Programatically sort a gridview

Hey all,

I'm trying to sort a gridview with the following code:

Protected Sub GridView1_Sorting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewSortEventArgs) Handles GridView1.Sorting

Dim dataView1 As New Data.DataView(dt)

dataView1.Sort = e.SortExpression & " ASC"

GridView1.DataSource = dataView1
GridView1.DataBind()
End Sub

.. but it is giving me errors that it can't find the column being sorted. (IndexOutOfRangeException) I am filling datatable "dt" with an oledbdataadapter and setting it as the datasource for the gridview. This works successfully.

However after I bind the gridview, it seems like the datatable is becoming empty.. thus the error i'm getting. Please help!! It must be some tiny stupid mistake I'm making.

Thanks,
Daniel

Comments

• Had the same problem, try this

Session("Source") = table

In the code where you create your source, and

Dim dt As DataTable = CType(Session("Source"), DataTable)

as the first line of code in your GridView1_Sorting.

Ole

: Hey all,
    :
    : I'm trying to sort a gridview with the following code:
    :
    :
    : Protected Sub GridView1_Sorting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewSortEventArgs) Handles GridView1.Sorting
    :
    : Dim dataView1 As New Data.DataView(dt)
    :
    :
    : dataView1.Sort = e.SortExpression & " ASC"
    :
    : GridView1.DataSource = dataView1
    : GridView1.DataBind()
    : End Sub
    :
    :
    : .. but it is giving me errors that it can't find the column being sorted. (IndexOutOfRangeException) I am filling datatable "dt" with an oledbdataadapter and setting it as the datasource for the gridview. This works successfully.
    :
    : However after I bind the gridview, it seems like the datatable is becoming empty.. thus the error i'm getting. Please help!! It must be some tiny stupid mistake I'm making.
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Daniel
    :
    :
    :
    :