What is XML good for?

Hi.
I've never used XML before. I think i got a clue about how to write it, but I don't know what is it good for. Would anyone generously tell me,please?.
Can I use it with C implementing Win32 API?
Thanks

Comments

• : Hi.
    : I've never used XML before. I think i got a clue about how to write
    : it, but I don't know what is it good for. Would anyone generously
    : tell me,please?.
    : Can I use it with C implementing Win32 API?
    : Thanks
    :
    XML is used for data storage, such as websites, program configuration, databases, etc. It is also used for server to server communication, because it is well defined.
    It is possible to define an XML to design your application GUI, but not the API itself. For reading and writing XML in your own Win32 programs, you can best import the MSXML.DLL library. That includes a large number of interfaces to define the various elements.
  • Do you mean, it tells the data how to show up? what do you mean by data storage?? does it mean that xml is kinda database manager??
    Sorry if I bugged you out with my questions, just wanna know :)
    Thanks
  • : Do you mean, it tells the data how to show up? what do you mean by
    : data storage?? does it mean that xml is kinda database manager??
    : Sorry if I bugged you out with my questions, just wanna know :)
    : Thanks
    :
    XML is a file structure which contains data and implies its structure. It doesn't manage data like a database program does.
    Here's an example:
    [code]
    oak

plastic

ash
    [/code]
    This single file could be part of a catalogus of a furniture shop. Using XSLT or CSS this can be shown on the shop's website. The cash-registers could also read this to determine the prices. As such it store the data for other programs to use.
    Another example of data storage is the OpenOffice documents. They store various data (creation time, author, etc.) into an xml document within the document itself.
    As a data storage, xml is comparable with any other file type (.doc, .xls, .txt), but they are more structured and can be more easily read by computers. Also they don't assume anything about the type of data. Here's another list of tables to demonstrate it:
    [code]
    Hello world

The history of Hello World
    Hello World in Basic
    Hello World in Pascal
    Hello World in C, C++, C#
    Hello World in Java

Algorithms

About the author
    String matching
    Sorting
    Graphs

[/code]
    As you might have guess this time the tag implies a table of content instead of a piece of furniture.

A true data manager safe guards unauthorized overwrites, concurrent editing, backups, restructuring of the data, etc. An xml file doesn't do that at all. It is simply a file of readable data.
  • Thanks alot, now I get your point.
    It answered some questions I had in my mind. :)....