What is MFC

I know that MFC stands fr Microsoft Foundation Classes, but what it is? How do I get it? Is it helpful for prgramming?

Comments

• : I know that MFC stands fr Microsoft Foundation Classes, but what it is? How do I get it? Is it helpful for prgramming?
    :

As I understand it MFC are objects that consists of blocks of code that performs a particular function in a Windows environment. These objects enable the programmer to create Windows programs more speedily by using an existing library.

Examples of these functions are classes that enables the user to exit from a dialog by clicking on an exit button or selecting a particular option from a list.

M Visual C++ contains the full library of Microsoft classes and an environment in which to build programs, as you view its gradual development.

• : I know that MFC stands fr Microsoft Foundation Classes, but what it is?

It's a C++ library for Windows programming.

: How do I get it?

By buying Microsoft Visual C++.

: Is it helpful for prgramming?

It is helpful for Windows programming. You can definitely whip together 'standard' Windows apps faster using MFC that by writing to the raw Win32 API, especially if you leverage Microsoft's code creation tools.

Personally I don't use it. I tend to write very small apps with unconventional interfaces - MFC would just be overhead for me. MFC really becomes most helpful for larger more complicated apps, especially if they can take advantage of the framework conventions like the document/view model, or if they need to use newer, more complicated features of Windows that require COM.

Cheers,
    Eric

Cheers,
    Eric

• : I know that MFC stands fr Microsoft Foundation Classes, but what it is? How do I get it? Is it helpful for prgramming?
    :

MFC is very helpful for programming. Sadly only MICROSOFT Visual C++ makes it easy to use and has wizards to create app skeletons with it. It follows OOPS(Object Oriented Programming). Everything in it starts off from the CObject. It exitst in your %windir%System directory under the name of MFC42.dll (maybe some other version) Every class in it is called C something. I think to use it your compiler should be able to port it. And most of these free compilers don't port it. I think you also need a header file for it. So I think it's just Microsoft's money making scheme(why else would they go thru all this trouble). Maybe you could import functions from it but I am not sure how to do that.
    Why dont you check out:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmfc/html/msdn_mfc4tech.asp

• : So I think it's just Microsoft's money making scheme(why else would they go thru all this trouble).

LOL! Um, yes, all commercial products are "money making schemes" - this includes cars, slurpies, Cheerios, radios, you name it.

Every compiler vender has their own proprietary libraries to make life easier for the programmer. If programmers like one library more than another, then that product has a competitive advantage, and the company makes more money. Pretty simple dynamic.

Windows programming at the C level is not really palatable to object oriented programmers using C++, so many commercial C++ compilers that target Windows include some sort of class library for Windows programming. Microsoft has MFC. Borland has OWL ( and more recently, VCL).

Cheers,
    Eric

:

MFC takes the raw API of win32 and encapsulates those behaviours for you at a higher level - most mfc funtions have the same name as the api's they are calling for you. MFC can do a lot- it you want to understand what it does then also study the windows API. There are things MFC cant do for you so if you know the API level for somethings then you have more freedom in your programming.

• This post has been deleted.
  • This post has been deleted.
  • MFC is still a very powerful language with traction in various industries. There's a site managed by a few guys with over 35 years of real world experience programming with MFC. You might consider having a look: http://whatismfc.com
  • Thanks for the information.