Multitasking Microcontroller

I have to design an 8-bit microcontroller with multitasking. i have to do this in VHDL and implement it on an FPGA.
If anyone can help me in any way .... please reply.

Brennan

Comments

• Use interrupts to simulate the multitasking and don't forget that the multitaskting is taken care of by a program not the hardware.

• : Use interrupts to simulate the multitasking and don't forget that the multitaskting is taken care of by a program not the hardware.
    :
    :

Thank you for the above advice. But I would be designing my own microcontroller, so I want the hardware to take care of the multitasking...............
    I have thought of designing the microcontroller in such a way that it automatically starts executing the 1st task then after a fixed time (determined by a count down timer)a task switch occurs. My microcontroller should thus be able to carry out multitasking without any actual Operating System.
  • If that is the case then you will need to add some extra registers (call them say task registers),then use a clock (as you say that will interrupt the microcontroller at specific intervall of time (say 10 milliseconds).The microcontroller will then switch from one task to the other.
    I can help you with the design.It is difficult to be nore explicit here.