Q: A first chance exception error. Please review my code (me = newb)

Hello,

i've just started with vb.net, and when i run this little thingy i created i get the following error:

[italic]"A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll"[/italic]

The program works fine though.
I've read a bunch of articles about this error, and it turns out it's not that uncommon ([link=http://blogs.msdn.com/davidklinems/archive/2005/07/12/438061.aspx]link[/link]), but I'd really like to know what's causing it and if I can prevent it.

Here's my code

form1 code:

[code]Public Class Form1

Private gobank As Bankrekening

Public Sub New()

' This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.
InitializeComponent()

' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.
Initialize()

End Sub

Private Sub Initialize()

gobank = New Bankrekening()
TextBox1.Text = CInt(0)

Label3.Text = CInt(0)
Label4.Visible = False
Label7.Visible = False
Label8.Visible = False

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim rekeningsaldo As Integer

rekeningsaldo = TextBox1.Text

If RadioButton1.Checked = True Then
gobank.Storting(rekeningsaldo)
Label6.Text = "(+) Je hebt zonet " & CStr(rekeningsaldo) & "

Comments

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USA
    It helps to have the exact full error message it gives, usually there is a line number in there that you can go back to and know exactly what line is crashing (which usually gives you most of what you need to understand the error)...

Without more information, my first gut feeling is that this line is crashing:

rekeningsaldo = TextBox1.Text

Rekeningsaldo is an Integer, and you are trying to set an Integer equal to a String (TextBox1.Text). If the String value is not a number, then you will get an InvalidCastException and the software will crash... There are a few different solutions, none better than the other, but here is what I would do, replace your Button1_Click code with this:

[code]
    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim rekeningsaldo As Integer

If IsNumeric(TextBox1.Text.Trim()) Then '.Trim removes spaces from the beginning and end of the string

rekeningsaldo = CInt(TextBox1.Text.Trim())

If RadioButton1.Checked = True Then
    gobank.Storting(rekeningsaldo)
    Label6.Text = "(+) Je hebt zonet " & CStr(rekeningsaldo) & "
  • Yep, it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for the kind explanation and the funny msgbox :). Cheers!!