Coding an OS

hi there,

so i have one important question:

my friend and i we want code a little OS that is based on Windows. win must be startet, then u can start the .exe file of the os.

so, only little OS, nothing great, but which language should we use? (is it possible with Pascal & ASM?) We have probs with the Hardware, is there any way to get hardware infos, bios infos, or how we can do user specified settings like a bootmanager for our OS like LILO on Linux?

hope anybody can help us

Comments

• : hi there,
    :
    : so i have one important question:
    :
    : my friend and i we want code a little OS that is based on Windows. win must be startet, then u can start the .exe file of the os.
    :
    : so, only little OS, nothing great, but which language should we use? (is it possible with Pascal & ASM?) We have probs with the Hardware, is there any way to get hardware infos, bios infos, or how we can do user specified settings like a bootmanager for our OS like LILO on Linux?
    :
    : hope anybody can help us
    :
    :

OS that needs windows? sounds like you are trying to make
    new shell (replacement for COMAND.COM) such as 4DOS...
    There is tons of literature on pc hardware. The best book
    that i know is 'The PC Intern' from german authors (check Amazon, they have it different languages). Don't know what is the latest version (7-8?) , my is still 4.0 but it's still very usefull.
    You can do anything in ASM and Pascal.

Iby

• : OS that needs windows? sounds like you are trying to make
    : new shell (replacement for COMAND.COM) such as 4DOS...
    : There is tons of literature on pc hardware. The best book
    : that i know is 'The PC Intern' from german authors (check Amazon, they have it different languages). Don't know what is the latest version (7-8?) , my is still 4.0 but it's still very usefull.
    : You can do anything in ASM and Pascal.
    :
    : Iby
    :

hi iby,

no no,not a shell, but we dont know how to start. normally we are vb coder, and u know that vb needs windows. so thatz a big project, but we want to do. its good to know, that everything is possible with asm and pascal. so how we should start?

• : no no,not a shell, but we dont know how to start. normally we are vb coder, and u know that vb needs windows. so thatz a big project, but we want to do. its good to know, that everything is possible with asm and pascal. so how we should start?
    :

Hmmm, good question. I never coded my own OS, but
    where would I start?
    I would probably get a really good documentation
    on hardware programing using BIOS (screen, floppy, keyboard,
    mouse, harddrive...), memory management, enviroment,
    file system etc., get tons of source from internet
    (open source OS from other people) and study it.
    Then i would start thinking of what could be my next step...
    I don't know what are you shooting for, I would start
    with something simple to start with (like DOS).
    Of course there is Linux and co. but there are also
    some open DOS projects, so why not join any of them
    and contribute?
    I think I still have somewhere PTS DOS cdrom.
    It is russian DOS, that came in time of MS-DOS 6.
    It's very fast and compact (all in ASM)and all source was
    included on CD. The thing was inexpensive (it costed only
    like $10 US) but could be another good starting point.
    Serching for information on internet might be very
    time consuming and most people prefer reading from paper. Investing in a good book wouldn't hurt...
    Maybe some other guys here would have even better ideas.

Iby

• : Serching for information on internet might be very
    : time consuming and most people prefer reading from paper.
    maybe, but there surely is enough information there about, at least most of the stuff needed to make such a project.

:Investing in a good book wouldn't hurt...
    i agree, but make sure the book is also helpful for other things and not just 1 project unless the size and the cost fit the cause..

: Maybe some other guys here would have even better ideas.
    i'd suggest starting with a simple simulation of how you want your program to look, with pretend file handeling and whatever, but that will have the same interface as your OS and will have the same kind of input etc. with dead ends on most of the more complicated events, and then you'll basically have the model and you'll have figured out how to handle everything the program needs to handle, and all you'll need to do is tell it what to do with all the things it gets.

hope this helps and good luck :)
    [blue]//Noam[/blue]

• I really don't understan how you can programming OS running on Windoze... Especialy how do you want to programming hardware... but it's your problem :) Here are some links to OS programming pages...

(board for OS developers)
    http://os-dev.isa.net.au/boardindex.phtml

(Many information about OS programming)
    http://www.nondot.org/sabre/os/

I hope this will help you...

Tyruk

• Hi everybody,

I think your OS is a very interesting project,but why must it run under Win9x?? An OS doesnt need this.Further Pascal isnt the right language,because it uses a lot of Int21h calls wich are only in a DOS OS.
    The first thing I would do is to write an own bootsector which loads the OS.After that I would try to realize a FAT or so.At the moment I try to code an own bootsector,when you are interested in getting the source,please mail me(friedie90@hotmail.com).The needed tools for developing are the BORLAND Tasm and TLink.Last but not least some ASM-knowlegde is a must to write this OS.(The book "Die professionelle Assembler Referenz" from FRANCIS is good to learn it,but I dont know wether you could get an english version of it).Could you mail me a list of the features you plan to include?Id like to code an OS myself,but havent enough time to do it allone.Could we share the work?? I already had some ASM-experience.

Crow

• :a must to write this OS.(The book "Die professionelle Assembler Referenz" from FRANCIS is good to learn it,but I dont know wether you could get an english version of it).

ein gutes FRANZIS buch ? das gibts doch gar nicht :D

• : :a must to write this OS.(The book "Die professionelle Assembler Referenz" from FRANCIS is good to learn it,but I dont know wether you could get an english version of it).
    :
    : ein gutes FRANZIS buch ? das gibts doch gar nicht :D
    :

ich war auch schockiert :)

iby

• תפסיקו לדבר בשפות שהן לא אנגלית כבר!!
    הבורד הזה מיועד לדיבור באנגלית ואנגלית בלבד.

[blue]//Noam[/blue]

• Hey Leute,

was habt ihr gegen Francis??Gut,besonders ausfhrlich sind die Teile meistens nicht,dafr aber leicht zu kapieren und der Referenzteil ist auch ganz praktisch...

• : was habt ihr gegen Francis??Gut,besonders ausfhrlich sind die Teile meistens nicht

yeah, das is es ja gerade, es steht gar nix drin :)

• dare-mo?
    //Noam

• : : Serching for information on internet might be very
    : : time consuming and most people prefer reading from paper.
    : maybe, but there surely is enough information there about, at least most of the stuff needed to make such a project.
    :
    : :Investing in a good book wouldn't hurt...
    : i agree, but make sure the book is also helpful for other things and not just 1 project unless the size and the cost fit the cause..
    :
    : : Maybe some other guys here would have even better ideas.
    : i'd suggest starting with a simple simulation of how you want your program to look, with pretend file handeling and whatever, but that will have the same interface as your OS and will have the same kind of input etc. with dead ends on most of the more complicated events, and then you'll basically have the model and you'll have figured out how to handle everything the program needs to handle, and all you'll need to do is tell it what to do with all the things it gets.
    :
    : hope this helps and good luck :)
    : [blue]//Noam[/blue]
    :

Well If you need an example you can download windows 2000 source code from bill@microsoft.com