DJGPP

While compiling a program through DJGPP I found following Problems....
Q1:HOW COULD I USE RHIDE,EMACS and Command Line TO COMPILE/RUN MY PROGRAMS.
Q2:By effort i got to compile a c program, "I got the warning: NEWLINE IS NOT PRESENT AT END or something like that"
"Is there any new way of writing programs in DJGPP?"
Q3:How to use graphics mode too?

Comments

• : Q1:HOW COULD I USE RHIDE,EMACS and Command Line TO COMPILE/RUN MY
    : PROGRAMS.

Im not sure about RHIDE or EMACS, but to use the command line just use the Windows command prompt.

: Q2:By effort i got to compile a c program, "I got the warning:
    : NEWLINE IS NOT PRESENT AT END or something like that"
    : "Is there any new way of writing programs in DJGPP?"

Your header files should have a newline character at the end of the files (Just hit the enter key at the end of the file). This is not new...You should do this in all compiliers.

: Q3:How to use graphics mode too?

The same way with all other compilers: Through the system API or a graphics library.
    [hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS Operating System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.brokenthorn.com]Website :: OS Development Series[rightbr][/link][/size]
  • Actually I found the way of programming using RHIDE, Now my question is that
    I m unable to write code in c++. iostream.h is not present in include folder.?

I AM SEARCHING ALL THIS BECAUSE IN YOUR TUTORIAL 1(http://www.brokenthorn.com/Resources/OSDev1.html) OF OS DEVELOPMENT, MR. MIKE KRYPTER HAS SPECIFIED THAT USING DJGPP FOR C/C++ AND NASM FOR ASSEMBLY, WILL BE THE BETTER CHOICE.

I AM LEARNING ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE TOO...

SO PLZ HELP ME BY GIVING ME ADVICE USING NASM AND DJGPP FOR OS DEVELOPMENT.
  • Ah, ok.

I actually *just* updated that one last night as I have been using MSVC++ for the series alot more then the other ones :P

Anyways, there is no tool that is better then another--as long as it can produce operating system code, then it does not matter.

: I m unable to write code in c++. iostream.h is not present in
    : include folder.?

If you want to use DJGPP and it is unable to find iostream, look here:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq8_3.html

: I AM LEARNING ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE TOO...
    :
    : SO PLZ HELP ME BY GIVING ME ADVICE USING NASM AND DJGPP FOR OS
    : DEVELOPMENT.

What do you want to know about NASM?

---

I can help you set up the envirement so that you can use DJGPP if you wish to stick with it.

[hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS Operating System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.brokenthorn.com]Website :: OS Development Series[rightbr][/link][/size]
  • : I actually *just* updated that one last night as I have been using
    : MSVC++ for the series alot more then the other ones

re: But in your 1st tutorial you specified that VC++ will not be the better option for system programming, or something like that.....

: Anyways, there is no tool that is better then another--as long as it
    can produce operating system code, then it does not matter.

re: What about Turbo C++ 3.0 or is there any latest version turbo c++? Borland command line tool is not having the support of Graphics.h

: If you want to use DJGPP and it is unable to find iostream, look
    : here:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq8_3.html

re: In the above link it is specified that:
    All C++ include files are packaged as part of the "GNU C++ compiler distribution zip file", this double cotted link creates loading error....
    And i am not getting the funda of making capital or small...SORRY

: What do you want to know about NASM?
    :
    : ---As I told you that I am learning ASM lang., and on most of the books supports TASM or MASM. I am referring
    "Microprocessor X86 Programming" by K.R.Venugopal and Raj Kumar
    which supports TASM.
    Q:Will the NASM supports the Code written considering TASM.
    Q:I am not clear with Assembling Procedure, whats debugging and linking and all this....
    I am using TASM 5.0, in which I have to pass through Tasm Debugger n TLINK and all like that?
    Q: I am Using NASMIDE which looks similar to the Turbo C++3.0 IDE
    But it needs to set the location in ASM OPTION. How could I use? And I am not Understanding the advantage of using NASM(The reason might be.....I am beginner)
    :
    : I can help you set up the envirement so that you can use DJGPP if
    : you wish to stick with it.

re: Ok I'll use DJGPP for C/C++, In RHIDE editor. But it took tough in downloading & installing DJGPP. Anyways, plz, tell me the procedure of Installing DJGPP.

: [hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS
    : Operating
    : System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.brokenthorn.com]Website ::
    : OS Development Series[rightbr][/link][/size]
    :

• In DJGPP instead of there is allegro.h,
    Q: Will the functioning in allegro will be same as graphics.h?

• : re: But in your 1st tutorial you specified that VC++ will not be the
    : better option for system programming, or something like that.....

Where? If so I'll need to edit that out as there are no "better" options.

: re: What about Turbo C++ 3.0 or is there any latest version turbo c++?
    : Borland command line tool is not having the support of Graphics.h

Wait, are you looking to develop an operating system or application?

If operating system:

graphics.h (in fact, almost all of your compiliers libraries and the standard library) cannot be used in OS dev as they rely to much on an existing operating system.

