show menu items on application based on user rights

Hi all,i'm trying to show menu items based on user rights.. I'm using database to store the menu names and the user position like this

position menu
admin mnuUser
admin mnuEmployee

I named the ToolStripMenuItem items name to mnuxxxx.Suppose it was the admin who logged in,then the menu items like mnuUser,mnuEmployee will be visible..Else they won't be visible..I've created the menu items names based on the mnuxxxx ..How should i achieve it??Thanks a lot...

• Good day....i have never stored menu items in a database but what i usually do is create multiple forms that cater for each role and the menu you want them to have access to. when ever they log in, the form assigned to their role pops up.
    What do you think????
  • seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USA
    Handoyo, you mind posting a little bit more information about the solution you figured out?

I was going to write a post today about filtering the data and only putting subitems into the ListView that you needed to show, but if you found a way to hide line items I'd love to see that solution as I have no experience with it!!

Thanks in advance,
    Sean Campbell forum mod
  • Hi Sean,i found the solution at here

I use the codes that are posted by Snip..Here are the codes

Private Function SetMenuItem(ByVal name As String, ByVal enabled As Boolean)

Dim m As ToolStripMenuItem

m = Me.FindToolStripMenuItem(Me.MenuStrip1.Items, name)

If m IsNot Nothing Then

m.Enabled = enabled

Return True

Return False

End If

End Function

Private Function FindToolStripMenuItem(ByRef menus As ToolStripItemCollection, ByVal name As String) As ToolStripMenuItem

Dim found As Boolean = False

Dim t, temp As ToolStripMenuItem

t = menus(name)

If t Is Nothing Then

Dim i As Integer = 0

While Not found And i < menus.Count

If menus(i).GetType Is GetType(ToolStripMenuItem) Then

temp = menus(i)

t = Me.FindToolStripMenuItem(temp.DropDownItems, name)

found = (t IsNot Nothing)

End If

i += 1

End While

End If

Return t

End Function

But it was used to set ToolStripMenuItem.visible=true.. ^_^
  • seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USA
    Ohhhhh, I thought we were talking about a List View for some reason, dooooh. Thanks again for the information, good to have as much sample code floating around as possible ^_^

Take cAre,
    Sean Campbell -