What should I learn first?

I've been out of the workforce for several years (homemaker) and am considering education in the computer industry. It seems everyone I talk to has constant problems with their pc's and no one has the time or patience to deal with these problems. Most of the problems people experience relate to software or systems crashing due to viruses. From what I've seen regarding computer courses, it would take a lifetime to learn EVERYTHING. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be pursuing to educate myself in computer repair (software related issues) - is programming skills necessary? Also I have no experience in DOS - is it necessary to learn DOS? I am not interested in replacing hardware, but rather diagnosing problems and if the issue is software related finding and implementing solutions. If anyone has any suggestions or online resources to assist me, I'd appreciate the help!

Comments

• : I've been out of the workforce for several years (homemaker) and am considering education in the computer industry. It seems everyone I talk to has constant problems with their pc's and no one has the time or patience to deal with these problems. Most of the problems people experience relate to software or systems crashing due to viruses. From what I've seen regarding computer courses, it would take a lifetime to learn EVERYTHING. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be pursuing to educate myself in computer repair (software related issues) - is programming skills necessary? Also I have no experience in DOS - is it necessary to learn DOS? I am not interested in replacing hardware, but rather diagnosing problems and if the issue is software related finding and implementing solutions. If anyone has any suggestions or online resources to assist me, I'd appreciate the help!

These days I don't think that DOS is really necessary. As for programming languages, the shift is towards object oriented programming.

• In my oppinion you didnt have to be a programmer for repairing PCs( Im coding ASM and Pascal),because most tools are avaiable on the web.But I think you needsome basic DOS-knowledge,because most MS-systems are still using DOS.Even Win ME have a DOS-Shell in it.In WIN-NT you use a DOS-like command-prompt for some administrations-work.And when you must reinstall Win9x and havent the right boot-disk with cd-rom-driver,you must config it by hand.In fact you doesnt need DOS to write a letter with word or so,but to do low-level work on the Win9x/ME OS you need DOS.
    Programming-knowledge is only neccessary when you want to write your own diagnostic-utilities.In this case you could use Assembler and Pascal or within windows C++ and API-programming

• : In my oppinion you didnt have to be a programmer for repairing PCs( Im coding ASM and Pascal),because most tools are avaiable on the web.But I think you needsome basic DOS-knowledge,because most MS-systems are still using DOS.Even Win ME have a DOS-Shell in it.In WIN-NT you use a DOS-like command-prompt for some administrations-work.And when you must reinstall Win9x and havent the right boot-disk with cd-rom-driver,you must config it by hand.In fact you doesnt need DOS to write a letter with word or so,but to do low-level work on the Win9x/ME OS you need DOS.
    : Programming-knowledge is only neccessary when you want to write your own diagnostic-utilities.In this case you could use Assembler and Pascal or within windows C++ and API-programming
    :

i agree in that its useful to be familiar with DOS enough to do some file management, launch programs etc. the biggest problems with PCs these days doesnt appear to be viruses (theyre just the most apparent due to the media), its just dodgy software being downloaded from the web that gets installed and screws up the Windows settings either immediately or a few days after which makes it hard to figure out the cause of the problem.

i think the following skill set would be most useful in being able to fix 90% of computer problems:
    - DOS skills as mentioned above
    - Ability to uninstall/reinstall programs in Windows
    - Know the basic differences between Win95/98/ME/NT which also means having a basic knowledge of how Win works.
    - Ability to format a hard drive and reinstall Windows (a must!)
    - Ive found that it helps to have a decent understanding of hard drives such as replacing them, and setting them up in the system BIOS.

but even if youre an expert in all of these areas, dont expect it to be easy :) but of course, thats just my opinion :)

• MrEd have forgotten one thing:

The Registry is THE CENTRAL thing in Win9x/ME/NT and Ive often must do some changes on the REGISTRY by hand to fix some problems with usersoftware or to tweak WinXX to do like I want.