newbie: which language would be better to use?

I am looking to create a program similar to a digital calendar. I am somewhat familiar with both visual basic and c++. I am not sure which one would be easier for a newbie to create this type of program, or if it is even possible for a newbie to do. I have some medical things and would like to be able to track symptoms, look for patterns, estimate based on previous data when certain symptoms might occur again, track some medical data: ie blood pressure, pulse, temp, etc.have a place to add comments and be able to warn if certain symptoms occur too many times within a certain time frame. I would want it to be able to display averages of the medical data and have it update and display at bottom every day and have a spot next to it somewhere where the estimated data. And I would like it to include a graph section where you could view a specific symptom and have dot plotted on it indicating what the values were on every day data was input for last 30 days.Any input would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone knows where I could find such a program, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• I have a lot of experience with Visual Basic and only dabbled a bit with C++. Since no one else on the site (probably much better qualified) has provided you any feedback, I thought I'd give you my opinion, for what it's worth.

There is no question in my mind that Visual Basic would be much easier. While the constructs of C++ aren't significantly more difficult, everything about C++ is tougher.

The one caveat to my answer is that my experience with C++ is limited to pre-NET days. It may be simpler now, although I doubt it is as easy as Visual Basic. Another option you did not mention is C#. I believe the language is the same but much of the details are taken care of by the language/.NET framework. Along those same lines, perhaps C++ is also easier now under .NET than when I looked at it many years ago.

Regardless, while I may be off to some degree, I feel pretty confident when I tell you that Visual Basic or C# would be your easiest way to get what you want.

I have a question very similar to your's posted on this forum. Like you, no one has responded to my question. It would be great if someone with more experience would chime in on this. I thought that's what forum's like this were for.

Regards,
    SGDave