Directories

[green]
How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
[/green]

Comments

• : [green]
    : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : [/green]
    :
    I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)

Steph
  • : : [green]
    : : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : : [/green]
    : :
    : I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    : Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)
    :
    : Steph
    :

from what I see in the link below there is no easy C solution.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.mp3/browse_thread/thread/3ab403958ad5f0ea/65eeae19a5ef3d2d#65eeae19a5ef3d2d

• : : : [green]
    : : : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : : : [/green]
    : : :
    : : I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    : : Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)
    : : Steph
    :
    :
    : from what I see in the link below there is no easy C solution.
    :
    : http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.mp3/browse_thread/thread/3ab403958ad5f0ea/65eeae19a5ef3d2d#65eeae19a5ef3d2d
    :
    :
    :
    [green]
    The files, unfortunately, are not CDDA. They are in a compressed format of some sort like DTS, Flac, or APE. Besides, it is only the directory information that I need to grab. How does windows get this info from the drive though?
    [/green]
  • : : [green]
    : : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    : Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)
    :
    :
    [green]
    It is not the files I am interested in. It is the directory information. I just want to catalogue the information to a text file. For instance, D: being my DVD drive and D:Black SabbathParanoid being the artist+album, I want to put this info into a text file like below.

Black Sabbath
    -------------

(Disk 1) Paranoid
    (Disk 15) Master Of Reality
    and so on...

I have so much music that I can't keep up with it anymore. This is a project of mine to backup all of my music but you can only fit so much on one DVD in a lossless compressed format ,so keeping up with whats on what is the big problem if I need to uncompress some album or convert to mp3.
    [/green]

• : : : [green]
    : : : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : : I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    : : Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)
    : [green]
    : It is not the files I am interested in. It is the directory information. I just want to catalogue the information to a text file. For instance, D: being my DVD drive and D:Black SabbathParanoid being the artist+album, I want to put this info into a text file like below.
    :
    : Black Sabbath
    : -------------
    :
    : (Disk 1) Paranoid
    : (Disk 15) Master Of Reality
    : and so on...
    :
    :
    : I have so much music that I can't keep up with it anymore. This is a project of mine to backup all of my music but you can only fit so much on one DVD in a lossless compressed format ,so keeping up with whats on what is the big problem if I need to uncompress some album or convert to mp3.
    :
    OK, I think I see what you want to do. I would do it this way (assuming that D: is your DVD drive).
    First call FindFirstFile("*.*",&data). This will give you the first file or directory found at the root. Others will be given by calls to FindNextFile(). Each directory found at the root is then an artist name, according to what you wrote. For each artist, call FindFirstFile("D:\ARTIST_NAME\*.*",&data) and then FindNextFile(). This will give you the albums of this artist.
    Note that you can check whether the file found is a real file or a directory by testing one of the field in the structure "data", in fact the field containing the file attributes.

Is this what you want?
    Steph

• : : : : [green]
    : : : : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : : : : [/green]
    : : : :
    : : : I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    : : : Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)
    : : : Steph
    : : [green]
    : : It is not the files I am interested in. It is the directory information. I just want to catalogue the information to a text file. For instance, D: being my DVD drive and D:Black SabbathParanoid being the artist+album, I want to put this info into a text file like below.
    : : Black Sabbath
    : : -------------
    : : (Disk 1) Paranoid
    : : (Disk 15) Master Of Reality
    : : and so on...
    : : I have so much music that I can't keep up with it anymore. This is a project of mine to backup all of my music but you can only fit so much on one DVD in a lossless compressed format ,so keeping up with whats on what is the big problem if I need to uncompress some album or convert to mp3.
    : OK, I think I see what you want to do. I would do it this way (assuming that D: is your DVD drive).
    : First call FindFirstFile("*.*",&data). This will give you the first file or directory found at the root. Others will be given by calls to FindNextFile(). Each directory found at the root is then an artist name, according to what you wrote. For each artist, call FindFirstFile("D:\ARTIST_NAME\*.*",&data) and then FindNextFile(). This will give you the albums of this artist.
    : Note that you can check whether the file found is a real file or a directory by testing one of the field in the structure "data", in fact the field containing the file attributes.
    :
    : Is this what you want?
    :
    :
    [green]
    Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't realize findfirstfile() was capable of that. Thank you for pointing that out. Now it's off to programming the thing. :-)
    [/green]

