I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO PROGRAM, I'M A BEGINNER

someone please help teach me how to program things. i want to know how. i'm a wannabe techy person and i'm very anxious to learn. someone please give me the general things i need to know and the other information that i must know like all the terms and things. please. someone. help me.

Comments

• You could buy a bunch of books, like the C++ Black Book.
    Never read it, heard its good though. (Or choose whatever language you prefer. I like C++, personally.) Or you could use the method I chose: Just download craploads of tutorials, source code and other docs to do with anything programming related and become a really crap programmer like me.
    (Learn C++ in 21 Days isnt exactly a very comprehensive way to learn a language..)

• : You could buy a bunch of books, like the C++ Black Book.
    : Never read it, heard its good though. (Or choose whatever language you prefer. I like C++, personally.) Or you could use the method I chose: Just download craploads of tutorials, source code and other docs to do with anything programming related and become a really crap programmer like me.
    : (Learn C++ in 21 Days isnt exactly a very comprehensive way to learn a language..)
    :

aaaarch, no, not c++ ... Pascal/Delphi is the way baby.
    (Ofcourse, Learn Delphi in 21 Days didn't really help me either ;-))

• My first language was QBASIC, but I would recommend C. Not C++. There are several tutorials out there for any language you choose. This website has links to tuts on any language you can think of. http://www.astentech.com/tutorials/index.html

Another suggestion. I would start with a free compiler. Don't mess around with an interpreter, and don't pay $100's for something until you are sure that programming is something that you really want to do. What I'm saying is, don't buy expensive software until you learn something. There are plenty of free compilers out there. For C I'd suggest Turbo C. You can download it from Programmers heaven. For C++ (or C): DJGPP, and for Pascal: Turbo Pascal.

• hello there,

This might help you.

First decide on certain things.Do you want to be a

* Programmer in the big world OR small world
    * Programmer for the web OR standalone systems
    * Application programmer OR system programmer

Now,

Big world means for systems like Pentiums where you find lots of memory and storage space.
    Small world means for systems like Handheld PC's where space is very less and is of great importance.Your ability to write effective and effecient code will be needed here.

To program for the web you need to understand ,first of all,the concepts of the web(general networks included),the way it functions,how is information shared and transported.You also need to learn about different standards of information sharing like protocols.You NEED NOT learn about diferent operating systems IN DETAIL apart from ,may be ,UNIX/Linux.
    To program for standalone systems you need to learn about the operating system for which you program in DETAIL to be really SUCCESSFUL and the API or whatever it offers.

Application programming generally deals with communicating with software like the OS or drivers etc.You will be creating things like word processor or game maybe.
    System programming deals with more hardware.You also have to learn the Processor (CPU) specific Assembly language.Here you will be normally creating device drivers or A GOOD OPERATING SYSTEM.

-----------------------------------
    Now you decide the language which will be definitely influenced by your field of choice like-

C++ == standalone
    java == web etc.

----------------------------------

After this ,become an algorithm man more than a programmer.

After some time , you can write tutorials for others!.