"Trim" and "Left" stopped working ("Can't find project or library")

We have a database which was created using Access 2002.

It was then updated on someone else's computer, who has a more recent version of Access.

When I try to use it on my computer, I get "database is in an unrecognizable format."

So I converted it to 2002 format, using Tools | Database | Convert Database.

Now it gets past the error, above, but fails on "Trim" and "Left" commands, with the error Cant find project or library.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• : We have a database which was created using Access 2002.
    :
    : It was then updated on someone else's computer, who has a more recent version of Access.
    :
    : When I try to use it on my computer, I get "database is in an unrecognizable format."
    :
    : So I converted it to 2002 format, using Tools | Database | Convert Database.
    :
    : Now it gets past the error, above, but fails on "Trim" and "Left" commands, with the error Cant find project or library.
    :
    : Any suggestions?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

I'm affraid I don't know about VB in Access, but you could check if the Library Reference to the VB runtime is included, and if that doesn't work, do other VB library functions work? You could also try Trim$ and Left$.

Best Regards,
    Richard

The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry

• : : We have a database which was created using Access 2002.
    : :
    : : It was then updated on someone else's computer, who has a more recent version of Access.
    : : When I try to use it on my computer, I get "database is in an unrecognizable format."
    : : So I converted it to 2002 format, using Tools | Database | Convert Database.
    : : Now it gets past the error, above, but fails on "Trim" and "Left" commands, with the error Cant find project or library.
    : : Any suggestions?
    : : Thanks.
    :
    : I'm affraid I don't know about VB in Access, but you could check if the Library Reference to the VB runtime is included, and if that doesn't work, do other VB library functions work? You could also try Trim$ and Left$.
    :
    : Best Regards,
    : Richard
    :
    : The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry
    :
    :
    Not sure because worked with Access ages ago. There was something like that On the Tools --> Database Utilities --> Compact and Repair Database.

: : It was then updated on someone else's computer, who has a more recent version of Access.
    : : When I try to use it on my computer, I get "database is in an unrecognizable format."
    : : So I converted it to 2002 format, using Tools | Database | Convert Database.
    : : Now it gets past the error, above, but fails on "Trim" and "Left" commands, with the error Cant find project or library.
    :
    : I'm affraid I don't know about VB in Access, but you could check if the Library Reference to the VB runtime is included, and if that doesn't work, do other VB library functions work? You could also try Trim$ and Left$.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Thanks. I agree with you on this. Looks like MS Access on my computer no longer recognizes "Trim" and "Left" as built-in functions, and is indeed looking for an external library. Will research further along these lines. Trim$ and Left$ generate same error message.
  • Strangely. I have the same problem. Though the interesting part is that I did not have problems with trim, left, mid when you create a new database. And if I open the same database file with access 2002 the problem goes away. So it seems it is some how stored in the database itself, and a bad interaction with 2007, oh historical information - database was originally created and upgraded from office 97.

Though upgrading the database file up to 2007 does not change the reaction in any way. Though adding text together via & work just fine as well as all the other functions (tried strreverse and a few others).

I would hate to have to recreate the database to a new file just to get rid of this error.

Oh one last note. I just tried opening the file in both xp and 2007 at the same time and I get what I want in xp but get #name? in 2007 now instead of #error.

: : : We have a database which was created using Access 2002.
    : : :
    : : : It was then updated on someone else's computer, who has a more recent version of Access.
    : : : When I try to use it on my computer, I get "database is in an unrecognizable format."
    : : : So I converted it to 2002 format, using Tools | Database | Convert Database.
    : : : Now it gets past the error, above, but fails on "Trim" and "Left" commands, with the error Cant find project or library.
    : : : Any suggestions?
    : : : Thanks.
    : : I'm affraid I don't know about VB in Access, but you could check if the Library Reference to the VB runtime is included, and if that doesn't work, do other VB library functions work? You could also try Trim$ and Left$.
    : : Best Regards,
    : : Richard
    : : The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry
    : Thanks. I agree with you on this. Looks like MS Access on my
    : computer no longer recognizes "Trim" and "Left" as built-in
    : functions, and is indeed looking for an external library. Will
    : research further along these lines. Trim$ and Left$ generate same
    : error message.
    :

• Here's what I believe is the problem. When the database was converted to a later version, it also changed a reference to at least one DLL -- probably the Microsoft Office object library. When you converted it back to the earlier version, the reference was not changed, so it is looking for the later version that doesn't exist on that machine.

