IS there anything besides ChipmunkBasic?

Hello, world! My name is Dr. COM WIZ. By now, you all should know
who I am; I don't have to give another description.
Anyway, I am the guy who asked about a QBasic compiler for Macs,
but that somehow started a huge argument about wether BASIC or C
is a better language. Two out of about 10 messages actualy helped. I
was informed on Chipmink Basic by both. However, every time I try to
download it, there is a problem. The last time, good old Mac said
"The document could not be opened because 'Stuffit' could not be found,"
when I know well that I downloaded both the compiler and Stuffit (and installed it) at
the same time! Is there any other compiler that I can find, one that's
compatible with QBasic (or atleast partially) ?
This has been,
Dr. COM WIZ
P.S. Thank you and goodnight!

Comments

• How about getting one of those emulator programs to use DOS apps on your mac.

: Hello, world! My name is Dr. COM WIZ. By now, you all should know
    : who I am; I don't have to give another description.
    : Anyway, I am the guy who asked about a QBasic compiler for Macs,
    : but that somehow started a huge argument about wether BASIC or C
    : is a better language. Two out of about 10 messages actualy helped. I
    : was informed on Chipmink Basic by both. However, every time I try to
    : download it, there is a problem. The last time, good old Mac said
    : "The document could not be opened because 'Stuffit' could not be found,"
    : when I know well that I downloaded both the compiler and Stuffit (and installed it) at
    : the same time! Is there any other compiler that I can find, one that's
    : compatible with QBasic (or atleast partially) ?
    : This has been,
    : Dr. COM WIZ
    : P.S. Thank you and goodnight!
    :

• : How about getting one of those emulator programs to use DOS apps on your mac.
    :
    :WHAT?!?!?!?!?!??!? Do you really mean that I can use my DOS applications on my school's Macintosh? How do I do it? PLease tell me! That will save me alot code adjusting if I am going to use a different compiler.
    Guess what: I found a nice new Mac compiler called FutureBasic. I found it on the day that I posted my request for another compiler besides CBasic. However, I was a little bit afraid of this compiler because it doesn't know what LOOP means! Also, on when I finally got CBasic to work, it reported a Syntax error at the SCREEN 1 command. If I can just use This service you're telling me about, then I don't have to learn 2 other languages!

• Hey Dr.ComWiz,

Sorry about that thing with sigma. If I had known what I was starting, I wouldn't have bothered. All I wanted to do is give you some support and encouragement.

You have CBasic! Wow, that is old, old, OLD! I used CBasic2.0 on an Osbourne1 back in 83. If you need some help with CBasic, I'll be glad to help. Does your version compile EXE's or COM's? v2.0 just saved the file as a .INT and you needed an interpreter to run the binary .INT file. Oh! I still have a reference manual for CBasic. I'll dig it out.

• I found this

http://www.iit.edu/~sarimar/GDS/metal.html

since I don't have a mac, I haven't tried it. It looked interesting though.

• I'm not a mac user, so i don't know a whole lot about 'em and what's available for macs. But, i've heard that there's some way you can run DOS applications on a mac.
    I'm a PC user though, so I don't know how to go about that. Sorry.

: : How about getting one of those emulator programs to use DOS apps on your mac.
    : :
    : :WHAT?!?!?!?!?!??!? Do you really mean that I can use my DOS applications on my school's Macintosh? How do I do it? PLease tell me! That will save me alot code adjusting if I am going to use a different compiler.
    : Guess what: I found a nice new Mac compiler called FutureBasic. I found it on the day that I posted my request for another compiler besides CBasic. However, I was a little bit afraid of this compiler because it doesn't know what LOOP means! Also, on when I finally got CBasic to work, it reported a Syntax error at the SCREEN 1 command. If I can just use This service you're telling me about, then I don't have to learn 2 other languages!

