Why is C++ hard to learn?

I am having a really hard time learning the syntax and logic of C++.When i read the material in the book, It just seems to go in one ear and straight out of the other. The examples in books and tutorials, don't really help me out a lot either. I'm not quite sure of what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone provide any feed back that would help make the learning curve easier. Thanks!

Comments

• Make a program. Come up with a program idea that is not too complex (best stay away from graphics for now), then try to create it. Once you run into a problem you don't know how to solve, look it up.
  • Having similar problems. Even if I understand something , I do not really know how to apply it. I am not sure how much you learned by now, but I did classes and objects and all but I never know when to use those things.

I'm having a really hard time, either. Sometimes I write those programs showed in the tutorials without even really understanding the code ( as you said, it seems to go in one ear and straight out of the other) which is a really unpleasant feeling.
  • Before Start learning C++, you should go with fundamentals of C language, first.

When you will become able to understand simple terminologies of C language...
    you will easily grasp the C++'s Object Oriented Methodology.

Practice C and C++, through console applications, at the beginning, not Win32 to equivalents of other OS.

When you feel sufficient in impleamenting algorithms via console apps. then move towards game programming or windows apps...and so on

My Suggestion,
    Refer [link=http://www.scribd.com/doc/2338140/Let-Us-C-Yashwant-Kanetkar]Let Us C[/link] for C fundamentals. It is a very good book for beginners.
    It suggests you to use TC++ 3.0 like old compiler first and then move towards VC++.
  • This post has been deleted.
  • Thanks for your feed back! I really appreciate it! It great to know that a person like yourself is willing to giving advice to a beginner like myself.
  • Thanks for the feed back!At least I know that I'm not alone at this difficult task. Which makes me feel a little better.As for programming experience, I'm in my first C++ class, and I'm so far behind. I have very little knowledge of everything to do with C++ (objects,pointers, inheritance, invalid exception, and etc.)Right now, I'm just back tracking through previous chapters and programming challenges.
  • I feel so much better that I'm not alone at this. I was feeling really retarded and having doubts in myself about learning C++. It's good(good, meaning that we both have something in common)to know that other people are struggling to learn it too.

Did you make that website you posted? I saw some hot Asian chick posing in her underwear and Nike shoes. I like it!! LOL..
  • C++ was never really intended as a beginner's language. It started off as an extended C, and then went in its own direction so that modern C++ looks nothing like C code. However backwards compatibility had to be kept. The result is a very bloated language with several different ways of achieving simple tasks, some failed experimental features, some odd syntax, and some features which are much more powerful than they look (templates are a Turing complete meta-language, for instance).