software not open-source

Hi

If I build a server software in my Debian box, will it run on others Linux?

maybe it will need some libraries that aren't in the SO and show errors, right? maybe then I can add the libraries that I use into the executable while compiling?

My problem is:
I am building an application serverside that will run in windows and linux, it hasn't GUI, its just cmd type. I don't want it to have the source exposed, so I need to know how to let users use it in linux without having to expose my code.

THanks!
Joe

Comments

• : Hi
    :
    : If I build a server software in my Debian box, will it run on others
    : Linux?
    :
    : maybe it will need some libraries that aren't in the SO and show
    : errors, right? maybe then I can add the libraries that I use into
    : the executable while compiling?
    :
    : My problem is:
    : I am building an application serverside that will run in windows and
    : linux, it hasn't GUI, its just cmd type. I don't want it to have the
    : source exposed, so I need to know how to let users use it in linux
    : without having to expose my code.
    :
    : THanks!
    : Joe

If it compiles on a debian system (or any other linux system) it should compile on any other linux distro if all the requirements are met such as external dependencies (external libraries that your software depends on) as the usual compiler on linux and other unixes is gcc (which should compile the same code on different system the same (if that makes sense))

As a side not you should be familiar with dynamic and static linking with libraries which gcc can do. With static linking the code from external libraries are copied into your program (which makes your binary bigger) whereas dynamic linking is basically done when your program is executed (which means smaller binaries, the libraries can be updated without changing (recompiling) your program, and your program can benefit from any improvements in the underlying libraries without recompiling your program)

But beware, when using external libraries you are subjected to their licensing conditions, a gpl library requires that your program is open source whereas a lgpl license does not require open source. Make sure you read and licenses carefully.

------
    nugent