Making a game

I am making a game and this is my first time making one. Can some one please help me? if so please email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Utaki

Comments

• : I am making a game and this is my first time making one. Can some one please help me? if so please email me at [email protected]
    :
    : Thanks
    : Utaki
    :
    :

Ok, before you start saying "Well what language do I code it in?" you have to get as much onto paper as you can. After you have done that try and group things into little 'procedures'.
    This will help you when you start to code the game. If you cant code, then try find either someone who will do it for you(fat chance) or get a good book and learn. After that look on the the net for tutorials on game logic, and learn that inside out. Then learn to code windows apps( so you can use Hardware Acceleration, if its 3D ). If it is 3D download Zed3D and go to gamedev.net. Download OpenGL, and go to nehe.gamedev.net. Read through all the tutorials and become an expert in OpenGL, use the concepts in Zed3D to build a fast 3D engine. Use the engine to build a Level and Model Editor, incorporate it all in the end and start looking for a publisher.
    It'll really help if you get a couple of other people to join you, plus you all can share ideas. I'm doing the above and i'm just finishing the core engine, and i'm ready to start the level builder and model builder. If you can't find a good win32 c++ compiler, download the borland c++ 5.5 command line tools and VIDE, thats what I did, and I now have a fast and powerful 3D engine (almost).

PS I'm 16, and i've been coding as long as i can remember!

C' Ya - Hairybudda

• I'm 16 also and I don't even think I got my first computer until I was 13. All I know is html. I am so disapointed in myself.

• Haha, disappointed? Why? At least you are making an attempt. My suggestion would be to learn a programming language before you even attempt at games. I also thought I could just dive right in and pull one out but it doesn't work like that. Don't worry about windows, OpenGL, gfx, and all that stuff until you have mastered basic C++(or some other decent language). I too am 16 and I have been coding since I was about 7. Started in BASIC and moved up from there. Good luck, if you have any questions I'll help as much as I can, [email protected], ICQ:27288320
    : I'm 16 also and I don't even think I got my first computer until I was 13. All I know is html. I am so disapointed in myself.
    :

• : Haha, disappointed? Why? At least you are making an attempt. My suggestion would be to learn a programming language before you even attempt at games. I also thought I could just dive right in and pull one out but it doesn't work like that. Don't worry about windows, OpenGL, gfx, and all that stuff until you have mastered basic C++(or some other decent language). I too am 16 and I have been coding since I was about 7. Started in BASIC and moved up from there. Good luck, if you have any questions I'll help as much as I can, [email protected], ICQ:27288320
    : : I'm 16 also and I don't even think I got my first computer until I was 13. All I know is html. I am so disapointed in myself.
    : :
    :
    :
    You all are pretty lucky. I've been around computers since I was 6, I'm 23 now and just NOW learned c++. I've prog'd in c64, atari, apple, and ms basic, pascal, java, and, my latest conquering, c. Always wanted to program and hearin you guys @16 saying such advanced stuff.. wow, got me feeling my age. :) I'm looking to get into windows based proggin using c or c++. Lookin to program "Hand and Foot" if anyone knows that game, I'm looking for some help. I've got a Lot to learn here. Drop me a line at [email protected]
    -= DiscoPenguin =-

*B-/

• ohmmm well ....
    I think Utaki only wanted an advise in programming a game. Not a "story of my life". 16 and OpenGL expert ... too much time ?
    It's ok to help but your post is like "I'M THE BEST, YOU CAN'T BEAT MEEEEE !!!".

• Hi,

I've learnt Pascal and Delpi. Is it possible to make a decent game in these?

If not I will learn C/C++

David

• : Hi,
    :
    : I've learnt Pascal and Delpi. Is it possible to make a decent game in these?
    :
    : If not I will learn C/C++
    :
    : David
    :
    These are just fine... However its easier to use c/c++ because there are many tutorials and a lot more support for when you get stuck. I was on Pascal also, its not hard to move to c++. But Delphi would be the one you'd want to use, there's more stuff online to help you out

• I started making a game and had to stop for the most basic reason - I didn't have a clear plan. This happened recently, and so it is still fresh in my mind. As that first guy said, you should try to get everything on paper if you can, because then when you actually try to make the game, you will have something to follow, and a goal to look toward.

If you are planning on marketing the game, then you should also make sure that the game you are creating is:
    A: not a copy of something already on the market
    B: something that hardcore game players will enjoy

Before you select a language to program in, write out algorithms for the basic routines, because then even if you don't end up programming the game yourself, the person who does can follow your outline, and if you do it yourself, you will find that most of the bugs have already worked themselves out.

If you want any more help, send me an e-mail to [email protected]

I hope this helped you