If application:

graphics.h is a [b]non-standard[/b] header file developed by Borland for its BGI library for 16-bit software. Because of this, very few compiliers support it.

: Q:Will the NASM supports the Code written considering TASM.

For the most part, they are the same syntax. There are a few differences, but the language itself is the same so learning x86 assembly with TASM will work fine.

: Q:I am not clear with Assembling Procedure, whats debugging and linking
    : and all this....
    : I am using TASM 5.0, in which I have to pass through Tasm Debugger n
    : TLINK and all like that?

Yep. Are you asking what is debugging and linking? o.0

: Q: I am Using NASMIDE which looks similar to the Turbo C++3.0 IDE
    : But it needs to set the location in ASM OPTION. How could I use? And I am
    : not Understanding the advantage of using NASM(The reason might be

TASM and MASM can only produce 32 bit executables while NASM can produce both 32 bit executables and 16 bit flat binary programs. I only use NASM in boot loaders as they are 16 bit flat binary programs.

: re: Ok I'll use DJGPP for C/C++, In RHIDE editor. But it took tough in
    : downloading & installing DJGPP. Anyways, plz, tell me the procedure of
    : Installing DJGPP.

Have you already downloaded DJGPP?

: In DJGPP instead of there is allegro.h,
    : Q: Will the functioning in allegro will be same as graphics.h?

Neither of those will work for OS development.

For applications, I am not sure. I never used allegro.h (It's a non standard header, just like graphics.h--both are non portable)

-----

On another question, How much experience do you have with C or C++?

• :
    : On another question, How much experience do you have with C or C++?
    :
    :re:

Okay, I am just college student from CS branch, doing B.E. I am in third year(5th Sem) and my First intro with C/C++ was taken up in my 2nd SEM.
    Now C/C++ is not in my Syllabus, but their apps.
    Idea of Creating an OS makes me to decide, to learn C/C++ in detail...and your tutorials made me confident for that..!
    So, I can say...I am still learning C/C++ with a desire of Creating an OS.
    And I think I could make it......I'll do hard with C and Assembly both.

There is no faculty for Assembly language in my College as A.L. is not in Syllabus.
    On asking to other faculties I found 0% intrest from there side.

Regarding C/C++, I still found difficulty in the following topics.....
    1)File Handling
    2)Union, Enumeration (structure is clear to me){Not read before}
    3)namespaces{Not read before}
    4)preprocessor handling{Not read before}
    5)Inheritance
    6)Bitwise access{Not read before}
    and few may left, the above 6 topic are difficult for me!

C/C++ has many headers with many function and Objects. I think it is difficult for any teacher to cover all these...........

[b]Can I take ur Personal Email ID to share my Doubts with you....My name is Vinay Kumar Khare from Bhopal,India[/b]

• : Wait, are you looking to develop an operating system or application?
    : re: Obbviously an OS, I don't know what I need for its development.
    I was thinking its utility in creating GUI Environ.
    Sorry.............

: Yep. Are you asking what is debugging and linking? o.0
    : re: Partially yes........

: Have you already downloaded DJGPP?
    : re : Yes I do, and the details regarding downloading is given in the thread named Using DJGPP environment(I am activating it!).......you just refer to that thread you will know, what I download!

• : re: Obbviously an OS, I don't know what I need for its development.
    : I was thinking its utility in creating GUI Environ.
    : Sorry.............

No worries :) We all have to start somewhere ;)

: : Yep. Are you asking what is debugging and linking? o.0
    : : re: Partially yes........

Debugging is the process of removing bugs (runtime errors) in a program. This is usually done with a debugger program. They allow you to step through your code, watch memory and variables, and alot of other useful things.

Technically no debuggers will work in an unhosted envirement (One without an OS), however there may be some emulators with some utilities that may help debugging (Bochs log outputs, for example)

As for linking, that will be a very important topic if you want to get into OS development, as well as understanding all of the options that your linker (and compiler!) can do. You should understand exactly what the linker does.

: : Have you already downloaded DJGPP?
    : : re : Yes I do, and the details regarding downloading is given in the thread named Using DJGPP environment(I am activating it!).......you just refer to that thread you will know, what I download!

Im going to check that now.

Im currently at work right now so cannot go around searching for tutorials or links to help you out at the moment.

Debugging and Linking are basic stages to the C++ build cycle. ie; after the preprocessing and compiling stage is the linking stage. Search Google (or similar) for them--they are very important to know.

• : [b]Can I take ur Personal Email ID to share my Doubts with you....My
    : name is Vinay Kumar Khare from Bhopal,India[/b]

Its in the tutorials ^^
  • : Im currently at work right now so cannot go around searching for
    : tutorials or links to help you out at the moment.
    : re :) No worries, I can undrstand!

: Debugging and Linking are basic stages to the C++ build cycle. ie;
    : after the preprocessing and compiling stage is the linking stage.
    : Search Google (or similar) for them--they are very important to know.
    : re :)Ok, I got basics for preprocessing, compiling and linking...Now i am going to search in deep...

Thank you....n I wish you will remain in touch!