VB .NET 2005 Windows Service

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
I have not done a Windows service before, much less in VB, but I figure for my purposes, it will do. I want to create a Windows service that will capture all keystrokes including extended keys into a file at a location I specify. I have concerns that the younger fellow I let use my laptop is using it on sites known for malware, and I need to know. He doesn't do any chatting or email, so I am not worried about privacy concerns.

I do not wish to use a keylogger or software for this purpose because I do not want ANYBODY else seeing whatever gets logged. I cannot trust the freeware software, and the pay software is way too expensive, especially if I wind up being wrong. Either way, I program, so this will be a learning experience for me.

Still, I am not sure where to begin. I can create a service project in VS2005, but then what? How do I capture input? I know how to open a file and log to it, but I am not sure how to intercept or hook all keyboard input. Thanks in advance for any help.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    So is this not a possibility with VB .NET? I know how to hook keyboard input with C++, but I am not sure how to write a service in C++. I would prefer to do this with VB .NET, but I don't know if it is possible.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]