do explain about an HTTP serrver.

I couldn't understand by the term HTTP server. how to connect to that server and retrieving info from that or getting a document from that server.
Do tell me.

Comments

• An HTTP server is any computer set up to handle and distribute requests to web browsers on "client" computers. For example:

I have a computer with a text document on my hard drive that says "This is a web page" saved as index.html. When you go to your computer and get on the internet and type in the address to my computer (whatever it may be) your browser will download my index.html and display "This is a web page" on your screen.

Of course all the inbetween stuff is slightly complicated, but I can explain further if you need me too.

• : An HTTP server is any computer set up to handle and distribute requests to web browsers on "client" computers. For example:
    :
    : I have a computer with a text document on my hard drive that says "This is a web page" saved as index.html. When you go to your computer and get on the internet and type in the address to my computer (whatever it may be) your browser will download my index.html and display "This is a web page" on your screen.
    :
    : Of course all the inbetween stuff is slightly complicated, but I can explain further if you need me too.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

Well, i got u'r explanation. I have created a program by which i have created a server (which is running in the same m/c ) and a client prog which asks for a file name and gets the contents of the file to the client.O.S is unix.if i run the server in another directory or anothers login i am unable to get the connections properly (like transfering of files).
    consider if i want to transfer an file from the any domain, consider ftp.com then how will i get to know the ip address and the port no.
    Please do explain about it.

• : : An HTTP server is any computer set up to handle and distribute requests to web browsers on "client" computers. For example:
    : :
    : : I have a computer with a text document on my hard drive that says "This is a web page" saved as index.html. When you go to your computer and get on the internet and type in the address to my computer (whatever it may be) your browser will download my index.html and display "This is a web page" on your screen.
    : : Of course all the inbetween stuff is slightly complicated, but I can explain further if you need me too.
    :
    : Well, i got u'r explanation. I have created a program by which i have created a server (which is running in the same m/c ) and a client prog which asks for a file name and gets the contents of the file to the client.O.S is unix.if i run the server in another directory or anothers login i am unable to get the connections properly (like transfering of files).
    : consider if i want to transfer an file from the any domain, consider ftp.com then how will i get to know the ip address and the port no.
    : Please do explain about it.
    :
    :
    :
    :

There is something called resolv.conf and named etc which resolves the ip address. There is also something called hosts.conf. There are some config file which decides your ip address, don't remember(not sure) one exactly and not on linux right now to tell.

Reagrding the port NO. - FTP, telnet etc are on standard ports - check up in /etc/services file.

Don't change them - These ports are standard for all OS's.