sorting info from .txt file

Can anyone tell me how I can sort info from this log file? I am trying to match the player names locted in quotations with thier perspective IP located in paranthesis. I have many files in .log format which I need to go through. I have not been able to do this as a .log file or a .txt file.

Thanks in advance.

The nature of this question is that I want to be able to match the player names to the IP for behavioral purposes. I have enclosed a copy of one of the log files.

Comments

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USA
    There was no file included.

I can help you write code to do this, are you familiar with VB.Net coding? If you have already started trying to parse this file, please post up code you are having problems with. If you have not started parsing this file, please copy and past 10-20 lines of data out of it and put it up here.

I can show you how to open the file, parse through the data, explain how it works and how to reuse the data... Parsing standard data is pretty straightforward and tends to be 90% of my work.
  • 2009-02-16 18:09:50 TEAMS JOIN "peirats" player 11 team 1
    2009-02-16 18:09:50 JOIN SUCCESS "Rambo" player 12 machine 12 (99.191.138.82:2303) cdkey f52de09dccfe305ba622126f6be72fae
    2009-02-16 18:09:50 TEAMS JOIN "Rambo" player 12 team 0
    2009-02-16 18:09:51 JOIN SUCCESS "Brian" player 13 machine 13 (189.179.212.165:2303) cdkey 39ad22034962f4f907753ebe1a7e69a6
    2009-02-16 18:09:51 TEAMS JOIN "Brian" player 13 team 1
    2009-02-16 18:09:51 JOIN SUCCESS "GodsWrath" player 14 machine 14 (216.96.117.89:60048) cdkey 672da0ea432b274056aa9f6d858bf5bc
    2009-02-16 18:09:51 TEAMS JOIN "GodsWrath" player 14 team 0
    2009-02-16 18:10:12 GRIEF ADDED player 13 "Brian" DEMERITS 1
    2009-02-16 18:10:12 KILL "Brian" player 12 KILLED "David[Kets]" player 2
    2009-02-16 18:10:13 JOIN SUCCESS "Laura" player 15 machine 15 (190.186.82.54:2303) cdkey 85bfaee1268eb9c5de1938e93fdb5fc5
    2009-02-16 18:10:13 TEAMS JOIN "Laura" player 15 team 0
    2009-02-16 18:10:15 KILL "ICYHOT" player 5 KILLED "TIRO LOCO" player 4

This is an example from my log file... you can see the two fields in which I need. I just downloaded the VB Express 2008. Programmin is not my thing (yet). I do website and development.

So Ill be diving into this. The first project of mine is going to be something that is functional for me though, LOL. I really need to have this.

Thanks for the guidance.
    Ok being a nice guy, I will write you some simple code to parse a file and grab out variables. I can help you massage that code to work with your stuff, hopefully along the way you learn from what I have done.

Is this data tab delimited or just space delimited? Do you have access to change the way this log file is pumped out? Might be easier if you separate the data by commas. I am going to make the output file delimited by commas and call it a .csv so you can open it in excel.

I split each line down into pieces by "breaking" it on the space character. The String.Split() command will break a string into an array of string, its a very useful command when working with Log File data.

On the form I put one button and left it with the default name. I copied the data you gave me and pasted it to a text file named Test1.txt and put it in my C root directory. Then I told my subroutine to save it as a file called test2.csv (located in C root as well). You can open in Notepad, or preferably Excel.

If you copy and paste this code into a Form with 1 button (default name) it should work.

[code]
    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

parseFile("c: est1.txt", "c: est2.csv")

End Sub

Public Sub parseFile(ByVal FileName As String, ByVal NewFileName As String)
    'FileName = the file to be parsed
    'NewFileName is the new file with filtered results
    'We could filter the results and display them in
    'a view with windows controls if you wanted that instead

Dim FF As Integer = FreeFile() 'This returns an integer value to designate for file open and close
    Dim sLine As String = "" 'This is a temporary var to suck each line in
    Dim newFile As String = "" 'Holds the new file's data

Try 'Use a try-catch (exception handling) incase any errors occur
    FileOpen(FF, FileName, OpenMode.Input) 'Open FileName for reading

Do While Not EOF(FF) 'EOF returns a True or False based on if we hit the End of File
    sLine = LineInput(FF) 'This grabs the entire line into a string variable