You need to go back and fix the Reference in the VBA editor.

Mike

: Strangely. I have the same problem. Though the interesting part is
    : that I did not have problems with trim, left, mid when you create a
    : new database. And if I open the same database file with access 2002
    : the problem goes away. So it seems it is some how stored in the
    : database itself, and a bad interaction with 2007, oh historical
    : information - database was originally created and upgraded from
    : office 97.
    :
    : Though upgrading the database file up to 2007 does not change the
    : reaction in any way. Though adding text together via & work just
    : fine as well as all the other functions (tried strreverse and a few
    : others).
    :
    : I would hate to have to recreate the database to a new file just to
    : get rid of this error.
    :
    : Oh one last note. I just tried opening the file in both xp and 2007
    : at the same time and I get what I want in xp but get #name? in 2007
    : now instead of #error.
    :
    : : : : We have a database which was created using Access 2002.
    : : : :
    : : : : It was then updated on someone else's computer, who has a more recent version of Access.
    : : : : When I try to use it on my computer, I get "database is in an unrecognizable format."
    : : : : So I converted it to 2002 format, using Tools | Database | Convert Database.
    : : : : Now it gets past the error, above, but fails on "Trim" and "Left" commands, with the error Cant find project or library.
    : : : : Any suggestions?
    : : : : Thanks.
    : : : I'm affraid I don't know about VB in Access, but you could check if the Library Reference to the VB runtime is included, and if that doesn't work, do other VB library functions work? You could also try Trim$ and Left$.
    : : : Best Regards,
    : : : Richard
    : : : The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry
    : : Thanks. I agree with you on this. Looks like MS Access on my
    : : computer no longer recognizes "Trim" and "Left" as built-in
    : : functions, and is indeed looking for an external library. Will
    : : research further along these lines. Trim$ and Left$ generate same
    : : error message.
    :
    :

• You shoul remove references that point to [color=Blue]missing[/color] references. For instance: in VB Studio 6 you should:
    1. Open you project
    2. Click Project > References
    3. In available References window, uncheck anything that reads MISSING in front of it

Good luck!
  • Hi

Alternately you can try prefixing with 'Strings.'

Strings.Trim
    Strings.Left

Cheers
    Shasur

: We have a database which was created using Access 2002.
    :
    : It was then updated on someone else's computer, who has a more
    : recent version of Access.
    :
    : When I try to use it on my computer, I get "database is in an
    : unrecognizable format."
    :
    : So I converted it to 2002 format, using Tools | Database | Convert
    : Database.
    :
    : Now it gets past the error, above, but fails on "Trim" and "Left"
    : commands, with the error Cant find project or library.
    :
    : Any suggestions?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

VBA Tips & Tricks ([link=http://vbadud.blogspot.com]http://vbadud.blogspot.com[/link])

C# Code Snippets ([link=http:dotnetdud.blogspot.com]http:dotnetdud.blogspot.com[/link])
    :
    : I'm affraid I don't know about VB in Access, but you could check if
    : the Library Reference to the VB runtime is included, and if that
    : doesn't work, do other VB library functions work? You could also try
    : Trim$ and Left$.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I had a similar issue, in the past when Trim, Mid etc stopped working in VB6 it was due to a Missing reference, reconnecting fixed it

This time, Access 2007 was installed on my PC and when I went to recompile a VB6 app, Trim stopped working ie "Can't find ...

I unchecked the Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library which had squirmed its was into my Project/References and the problem went away