RPG graphics engine?

Does anyone know what kind of rpg graphics engine i should use? Should i make it tile-based or something else?

Comments

• : Does anyone know what kind of rpg graphics engine i should use? Should i make it tile-based or something else?

Take a look at www.rpgmaker.net/ They have some projects going on.

Usually RPGs do pretty well tile based. If you're good enough, you could make it 3D too.

-Xotor-

• Yeah, it also depends on type of RPG game.

If the game should "go" faster by the mplayer

gaming, i would use the 2d graphic.

• : : Does anyone know what kind of rpg graphics engine i should use? Should i make it tile-based or something else?
    :
    : Take a look at www.rpgmaker.net/ They have some projects going on.
    :
    : Usually RPGs do pretty well tile based. If you're good enough, you could make it 3D too.
    :
    : -Xotor-
    :

Is tile-based the same as grid-based?. I am writing an RPG using a 3d isometric grid

Stephen Cornish
    Ipswich, UK
    stephenpcornish@hotmail.om

• : Is tile-based the same as grid-based?. I am writing an RPG using a 3d isometric grid

Tile-based means for example 32x32 sized tiles, which are drawn part for part on the screen. 640x480 means 300 tiles in one screen. UO is tilebased and most Snes RPG's are tilebased too.

The second way is to draw a big bitmap as background like it's done in baldurs gate. But thats only for high performance pc's.
    And it's a Ram killer if you want to make a big area. AND its faaaaar more work.