : What kind of programming language does it use? Can it be hacked?
    :
    : If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!
    :
    :
    :
    [green]
    Sure, but it would be a lot of work. First, you need to know what kind of controller it has, how data is put on that chip, and then find a compiler for that controller probably through the manufacturer. Once you find all of that, you are going to have to know how the controller interacts with other components of the system. It is a ton of work and you would be better off making your own circuit board and buying a controller chip.
    [/green]