STARTING WITH ASSEMBLY

I had seen somewhere written in this forum
that learning assembly will help in understanding how computer works
.But will programming in assembly require any compiler like
programming in c++ requires either MSVC++ or dev c++ etc.If yes where
can i download it.I have pentium 3 so does it mean that i have to use x86 programming language.
And why is the assembly language processor dependent.And plzzz explain how does the assembly language vary with different processor like 8086,x86.....etc
[color=Red][u][b]Please correct me if i go wrong anywhere as far as the technical terms are concerned.[/b][/u][/color]
Thank You

Comments

• : I had seen somewhere written in this forum
    : that learning assembly will help in understanding how computer works
    : .But will programming in assembly require any compiler like
    : programming in c++ requires either MSVC++ or dev c++ etc.If yes
    : where
    : can i download it.I have pentium 3 so does it mean that i have to
    : use x86 programming language.
    : And why is the assembly language processor dependent.And plzzz
    : explain how does the assembly language vary with different processor
    : like 8086,x86.....etc
    : [color=Red][u][b]Please correct me if i go wrong anywhere as far as
    : the technical terms are concerned.[/b][/u][/color]
    : Thank You

[color=Blue]
    Most of the code is written for Intel processors. This is x86 assembler. There are few other different CPUs, like Motorola 68xxx or some processors with RISC architecture. They will have different assembly commands. I suggest you start with x86, because Pentium III is x86 CPU :-).

You asking how they are different? - This will probably, require to write a book here. So, just try to see the RISC command system (GOOGLE for it) and then see the Intel command system. Different hardware means different approach to code.

There are a lot of Assembler compilers on the web and most of them are free to use. Here are some of these: NASM, MASM, FASM. Also, there are some systems, which include development environment, like RosAsm. Google for stuff and you find a lot of Assmblers.

My personal recommendation is FASM, of course. A simple download, including code samples and the editor to write and compile code. Very fast and of high quality. Probably, most supported Assembler - author always adds features and bug fixes. The FASM download also includes the manual with language explanations and some code samples too. However, manual layout is not great - no big deal. There is also a link to a FASM forum on the FASM site - where you can ask (or search for) questions.
    [/color]
  • AsmGuru I have downloaded Fasm.Its in form of a zip file.In the file fasm.pdf it is written that fasm.exe is for making dos programmes while fasmw.exe is used for making GUI programming. I would like to start by making programmes which would run in dos mode . But how to execute the Fasm.exe.By
  • : AsmGuru I have downloaded Fasm.Its in form of a zip file.In the
    : file fasm.pdf it is written that fasm.exe is for making dos
    : programmes while fasmw.exe is used for making GUI programming. I
    : would like to start by making programmes which would run in dos
    : mode . But how to execute the Fasm.exe.By