• : Hey Dr.ComWiz,
    :
    : Sorry about that thing with sigma. If I had known what I was starting, I wouldn't have bothered. All I wanted to do is give you some support and encouragement.
    :
    : You have CBasic! Wow, that is old, old, OLD! I used CBasic2.0 on an Osbourne1 back in 83. If you need some help with CBasic, I'll be glad to help. Does your version compile EXE's or COM's? v2.0 just saved the file as a .INT and you needed an interpreter to run the binary .INT file. Oh! I still have a reference manual for CBasic. I'll dig it out.
    :
    :

• : : Hey Dr.ComWiz,
    : : Sorry about that thing with sigma. If I had known what I was starting, I wouldn't have bothered. All I wanted to do is give you some support and encouragement.
    : : You have CBasic! Wow, that is old, old, OLD! I used CBasic2.0 on an Osbourne1 back in 83. If you need some help with CBasic, I'll be glad to help. Does your version compile EXE's or COM's? v2.0 just saved the file as a .INT and you needed an interpreter to run the binary .INT file. Oh! I still have a reference manual for CBasic. I'll dig it out.
    : Thanks for offering me help with CBasic. There are, actually, some things that I do need help with. It's not about the language, but about the duties of the exetensions. Please tell me what the following extensions do:
    *.INT *.TNK *.DAT *.SEQ *.SND *.BAS(Just kidding!) *.EXE (kidding again!)

Ofcourse, you can answer each at free will. You don't have to telll me all at once if you feel a little lazy. Thanks Again!
    --Dr. COM WIZ

• Thanks for offering me help with CBasic. There are, actually, some things that I do need help with. It's not about the language, but about the duties of the exetensions. Please tell me what the following extensions do:
    : *.INT *.TNK *.DAT *.SEQ *.SND *.BAS(Just kidding!) *.EXE (kidding again!)
    :
    : Ofcourse, you can answer each at free will. You don't have to telll me all at once if you feel a little lazy. Thanks Again!
    : --Dr. COM WIZ
    :
    :
    :

The version I used back in the 80's may be different than what your using. I don't know about the *.TNK, *.SEQ or *.SND

With CBASIC 2.0 the source code(*.BAS) was "compiled" with a program named CBAS2.COM. It produced a binary file with the .INT extension. This file was the binary version of the source code. To run the program I used the program CRUN2.COM with a command like this CRUN2 MYPROG.INT
    All CRUN2 was is an interpreter. CBASIC 2.0 was not a true compiler, but a "psuedo-compiler".

*.DAT is probably a file containing data. I've seen both binary and text data in *.DAT files.

Hey I have the manual. I'll see about scanning some pages so I can post them.

Hope I've helped

• Disregard everything I said about CBasic. You're calling Chipmunk Basic, "Cbasic". Right?

Sorry I had a brain fart. The CBASIC I was talking about is a completely different animal.

• : Disregard everything I said about CBasic. You're calling Chipmunk Basic, "Cbasic". Right?
    :
    : Sorry I had a brain fart. The CBASIC I was talking about is a completely different animal.
    :
    :I thought you knew I referred to ChipmunkBasic as CBasic! I'm sorry. Is CBasic an actual language? Where can I find it? I want all of the BASICs there are!

--Dr. COM WIZ

• : I found this
    :
    : http://www.iit.edu/~sarimar/GDS/metal.html
    :
    : since I don't have a mac, I haven't tried it. It looked interesting though.
    :
    :
    Dud, if all you have to work with is an MAC_crap ... Put it in a terminal program and I'll let you login to my network
    system and compile your programs with QB45. Or if you want something else tell me what you need.
    It's heartbreaking to see someone suffering because of an APPLE_ignorance problem by some I_KNOW_IT_ALL.
    the DigitalMechanic

• : The version I used back in the 80's may be different than what your using. I don't know about the *.TNK, *.SEQ or *.SND
    :

.SEQ is generally the standard extension for sequential files created with BASIC programs (as opposed to random-access files). Of course you don't HAVE to name your files .SEQ - it is merely an arbitrary indication that it is a sequential file. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a QBASIC example:
    [code]
    OPEN "WHATEVER.SEQ" FOR OUTPUT AS #1
    WRITE #1, x$
    CLOSE #1
    [/code]
    Just a guess, but .SND is probably a sound file. I wouldn't have a clue about .TNK.