Dim LineData() As String = sLine.Split(" ") 'This returns an array of strings tokenized by the space
    'LineData(0) should be the Date
    'LineData(1) should be the Time
    'LineData(2) should say TEAMS, JOIN, GRIEF, or KILL
    'LineData(3) should say JOIN, SUCCESS, ADDED, or a playername if it was KILL
    'LineData(4) should be a playername or the word player
    'You can see that the logic sort of branches here based on LineData(2)
    'So lets dig into this array and get our data out!
    'Firstly, we have to make sure LineData.Length > 1
    'and that isNothing(LineData) returns False so we don't error

If Not IsNothing(LineData) AndAlso LineData.Length > 1 Then
    Select Case Trim(LineData(2))
    'this is an advanced If statement basically
    'trim() removes spaces from the ends of string

'It seems to me that we are only interested in the case
    'where LineData(2) = JOIN so that is the only place
    'I will write code
    Case "TEAMS"
    'LineData(2) = TEAMS
    Case "JOIN"
    'LineData(2) = JOIN
    'we know LineData(4) will have playername here
    newFile &= LineData(4).Trim("""") 'This trims a " from the ends of a string.
    newFile &= "," & LineData(9).Trim("(").Trim(")") 'This trims a ( from both sides, then a ) from both sides
    newFile &= vbNewLine 'Creates a carrage return
    'Note that &= is like saying newFile = newFile & ","... etc
    Case "GRIEF"
    'LineData(2) = GRIEF
    Case "KILL"
    'LineData(2) = KILL
    End Select
    Else
    'Blank Line Do Nothing
    End If
    Loop
    Catch ex As Exception
    'Darn something happenned, this will give you some idea:
    MsgBox(ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly, "Error Occurred")
    Finally
    'The loop is done or an error occurred
    'Lets close that file in all cases (Finally gets called after the Try code and Catch code
    FileClose(FF)

End Try

FF = FreeFile() 'Reset FF incase the last value is no longer available to us

Try
    'This is in a seperate try block incase the last one errors
    'we can then atleast get out the data already parsed
    FileOpen(FF, NewFileName, OpenMode.Output) 'Open newFileName for output
    PrintLine(FF, newFile) 'easiest thing
    FileClose(FF)

Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox(ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly, "Error Occurred")
    End Try

MsgBox("Success!", MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly, "Yea, Praise be to Sean")
    End Sub
    [/code]

Happy Coding!!!
    Firesickle.com
  • This is the best ever, you helped me out immensly. LoL @ you saying "Being the nice guy that I am". Seriously though, It looks like I was on the right track with the way that I was thinking, just didn't quite have the knowledge to complete the task.
    I have taken your code and done as you stated, I tried to change it to suit my needs. When I started to debug, I got an error. Further investigation revealed that I had to set my windows preferences to display the windows file extensions (they WERE hidden) as suspected when I changed the file name to match what I needed I changed it to .txt hoping that it would parse the info. When it did not, I opened in excel to find out about the delimited data. It displays as a "square" character. So, I guess I am going to have to get the hex editior and try to find out what "char 20"? makes the square and then try to add that to your coding.
    I am learning alot here as you can see. Thanks to you. I will still have some further work to do. Once I can parse the info I am hoping to use PHP to taken the FOO.Txt or (Foo.log - even better) have the PHP call the file and display contents into the browser. This should be a great starting point for my little "DynamicAdminPanel.php"! We'll, See.

Thanks so much. I would have clarified about the parsing earlier, I completely disregarded the fact that what you see from me copy/pasting in the forum is not what you would see from the .log file off the app.

Cant wait to see the latest Post from ya! Thanks Etc !!!!!!
  • Just to keep you up to date on recent developments... I have currently hexed = Foo.log (the txt file I needed to filter). In doing so the string showed me the "Fields" were defined by a single period character.

Using this discovery, I imported said document into excel by means of Data/txt where I got prompted for delimited data. I selected the "other" option for character data, placed the period character in the box, followed the default prompts through execution, and excel currently is housing my file sorted correctly (for the most part).

Excel got everything right with exception to the IP field, it broke apart the IP over 4 columns with the last column containing the port number of the IP. i can only deduce that this was due to the nature fo having to use the period character on import. It seemingly "remarked" if you will the periods in the IP Field. If you recall from earlier the IP resides in ()'s and the name resides in ""'s.

