Which one should i choose?

I want to be a game programmer for a career and, imparticular, I want to be a console game developer. I was wondering which language is the most widely used and overall best in most people's minds. I've heard that most console developers use anything from C to assembler to machine code, but i'm not sure.

Comments

• : I want to be a game programmer for a career and, imparticular, I want to be a console game developer. I was wondering which language is the most widely used and overall best in most people's minds. I've heard that most console developers use anything from C to assembler to machine code, but i'm not sure.

While old console games relied on assembly coding, most console games are now programmed in C/C++. You must be very good however because they need people who can fit their code into a small ammount of space. The author of the Allegro library (http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/) worked for Nintendo, just check out the root page.

-Xotor-

• : : I want to be a game programmer for a career and, imparticular, I want to be a console game developer. I was wondering which language is the most widely used and overall best in most people's minds. I've heard that most console developers use anything from C to assembler to machine code, but i'm not sure.

:

: While old console games relied on assembly coding, most console games are now programmed in C/C++. You must be very good however because they need people who can fit their code into a small ammount of space. The author of the Allegro library (http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/) worked for Nintendo, just check out the root page.

:

: -Xotor-

:

: Thanks Xotor, you kick ass man. Are you a game programmer? I see you answering a lot of game programming questions here. As far as C/C++ is considered though, what are the actual benefits

of using C over C++? From what i've learned of C++,(i haven't learned C because my school once offered it but then got rid of all computer classes for some stupid reason) you don't have to claim all the variables outside the functiions and don't have to worry about forgetting to close out /*.

• : Thanks Xotor, you kick ass man. Are you a game programmer? I see you answering a lot of game programming questions here. As far as C/C++ is considered though, what are the actual benefits

: of using C over C++? From what i've learned of C++,(i haven't learned C because my school once offered it but then got rid of all computer classes for some stupid reason) you don't have to claim all the variables outside the functiions and don't have to worry about forgetting to close out /*.

Usually you should learn C and then move onto C++. C++ uses objects which attach their data to the set of functions that use the data. It makes it neat and tidy. C++ code usually looks a lot cleaner than C code and is usually easier to use.

-Xotor-