Easy Question

I am talking a computer Science course at my school. The teacher is not really up on his coding and I have a question. If I am inputing a password with cin, or gets() how can I make it so that it doesn't display the password as the user types it.

THanks,

Andrew.

Please email responses as well.

Comments

• You can use (from conio.h) getpass, like this:

char *input = getpass("Enter your password: ");

That isn't standard though, if I am correct. Or you can write your own getpassword function like this (using both stdio.h and conio.h):

char *getpassword(char filler,unsigned int maxlen) {

char *input = new char[maxlen];

char ch;

unsigned int a;

for(a=0; a<maxlen && (ch=getch())!=13; a++) {

input[a] = (unsigned int) ch;

printf("*");

}

input[a] = '';

printf("
    ");

return input;

}

You can use that like this:

void main(void) {

char *password = getpassword('*',100);

printf("You entered %s.",password);

}

Does that help? :)

• Replace the printf("*") with printf("%c",filler); to make it work right :)

• Thanks, I need to find a way to do it easily....I don't have a maxlen. It could be 33 or 2

I don't know

• : Thanks, I need to find a way to do it easily....I don't have a maxlen. It could be 33 or 2

Well, one possible solution would be to modify Null and Void's second example to use malloc() and realloc() to handle arbitrary length passwords and return a pointer to the allocated memory (which you'll need to remember to free()), but realistically, it would probably be much simpler (as Null and Void's examples show) to set a reasonable maximum password length (say, 128) then just drop extra characters if the user enters something longer than that. I don't know about you, but none of my passwords are 128+ characters long. :-)

As a side note, on Un*x systems, getpass() is declared in "unistd.h". There isn't a "conio.h" header at all, as many people here seem to refer to. There isn't a getch(), either, unless you a) write it yourself using the select() or poll() system call, or b) use curses or ncurses or another terminal programming library that provides it.

(.piliq.)

• Yes, I knew that it wouldn't work in Unix or its derivitives, but I don't have the libraries or the system set up to make or run unix based programs, so I'm kind of ignorant in those cases :)

Every DOS/OS2/Unix program I make is very basic because of this :)

• : Yes, I knew that it wouldn't work in Unix or its derivitives, but I don't have the libraries or the

: system set up to make or run unix based programs, so I'm kind of ignorant in those cases :)

I figured you knew, but some people might not. They do now. :-)

: Every DOS/OS2/Unix program I make is very basic because of this :)

Nothing wrong with that: basic, text stream-oriented, standard-compliant C programming == portable. For fancy console stuff, look into the ncurses (or another curses-compatible) library. It's standard on Unix, but there are free implementations available for other OS's as well. I've played with it a little, and it's pretty easy. Functions are available for cursor movement, screen clearing, colors, etc. I think I remember a curses emulator or something for DJGPP, but I haven't used Windows or DOS in so long I don't remember.

(.piliq.)