So, if I can merge the broken up IP into one field and have it display correctly, I will be sitting pretty good. I'll post more as I progress.
    Awesome! Glad to see you are running with the code. If you need help with anything let me know.
  • OK, Unforunately Im back to asking or help again. I tried to change your above code to make it work and I just cant seem to get it right. What am I doing wrong? I know the CSV is not a comma it is something like chr(9) or (holding the "alt" key down and hitting number 9. I don'e see in the coding where I would be adding that. I tired a few things but met with array outside of index or some crap like that.

Stuck for now,
    Ryan

Ps, Im going to see if I can locate your email address so that I can send you an attachment of the foo.log file, I cant paste or upload anything here as it will only render invisible. Let me know if that is a problem
    If you click on my name (either from my post, or if u look up my name is listed under moderators) it will take you to my profile. On the right there is an "Email Seancampbell" link, that is a mailto: to my email address.

If each line is not seperated by spaces or commas, you can "split" the line on chr(9) putting chr(9) instead of " " in the split command:

Dim LineData() As String = sLine.Split(chr(9))

Send me the log file, maybe it is more involved then that.
    Final Solution:

requires:
    ListView1 (as ListView)
    (Listview has these settings:)
    ListView1.View = Details
    ListView1.FullRowSelect = True
    ListView1.GridLines = True
    ListView1.HideSelection = False

Button1 (as button) (.Text = "Open Log File")
    Button2 (as button) (.Text = "Save ListView as CSV")
    [code]
    Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    Dim FO As OpenFileDialog
    FO = New OpenFileDialog
    FO.Filter = "LOG files (*.log)|*.log|Text files (*.txt)|*.txt|All files (*.*)|*.*"

If FO.ShowDialog() = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
    parseFile(FO.FileName)
    End If
    End Sub

Public Sub parseFile(ByVal fileName As String)

Dim FF As Integer = FreeFile()
    Dim sLine As String = ""

'setup the listview for putting items into it.
    ListView1.Items.Clear()
    ListView1.Columns.Clear()
    ListView1.Columns.Add("JOIN Try")
    ListView1.Columns.Add("Player Name")
    ListView1.Columns.Add("Player IP")
    ListView1.Columns.Add("Player Port")
    ListView1.Columns.Add("Player CD Key")

Try
    FileOpen(FF, fileName, OpenMode.Input)

Do While Not EOF(FF)
    'I don't know why this line input line is breaking...
    'sLine = LineInput(FF)
    'So I commented it out and used Input(FileNumber, ObjectForDataToGoIn)
    '__________________________
    Input(FF, sLine)
    Dim lineData() As String = sLine.Split(Chr(9))

If Not IsNothing(lineData) AndAlso lineData.Length > 1 Then

Dim c As String = lineData(1) 'This is the command

Select Case c.ToUpper
    Case "OPEN"
    'This shows the file the log comes from
    'in lineData(2)
    Case "KILL"
    Case "GRIEF"
    Case "CHAT"
    Case "TEAMS"
    Case "QUIT"
    Case "JOIN"
    'If the command is JOIN then lets grab info and add
    'to the ListView

Dim xItem As New ListViewItem(lineData(2))
    xItem.SubItems.Add(lineData(3).Trim(""""))
    xItem.SubItems.Add(lineData(6).Trim("(").Trim(")").Split(":")(0))
    xItem.SubItems.Add(lineData(6).Trim("(").Trim(")").Split(":")(1))
    xItem.SubItems.Add(lineData(7).Substring(5).Trim(" "))
    ListView1.Items.Add(xItem)

Case "BAN"
    Case "SCORE"
    Case "PCR_TEAM"
    Case "PCR_PLAYER"
    Case "GAMEINFO"
    Case "RCON"
    Case "CLOSE"
    'This shows the file the log continues on
    'in lineData(2)
    End Select

End If
    Loop

Catch ex As Exception

Finally
    FileClose(FF)

End Try

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    Dim SF As SaveFileDialog
    SF = New SaveFileDialog
    SF.Filter = "CSV files (*.csv)|*.csv|All files (*.*)|*.*"

Dim FF As Integer = FreeFile()

If SF.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
    Try
    FileOpen(FF, SF.FileName, OpenMode.Output)

For i As Integer = 0 To ListView1.Items.Count - 1
    Dim fileLine As String = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(0).Text
    fileLine &= "," & ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(1).Text
    fileLine &= "," & ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(2).Text
    fileLine &= "," & ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(3).Text
    fileLine &= "," & ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(4).Text
    PrintLine(FF, fileLine)
    Next
    MsgBox("Success")
    Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox(ex.Message)
    Finally