[help]which pro is more popular in USA&Canada? Which should I learn?

[help]which pro is more popular in USA&Canada? Which should I learn?
hi,
I'm a rookie of program. My major is not computer. I ever work in some software company, and I found I must learn some language asap.
I fell puzzled, C++ Java .net, they're important.
But as a beginner which should I learn, I found there're some lessons and tranning all about Java and .net, but there is no C/C++ lesson.

I wish I could do C++ later. some programmer told me that I can learn Java at first, and then, after tranning, when I find another job, I may learn some C++ after that. Hope I could become a experiened guy.
Besides I wanna work in the USA and Canada in the future.

so my question is
1, Which tranning cause should I learn now. (Java .net C++)
2, Which program language is more popular in America?Canada.

thanks a lot~

PS I've asked a education tranning company, their java course about 5 months, .net tranning about 3.5 months

Comments

• You should decide what kind of programming you want to do. If you want to do desktop and web programming, learn Java or C# together with some web stuff and databases. If you want to make games and 3D programs, learn C++ and DirectX or OpenGL. If you want to do embedded-, realtime and hardware-related programming, learn C, C++ and some assembler. Learning assembler is a good idea no matter what programming you are doing.

I would avoid VB and Delphi/Pascal, since those don't languages probably don't have much of a future.

A degree helps to get a job, but you should especially have in mind that a professional programmer needs at least 3 years of work experience before they can do decent programs. Even more before they can make good programs. If someone tells you they learnt for example C++ in a month, they learned the syntax only. That isn't a big deal, the main thing to learn is how to structure your programs, making them stable and easy to maintain.
  • ok, thanks alot.
    Then which language is more popular in America and Canada?
    C++,Java or .net.
    I'm really wanna do C++ after some years experience.
    Cause I love that, thank u.
  • Programming languages are universal, you pick one for the task you are about to do. They are all suitable for different things.
  • : [help]which pro is more popular in USA&Canada? Which should I learn?

: Besides I wanna work in the USA and Canada in the future.
    :
    If you want to get through US immigration it helps to have a skill that an American company can't find with an American worker.

So what I would do is start with one of the major languages like C, Java, .net to get your general programming skills up. Then learn something oddball like Lisp or Ada or Fortran 77. Then apply for jobs in that language to US companies - there won't be many of them, but there won't be much competition either.
  • And there will be even less jobs in the future... those last 3 are all dying languages.
  • : [help]which pro is more popular in USA&Canada? Which should I learn?
    : hi,
    : I'm a rookie of program. My major is not computer. I ever work in
    : some software company, and I found I must learn some language asap.
    : I fell puzzled, C++ Java .net, they're important.
    : But as a beginner which should I learn, I found there're some
    : lessons and tranning all about Java and .net, but there is no C/C++
    : lesson.
    :
    : I wish I could do C++ later. some programmer told me that I can
    : learn Java at first, and then, after tranning, when I find another
    : job, I may learn some C++ after that. Hope I could become a
    : experiened guy.
    : Besides I wanna work in the USA and Canada in the future.
    :
    : so my question is
    : 1, Which tranning cause should I learn now. (Java .net C++)
    : 2, Which program language is more popular in America?Canada.
    :
    : thanks a lot~
    :
    : PS I've asked a education tranning company, their java course about
    : 5 months, .net tranning about 3.5 months
    :

In my opinion, C++ is the language to learn. Just about every person in the Comp Sci field will probably agree.

If I remember correctly Java follows C++ conventions heavily, and PHP shares much with C (which is, in effect, encapsulated within C++) (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm more than a bit rusty on my languages).

In reality, once you know one language you can learn most anything else without much grief. And any skills are better than none.

However, let me ask you, are you a capable self-learner? There are HUGE amounts of information on the Internet for free about any language you could wish to learn. I'd suggest at least considering that option before you pay for classes; or doing both a class and independent study simultaneously.

If your desire is to market yourself as something unique, you'll need to consider a more specific skill set.

What is your ultimate goal in learning to program? Where do you want to work, what do you see yourself doing?
  • As per my experience C++, Java and .net are the good languages to learn for beginners.
  • I'd say that C++ is far from beginner-friendly. Too many oddities and weird syntax, especially when it comes to class heritage. Java is cleaner and more logical, and since it has very similar syntax to C++, I'd start with Java if I just wanted a beginner-friendly language.

C++.net comes with non-standard runtime junk, so I'd stay away from using any of the .net features when learning C++.

C# is more or less the same thing as Java. VB.net is crap.