• : : : : : [green]
    : : : : : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : : : : : [/green]
    : : : : :
    : : : : I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    : : : : Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)
    : : : : Steph
    : : : [green]
    : : : It is not the files I am interested in. It is the directory information. I just want to catalogue the information to a text file. For instance, D: being my DVD drive and D:Black SabbathParanoid being the artist+album, I want to put this info into a text file like below.
    : : : Black Sabbath
    : : : -------------
    : : : (Disk 1) Paranoid
    : : : (Disk 15) Master Of Reality
    : : : and so on...
    : : : I have so much music that I can't keep up with it anymore. This is a project of mine to backup all of my music but you can only fit so much on one DVD in a lossless compressed format ,so keeping up with whats on what is the big problem if I need to uncompress some album or convert to mp3.
    : : OK, I think I see what you want to do. I would do it this way (assuming that D: is your DVD drive).
    : : First call FindFirstFile("*.*",&data). This will give you the first file or directory found at the root. Others will be given by calls to FindNextFile(). Each directory found at the root is then an artist name, according to what you wrote. For each artist, call FindFirstFile("D:\ARTIST_NAME\*.*",&data) and then FindNextFile(). This will give you the albums of this artist.
    : : Note that you can check whether the file found is a real file or a directory by testing one of the field in the structure "data", in fact the field containing the file attributes.
    : : Is this what you want?
    : [green]
    : Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't realize findfirstfile() was capable of that. Thank you for pointing that out. Now it's off to programming the thing. :-)
    :
    :

my only contribution would be that I think findfirst(), findnext(), and the associate structs are in a header file could that is usually include via including
  • : : : : : : [green]
    : : : : : : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : : : : : : [/green]
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    : : : : : Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)
    : : : : : Steph
    : : : : [green]
    : : : : It is not the files I am interested in. It is the directory information. I just want to catalogue the information to a text file. For instance, D: being my DVD drive and D:Black SabbathParanoid being the artist+album, I want to put this info into a text file like below.
    : : : : Black Sabbath
    : : : : -------------
    : : : : (Disk 1) Paranoid
    : : : : (Disk 15) Master Of Reality
    : : : : and so on...
    : : : : I have so much music that I can't keep up with it anymore. This is a project of mine to backup all of my music but you can only fit so much on one DVD in a lossless compressed format ,so keeping up with whats on what is the big problem if I need to uncompress some album or convert to mp3.
    : : : : [/green]
    : : : OK, I think I see what you want to do. I would do it this way (assuming that D: is your DVD drive).
    : : : First call FindFirstFile("*.*",&data). This will give you the first file or directory found at the root. Others will be given by calls to FindNextFile(). Each directory found at the root is then an artist name, according to what you wrote. For each artist, call FindFirstFile("D:\ARTIST_NAME\*.*",&data) and then FindNextFile(). This will give you the albums of this artist.
    : : : Note that you can check whether the file found is a real file or a directory by testing one of the field in the structure "data", in fact the field containing the file attributes.
    : : : Is this what you want?
    : : : Steph
    : : [green]
    : : Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't realize findfirstfile() was capable of that. Thank you for pointing that out. Now it's off to programming the thing. :-)
    :
    : my only contribution would be that I think findfirst(), findnext(), and the associate structs are in a header file could that is usually include via including
    :

FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() are win32 api functions.
    findfirst() and findnext() are dinosaurish dos functions.
  • : : : : : : : [green]
    : : : : : : : How would I, in windows that is, read the directory structure of a DVD drive and save that info to a text file? I have several DVDs that have albums on them by various artists and need to somehow sort the info to a text file with the disk number that they are located on. Any suggestions?
    : : : : : : : [/green]
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : I have never done that with a DVD, so perhaps my suggestion will look silly.
    : : : : : : Why don't you use the same functions you would call with files stored on a hard drive or a CD or a floppy? (I mean FindFirstFile() and so on)
    : : : : : : Steph
    : : : : : [green]
    : : : : : It is not the files I am interested in. It is the directory information. I just want to catalogue the information to a text file. For instance, D: being my DVD drive and D:Black SabbathParanoid being the artist+album, I want to put this info into a text file like below.
    : : : : : Black Sabbath
    : : : : : -------------
    : : : : : (Disk 1) Paranoid
    : : : : : (Disk 15) Master Of Reality
    : : : : : and so on...
    : : : : : I have so much music that I can't keep up with it anymore. This is a project of mine to backup all of my music but you can only fit so much on one DVD in a lossless compressed format ,so keeping up with whats on what is the big problem if I need to uncompress some album or convert to mp3.
    : : : : : [/green]
    : : : : OK, I think I see what you want to do. I would do it this way (assuming that D: is your DVD drive).
    : : : : First call FindFirstFile("*.*",&data). This will give you the first file or directory found at the root. Others will be given by calls to FindNextFile(). Each directory found at the root is then an artist name, according to what you wrote. For each artist, call FindFirstFile("D:\ARTIST_NAME\*.*",&data) and then FindNextFile(). This will give you the albums of this artist.
    : : : : Note that you can check whether the file found is a real file or a directory by testing one of the field in the structure "data", in fact the field containing the file attributes.
    : : : : Is this what you want?
    : : : : Steph
    : : : [green]
    : : : Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't realize findfirstfile() was capable of that. Thank you for pointing that out. Now it's off to programming the thing. :-)
    : : my only contribution would be that I think findfirst(), findnext(), and the associate structs are in a header file could that is usually include via including
    :
    :
    : FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() are win32 api functions.
    : findfirst() and findnext() are dinosaurish dos functions.
    :

I like dinosaurish programming.