what is xml?

I was just wondering what exactly is XML? Do you have to know HTML to learn it or what? What are XML purposes?

Comments

• xml is "eXtensible Markup Language". in a way, it is a better HTML in that you can define your own tags. m$soft is trying to make it the "lanuage-neutral" communication between various apps...jeez...i dunno what it exacly is.....get a book and lemme know too!

• XML is the W3C's attempt to seperate content from design. As HTML is right now, you use tags like and that are good for design purposes, but do not describe the text that they contain in any way. Content and design are contained in the same document, so it is impossible for the document to serve as both a database and a webpage without some overly creative tagging. With XML, content is contained in XML pages and design is contained in XSL (eXtended Stylesheet Language) pages. For example, in XML you could define a tag called that contains a person's name:

Matt(AA)

Then, in your XSL stylesheet, you could specify that the NAME tag has the properties of bold and italic. The XML page is not cluttered with design tags, so it can also be used as a database kind of thing. For example, an updator program run by an administrator would have no way of differentiating between:

Matt(AA)
    Florida

But a program could differentiate between:

Matt(AA)
    Florida

Hope this helps,
    Matt(AA)

: xml is "eXtensible Markup Language". in a way, it is a better HTML in that you can define your own tags. m$soft is trying to make it the "lanuage-neutral" communication between various apps...jeez...i dunno what it exacly is.....get a book and lemme know too!
    :
    :
    :