run in another computer

Good morning;
I'm a spanish beginner with programming, and have made my first proyect using VisualBasic.2003, and MSDE2000.
It's an app for an association where I belong to.
For this purpouse, I bought a notepad where I made the solution, and works fine.
I congratulate myself because of this.
The trouble is that I'm a self-teacher pupil so my knowledge became from internet, e-books, forums, etc. and don't know the way for being able to run this program in my other computer.
Could anybody tell me where can I find information (but step by step, with arrows, ...) about it?
I've tried adding a new project for the setup, and creating a debug folder with an .msi file, but when I try to run it, the computer answer something like : "SQL server doesn't exist or not...."
Evrything I've read says that I just need the .NET Framework 1.1 (because of VS.2003) and nothing else in the computer where I want to run the app.
Thanks in advance (and sorry if it is any mistake in my translation)

Comments

• : Good morning;
    : I'm a spanish beginner with programming, and have made my first proyect using VisualBasic.2003, and MSDE2000.
    : It's an app for an association where I belong to.
    : For this purpouse, I bought a notepad where I made the solution, and works fine.
    : I congratulate myself because of this.
    : The trouble is that I'm a self-teacher pupil so my knowledge became from internet, e-books, forums, etc. and don't know the way for being able to run this program in my other computer.
    : Could anybody tell me where can I find information (but step by step, with arrows, ...) about it?
    : I've tried adding a new project for the setup, and creating a debug folder with an .msi file, but when I try to run it, the computer answer something like : "SQL server doesn't exist or not...."
    : Evrything I've read says that I just need the .NET Framework 1.1 (because of VS.2003) and nothing else in the computer where I want to run the app.
    : Thanks in advance (and sorry if it is any mistake in my translation)
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Hi,
    you need .NET Framework installed on target computer to run your exe file. Copying your program to that computer without setup wizard should be enough.
    Problem is with MSDE, resp. SQL server. If you're connecting to that database during runtime, you need MSDE (or other) SQL server installed on your current computer.. Orelse SqlConnectionString in form SOURCE=./LOCALHOST/MSDE or how it is does not work, becouse there's no MSDE on localhost..

Solutions:
    1) Install MSDE on target computer (but I don't think that this is good idea)
    2) Change connection string to another computer with SQL, but this require that computer running when you want your app to run
    3) If your app does not require SQL access and share data with other users, do not use it. If it does, solution 2) will be suitable for you. But do not forget that MSDE allows only 1 user at time..

Hope this helps

[blue][b][italic][size=4]P[/size]avlin [size=4]II[/italic][/size][/b][/blue]

[purple]Don't take life too seriously anyway you won't escape alive from it![/purple]

• : : Good morning;
    : : I'm a spanish beginner with programming, and have made my first proyect using VisualBasic.2003, and MSDE2000.
    : : It's an app for an association where I belong to.
    : : For this purpouse, I bought a notepad where I made the solution, and works fine.
    : : I congratulate myself because of this.
    : : The trouble is that I'm a self-teacher pupil so my knowledge became from internet, e-books, forums, etc. and don't know the way for being able to run this program in my other computer.
    : : Could anybody tell me where can I find information (but step by step, with arrows, ...) about it?
    : : I've tried adding a new project for the setup, and creating a debug folder with an .msi file, but when I try to run it, the computer answer something like : "SQL server doesn't exist or not...."
    : : Evrything I've read says that I just need the .NET Framework 1.1 (because of VS.2003) and nothing else in the computer where I want to run the app.
    : : Thanks in advance (and sorry if it is any mistake in my translation)
    : :
    : Hi,
    : you need .NET Framework installed on target computer to run your exe file. Copying your program to that computer without setup wizard should be enough.
    : Problem is with MSDE, resp. SQL server. If you're connecting to that database during runtime, you need MSDE (or other) SQL server installed on your current computer.. Orelse SqlConnectionString in form SOURCE=./LOCALHOST/MSDE or how it is does not work, becouse there's no MSDE on localhost..
    :
    : Solutions:
    : 1) Install MSDE on target computer (but I don't think that this is good idea)
    : 2) Change connection string to another computer with SQL, but this require that computer running when you want your app to run
    : 3) If your app does not require SQL access and share data with other users, do not use it. If it does, solution 2) will be suitable for you. But do not forget that MSDE allows only 1 user at time..
    :
    : Hope this helps
    :
    :
    :
    : [blue][b][italic][size=4]P[/size]avlin [size=4]II[/italic][/size][/b][/blue]
    :
    : [purple]Don't take life too seriously anyway you won't escape alive from it![/purple]
    :
    :
    : Hi again;
    I've installed .NET Framework in the target computer, but when you say "copying your program without setup wizard",
    Do you mean just drop and drag the .msi file?
    I've done this, but it generate the installation itself when I click on.
    I have no .exe file
    What am I making wrong?
    Thanks.

• : : : Good morning;
    : : : I'm a spanish beginner with programming, and have made my first proyect using VisualBasic.2003, and MSDE2000.
    : : : It's an app for an association where I belong to.
    : : : For this purpouse, I bought a notepad where I made the solution, and works fine.
    : : : I congratulate myself because of this.
    : : : The trouble is that I'm a self-teacher pupil so my knowledge became from internet, e-books, forums, etc. and don't know the way for being able to run this program in my other computer.
    : : : Could anybody tell me where can I find information (but step by step, with arrows, ...) about it?
    : : : I've tried adding a new project for the setup, and creating a debug folder with an .msi file, but when I try to run it, the computer answer something like : "SQL server doesn't exist or not...."
    : : : Evrything I've read says that I just need the .NET Framework 1.1 (because of VS.2003) and nothing else in the computer where I want to run the app.
    : : : Thanks in advance (and sorry if it is any mistake in my translation)
    : : :
    : : Hi,
    : : you need .NET Framework installed on target computer to run your exe file. Copying your program to that computer without setup wizard should be enough.
    : : Problem is with MSDE, resp. SQL server. If you're connecting to that database during runtime, you need MSDE (or other) SQL server installed on your current computer.. Orelse SqlConnectionString in form SOURCE=./LOCALHOST/MSDE or how it is does not work, becouse there's no MSDE on localhost..
    : : Solutions:
    : : 1) Install MSDE on target computer (but I don't think that this is good idea)
    : : 2) Change connection string to another computer with SQL, but this require that computer running when you want your app to run
    : : 3) If your app does not require SQL access and share data with other users, do not use it. If it does, solution 2) will be suitable for you. But do not forget that MSDE allows only 1 user at time..
    : : Hope this helps
    : : [blue][b][italic][size=4]P[/size]avlin [size=4]II[/italic][/size][/b][/blue]
    : : [purple]Don't take life too seriously anyway you won't escape alive from it![/purple]
    : : Hi again;
    : I've installed .NET Framework in the target computer, but when you say "copying your program without setup wizard",
    : Do you mean just drop and drag the .msi file?
    : I've done this, but it generate the installation itself when I click on.
    : I have no .exe file
    : What am I making wrong?
    : Thanks.
    :
    :

If you look in the Bin directory of your main project, and not the deployment project you should see the assemblies required for your app. As Palvin said it sounds like your MSI is trying to connect to a SQL server... Or maybe you have just added a launch condition to your deployment project for SQL by accident. Right click on the deployment project in your solution explorer and view>launch conditions, see if there are entries for SQL or MDAC. Or just try coping the binaries from the main projects bin dir.

~rlc